Monday 7 June 2021

Eating In

A selection of foods I either had delivered or got take away.

Being a southside girl, I don't tend to frequent northside shopping centres. But I happened to need to pop into Chermside, and decided while I was there to suss out some vegan options. There are a lot. I just got a couple of sweet options for snacks and afternoon tea. They have a branch of ice cream chame Gelitissimo there, which in addition to vegan sorbets has rotating flavour of vegan ice cream. After confirming it was coconut free (amazing!), I got a scoop of the flavour of the moment, the vegan Strawberries and Cream. And it was AMAZING. It was so good! I am so sad that they have moved on to a different flavour I am not interested in. They should bring this one back as a permanent option!

Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream from Gelatissimo


I also stopped by Brooklyn Doughnut Co, which had a few vegan options. I got the chocolate raspberry doughnut to take home. It was nice, though the chocolate icing was very thick and a bit too sweet. The doughnut itself was good, and I loved the tart freeze dried raspberries.

Chocolate Raspberry from Brooklyn Doughnut Co


Back home, and one night we got a delivery from Kingsfood Chinese, which has several vegan options and I have ordered from them before. This time I got the vegetarian ho fun, a huge serving of noodles with veggies and tofu. It was hot and delicious. The sauce was a little oily, but really good.

Vegetarian Ho Fun from Kingsfood Chinese


PieFace is a chain of pie shops associated with petrol stations that have some vegan pies and doughnuts. I decided to feed two birds from the one bird feeder, and I stopped in to one to fill up and get lunch! I got the vegan cheeseburger pie, the vegan pastie, and the vegan chocolate crunch doughnut. I also got a Connoisseur Plant Based Brownie ice cream from their freezer. I have seen this ice cream in the supermarkets, but as it is coconut based was reluctant to buy a tub or pack. But a single icecream I was willing to take a chance on, and I am happy to report this falls into the tolerated coconut ice cream category. It was yummy! Though doughnut was just OK, I guess what you would expect from a petrol station doughnut. The vegan cheeseburger pie was fun, but my surprise favourite was the vegan pastie. Just something about tasty root vegetables in pastry really hit my in the right way.

Cheeseburger Pie, Vegan Pastie, Vegan Chocolate Crunch Doughnut, ice cream from Pie Face


Finally a delicious drink from my favourite Huey's Sugarcane and Coconut Juice stall in Garden City. This one was watermelon cococane (sugarcane and coconut juice... a terribly portmanteau), and it was delicious.

Watermelon Cococaine from Huey's


4 comments:

  1. The doughnut is gorgeous and I eat so much with my eyes I'd probably love it on principle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chermside is one of the shopping centres of my teen years, it has clearly changed enormously since then. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much vegan food there! And a lot of shops. It is very big.

      Delete