Sunday 8 October 2023

Recipe Round-Up: Cookin' Crunk

Just a little post today, I wasn't sure if I'd blog at all, but I got some late Sunday afternoon motivation to do a little something. This is a few recipes from my continuing adventures through Cookin' Crunk by Bianca Phillips. See other recipes from this book I've posted about here.

Creamy Squash Casserole and Tofu Chicken: The tofu chicken recipe book in this good is great - such a good marinade! I had lots of marinade in left over, so I froze it for future tofu chicken adventures. I didn't have adobo seasoning or poultry seasoning though, so I used a mix of garlic and onion powders, salt, chili-free cajun spice blend, celery seeds, and sage. It worked a treat. I served it with some Creamy Squash Casserole, which has rice and summer squash (I used zucchini). This is recipe looks very simple, but it is absolutely delicious!
Rating: Tofu :), Casserole :D

Creamy Squash Casserole; Tofu Chicken


Unfried Corn: This is a quick recipe that uses frozen corn kernals (very handy). It is quite sweet, so I would decrease the amount of sugar in it substantially next time (it is only 1.5 tsp, but alongside the sweet corn that is quite a bit). The corn is cooked in a creamy soy-milk mixture, which is simmered off. I served it with some BBQ tofu and some green beans.
Rating: :)

Un-fried Corn


Baked Curried Sweet Tater Fries: These were some very nice fries! I took the option to bake them, rather than deep fry, because I don't like deep frying stuff. I made the seasoning me-friendly by using mild curry powder, smoked paprika to replace the cayenne powder, and some extra salt. Great alongside a burger.
Rating: :)

Curried Sweet Tater Fries


Mama's Mac and Tomatoes: This is pretty simple, with macaroni and fresh tomatoes and basil. It is also really good! The tomatoes make this incredible broth. You definitely want to make sure that you are using the best tomatoes you can for this. I served it with some herby tofu and roasted broccoli.
Rating: :)

Mama's Mac and Tomatoes


Vanilla Spice Cupcakes: These are an easy to make cupcake recipe, that go great however you want to serve them. The recipe in the book pairs them with a pumpkin buttercream. I was making these for pink-themed bake sale, so instead I filled them with strawberry jam and topped them with pink strawberry flavoured buttercream.
Rating: :)

Vanilla Spice Cupcakes


This would have been my final Cookin' Crunk post, but I have a few tempeh things I want to make on my week off that I have coming up, so I have saved a couple of other photos to go along with that. Stay tuned!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Eloise


Eloise being a little bunny baby having a nap with my black cat face cushion on my bed.



9 comments:

  1. I appreciate these recipe reviews. I have this cookbook but haven’t made anything out of it in years, you’re inspiring me to open it up again. I do remember very much liking the pecan waffles, and I think I also used to make the cole slaw regularly. I’ll have to try some of the recipes you liked, that squash casserole and tofu look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I hope you find some fun new things to make from the book.

      Delete
  2. I second the good rating for the Mac and Tomatoes. So yummy 😋 - Sri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you as I was typing this up!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. A fancy piping tip makes all the difference!

      Delete
  4. Awww! Thanks for posting this! I am just catching up on your recent posts, and this was a lovely surprise. I'm glad all the recipes worked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had so much fun going through the book again. I have a couple more things I still want to make, and then there will be a final post.

      Delete
  5. Fun post! It makes me want to pull out my copy! Have you made Bianca's hushpuppies? I remember that being a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete