Sunday 5 February 2023

Recipe Round-Up: Cook Share Eat Vegan

Let's get back into a cookbook, shall we? Continuing on with Cook Share Eat Vegan, by Aine Carlin. You can see previous posts about this book here.

Warm Potato Salad: This recipe is meant to have samphire in it, but I cannot find that anywhere here. Instead I did some googling and replaced it with some asparagus. The potatoes are first cooked until soft, then are cut and seared on a hot pan to get them a bit crispy. It is lightly seasoned and dressed with lemon juice. I left out the fresh raw spring onions as garnish but used extra fresh dill.
Rating: :)

Warm Potato Salad


Stir-Fried Soba Noodles with Aubergine Medallions: This is from the spicy chapter, but of course I left out the chili and sriracha from the noodles. The soba noodles have a light citrus sauce, and have onion and green vegetables cooked with them. It is topped with eggplant slices, that I baked rather than grilled, that are smeared with a lovely miso sauce.
Rating: :)

Stir-Fried Soba Noodles with Griddled Aubergine Medallions


Falafel Shakshuka: This recipe calls for ready made falafels, which I appreciated from a time perspective, an simmers them in a spiced tomato and eggplant sauce. I of course left out the spicy parts! It is served with flatbreads (I used store bought pita) and a lovely tahini and poomegranate sauce. I didn't have any taragon to serve, so I just used parsley.
Rating: :)

Falafel Shakshuka


My Favourite Penne ala Norma: This is a wonderful simple dish of penne, tomatoes, and eggplant. Punched up with some capers, though I left out the chili as per usual. What makes it extra special is the homemade tofu ricotta that you top it with. You will have left over ricotta, and it is fantastic on crackers or sandwiches as well. Overall, this is a really fantastic meal.
Rating: :D

My Favourite Penne Alla Norma


Easy Korean Ramen Bowl: Most of the recipes in today's post come from the spicy chapter, so just assume I am leaving out the spicy part. I did have to do a little sub magic for this recipe, which called for gochujang. I didn't have time to make my own spice-free version, so I just added a bit of tomato paste with some extra soy sauce and miso. This recipe also has a but of peanut butter in the broth, yum! The noodles are loaded up with a bunch of different veggies and tofu, and topped with a very easy quick pickled cucumber recipe.
Rating: :)

Easy Korean Ramen Bowl


'Chip-Shop' Vegetable Curry: This is inspired by UK takeaway food, apparently inauthentic curry served over rice and hot chips. This recipe calls for vegetables, but I also added some chickpeas to bulk it up a bit. You can serve it over whatever you wish, I did not go the hot chips option, instead being more basic for dinner with rice and spinach.
Rating: :)

'Chip-Shop' Vegetable Curry


BBQ-Coated Tofu Kebabs: These were meant to be coated with Harissa, but absolutely not. I went for the much more friendly BBQ option. The tofu does need to be marinated for at least a couple of hours before hand, so make sure to leave time!
Rating: :)

BBQ-Coated Tofu Kebabs


Quinoa-Stuffed Tomatoes: Moving out of the spice chapter, into the grain chapter. The quinoa mix includes corn, peas, onion, zucchini, and pesto. I could barely taste the pesto, and I ended up adding some nutritional yeast to the mix to get a bit more flavour. It makes way more than you will need to stuffing your tomatoes, so I served the stuffed and baked tomatoes over baby spinach, cauliflower, and the leftover quinoa mix. This is a very light meal.
Rating: :)

Quinoa-Stuffed Tomatoes


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Mirabelle


Mirabelle on her ladybug cushion.



4 comments:

  1. Is the lady bug part of the cushion? They look perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is part of the pattern on the cushion. It's actually a terrible cushion for human purposes, but is purrrrfect for kitties.

      Delete
  2. Koreans do like spicy food, but there are some less spicy options. I can't quite picture a not-spicy gochujang--so much of the flavor comes from chiles--but I wonder if roasted bell pepper would do something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a recipe in a book called Bold Vegan Flavours that I took all the chilli out of. It is largely based on miso and some other stuff. So while obviously nothing like what it is meant to be, it still has a very lovely flavour profile.

      Delete