Saturday 16 April 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Celebrate Vegan

Time for another trip through the things I have made from Celebrate Vegan. You can see the other posts about this book here.

Golden Millet Pilaf with Noochy Broccoli: This was two random recipes slapped together, also served with some falafel bites and some tahini sauce. I made the millet pilaf in the rice cooker, because I love how easy that makes things, and I made a half recipe. The pilaf has olives, spinach, garlic, green onions, and a bunch of herbs and spices. The colour comes from turmeric. I paired it up with some Noochy Broccoli, which is a broccoli and nutritional yest puree. I added extra nooch, used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, and left out the red pepper flakes.
Rating: Pilaf :), Broccoli :)

Golden Millet Pilaf; Noochy Broccoli


Prismatic Wild Rice Salad: I made a half recipe of this over summer, which I needed something colourful and cool. It has cranberries, celery (which I used instead of raw red onion), peas (which I used instead of edamame, they hurt my guts), corn, carrot, coriander, and I also added some tinned kidney beans. Rather than using straight up wild rice, I used a microwave pack of wild, red, and brown rice, which gave extra fun colour. Served over baby spinach.
Rating: :)

Prismatic Wild Rice Salad


Ramen Noodle Bowl: This recipe is so easy! Every thing is simmered together in the one pot. It has onion, cabbage, carrot, mushrooms and broccoli in it. I used some Soyco Japanese Tofu instead of edamame, and I also added some corn. The vegetables do get a little mushy in this, but it is in a really comforting sort of way. Definitely recommend for a cold night when you need something quick and easy. I loved this.
Rating: :D

Ramen Noodle Bowl


Farfalle with Shallots and Chard: This is a lovely dish, with sauteed shallots adding some nice sweetness. I did not use farfalle for this, I used trevelle (only 200g, not 450g), and I also added some butter beans for protein. The recipe says nutritional yeast for sprinkling, I mixed about 1/4 cup through the finished dish.
Rating: :)

Farfalle with Shallots and Chard


Sag Paneer: This was a little bland, and not in that good way, just in a meh way. It uses dry-fried tofy for the paneer, and the spinach sauce has plenty of spices in it, but it just didn't quite hit the spot I wanted. It calls for 'vegan half-and-half' for the sauce, which who if that exists, so I used soy cream.
Rating: :|

Sag Paneer


Island Style Tofu: This recipe is meant to be made with tempeh, but I live with tempeh haters, so I used tofu intead. The tofu is marinated in a pineapple/citrus/herbs/other blended marinade, which is then reduced after the marinating to make the sauce for the fried tofu. I did leave out the harissa in the sauce, and replaced it with some tomato paste, and I made a half recipe of the sauce and used a 300g block of tofu.
Rating: :)

Island-Style Tofu


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Baby kitten


Tiny kittens may be smol, but they screm loud!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, loud screamy kittens!

    Vegan half-and-half, for what it is worth: https://silk.com/plant-based-products/creamer/dairy-free-half-and-half-alternative/

    There are actually several brands I know of, but that one is sold near me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittens scream so loud considering how small they are!

    Half and half isn't a thing in Australia! For years I thought it was just low fat milk, until I looked it up for this recipe. They recommend a mix of cream and milk to make a homemade version, but I had the cream to use up so I just went with all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they call it "single cream" an "double cream" in some countries, versus our "half and half" and "heavy cream." But those are still not quite the same things.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks incredible! And soooooooo small and adorable :) Can't wait to see more pics of the lil ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah! Cute screamy baby!

    ReplyDelete