Monday 26 August 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 #26: X is for Xocolatl



X was always going to be a bit tricky. But thanks to Google, there is this handy list of foods that start with X. I decided to take the easiest option, and go with Xocolatl. From that webpage 'the English word chocolate is derived from the Spanish word for it, which was derived from the Aztec language Nahuatl. In Mexican pre-Hispanic traditions, the Aztecs prized cacao beans and used them as currency as well as food for the upper classmen. They transformed cacao into a beverage called Xocolatl, which later came to be known as "chocolate.'

Earlier this year, I did a package swap with a friend who lives in Philadelphia. I put together a fun package, the regular size for package swaps, to send to her. But then... oh my gosh... I got sent the biggest box of goodies I have ever received. I was amazed! And inside, it was full of chocolate! Also some other cute stuff like pins, stickers, lip balm, and more... oh my! Anyway, if you don't believe me how much chocolate was inside this box, behold!

Care Package from Amanda


Yeah, it is bounty of chocolate. And strangely, I haven't eaten that much of it. Almost like I was too overwhelmed by the sheer amount... where to begin? You will be proud to know that I have overcome this, and have started sampling my way through. Let's take a closer look!

A big theme of the package was Justin's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, which are my dessert island food. I love these so much! She sent a few bags of the minis, and also included a bag of these Unreal mini cripsy PB cups. I'd seen Food For Dissertating post about them, and I was curious to see how they measured up. I am super picky about my peanut butter cups. Verdict: I really like them! The chocolate is good and dark, I like the salty crispy peanut butter filling. Justin's is still my number one, but these are not far off.

Chocolate from Amanda


I love Little Secrets, they are so crunchy and fun! I have tried the regular ones, and the salted peanut ones. So far the salted peanut ones are my favourite! But I still have the almond ones to try.

Chocolate from Amanda


I also got a hefty stash of original sized Justin's PB cups, as well as some of their cashew and almond butter ones to try. I haven't tried any of the non PB ones yet, but I am looking forward to trying them!

Chocolate from Amanda


I don't know how I haven't tried any of the Little Secrets Crispy Wafers yet, I was so excited to get them! I imagine they will be like Kit Kats? Who knows. I need to get onto eating some, for research! I love the Peanut Chews, they are salty and peanutty and chewy and chocolatey. The eggs are some peanut butter filled easter eggs. The chocolate was a bit thick in these, I like a good peanut butter to chocolate ratio.

Chocolate from Amanda


I haven't tried any of these yet. These are all new to me brands! I am especially looking forward to that 95% Wicked Dark one. I hope it is really dark. Blog friends know I like my chocolate dark, angry, and bitter with the world.

Chocolate from Amanda


Chocolate from Amanda


Chocolate from Amanda


Theo is one of my favourite brands, plus it is from Seattle! I have had the cherry almond chocolate before and it is one of my favourite flavours of theirs. The peanut butter cups are OK, they are definitely third behind Justin's and Unreal. The peanut butter just isn't strong enough in the chocolate for my preferences.

Chocolate from Amanda


And finally, I told Amanda that I was amused by ridiculous things. And boy did she deliver with this block! As often with ridiculous things, the flavour isn't quite as ridiculous as the description. This tastes like a caramelised banana chocolate, with some crunchy bits in it (which seem to be the charcoal coconut, but they don't add much flavour). Anyway, it is really nice, as well as funny.

Chocolate from Amanda


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Jed in Bed


In happier clinic cat news, sweet Jed continues to be happy, healthy, and adorable. Here he is in one of his many beds.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! What an amazing package to receive! I'm with you, for peanut butter cups you can beat Justin's. They are the best. I actually really love peanut chews as well. I don't think they are really popular here but when I found out they are vegan I was so happy! All of the specialty chocolate looks amazing, I haven't seen some of it before! I really need to try the Little Secrets, they look so fun!

    Yay for happy, healthy Jed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Secrets are definitely worth getting if you can find them!
      Justin's really have just perfected the peanut butter cup.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. International swaps are so fun! But I get tempted to send ALL THE THINGS and then I feel quite poor for a while. I'm glad you liked the Unreal cups. Justin's is great, too. And I have a third local option near me, but it costs more than the others so I hardly ever buy it--but they have cashew butter cups and almond butter cups and they're a nice change of pace sometimes. Even so, I doubt I would be quite so generous as your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. In this case, Amanda really did send ALL THE THINGS! I'm still in awe, several months later.

      Delete
  4. So much chocolate! I'm not surprised that you are still working your way through them all, haha!
    Jed looks so soft and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes those crazy flavors aren't as crazy tasting in the end.

    And yey peanut chews! I love them, but I know the chocolate is FEP approved, but it doesn't stop me trying to find the fun size chocolates each year for halloween for trick or treaters

    ReplyDelete