Monday 3 September 2018

VeganMoFo 2018 #3: Recipe Round-Up: One Dish Vegan


One Dish Vegan is a cookbook full of easy recipes that, you guessed it, come together in one dish. It is by vegan cookbook stalwart Robin Robertson. You can see the other recipes I have blogged from this book here.

My Thai Soup with Asparagus: A fragrant lemongrass and ginger broth is simmered (it is meant to have chiles, but I left them out), then filled with jasmine rice, tofu, asparagus, and rounded out with some coconut milk (light, of course), tofu, lime, and thai basil (though I used coriander as a sub). I found this to have a very strong lime flavour, but I think my lime was on the larger side. I accidentally added the asparagus a bit early, so it was softer than it should have been, so don't be like me!
Rating; :)

My Thai Soup with Asparagus


Devil's Food Chilli: I made a half recipe of this and got three servings, served over a baked potato and with some spinach for greens. I left out the serrano chiles, and reduced the chili powder to just a tiny sprinkle. In the absence of significant heat, this sauce was almost a bit sweet. It has eggplant, msuhrooms, and blach beans in it, and is garnished with kalamata olives.
Rating: :)

Devil's Food Chili


Seitan and Asparagus with Orange-Sesame Sauce: This recipe was very yum! I served it over rice, and got three serves (rather than four). The orange sauce is creamy from tahini, and I kept mine nice and mild. Once the sauce is whisked up, it is very quick and simple to make.
Rating: :)

Seitan and Asparagus with Orange-Sesame Sauce


Fettuccine with Creamy Cannellini Tomato Sauce: Cannellini beans are blended into a tomato sauce to make a nice, creamy, protein-full sauce. As the sauce was being blended, rather than using one tin of crushed tomatoes and 1 tin of diced tomatoes, I just used two tins of diced. I used about 9 ounces of linguine, and added some peas and broccoli as well. Served with some spinach and some soy-glazed gluten strips.
Rating: :)

Fettuccine with Creamy Cannelini Tomato Sauce


Fusilli with Green Beans and Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes are seasoned and cooked down to make a nice sauce for the pasta. As well as the green beans and some kalamata olives, I took the suggestion and added a couple of home made sausages to bulk it up a bit. I used 250g of large spiral pasta in this.
Rating; :)

Fusilli with Green Beans and Tomatoes


Vegetable Lo Mein: I love a quick Asian-style noodle dish, and if you add hoisin sauce into the mix I am sold. This uses linguine for the noodles, and is packed full of broccoli, carrot, scallions, tofu, and mushrooms!
Rating: :)

Vegetable Lo Mein


Southwest Mac and Queso: The queso here is a blend of white beans, tinned tomatoes (they are meant to have green chiles in them, but we don't really have that here, I must have made this a long time ago, as I seem to have added a seeded green chile to this), nutritional yeast (I added extra), and lots of seasoning. It is poured over cooked pasta and cauliflower (I also added peas). It is topped with crushed tortilla strips, and optional vegan cheese (I used Vegusto melty).
Rating: :)

Southwestern Mac and Queso


Tempeh and Eggplant Moussaka: I couldn't really get a pretty photo of the inside of this, so enjoy the second weird photo of a pile of stuff. Potatoe and eggplant slices are layered into a 9 x 13 inch pan, and filled with tempeh cooked in tomato sauce. I used some bottled pasta sauce for this, and had to add a bit more than the one cup required as it seemed a bit dry otherwise. I only really got enough for two layers or vegetables, and one layer of tempeh using this size of pan. The creamy sauce is made from silken tofu, cannellini beans, and non-dairy milk.
Rating: :)

Tempeh and Eggplant Moussaka


Tempeh and Eggplant Moussaka


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Gizmo and Sahara


Gizmo and Sahara were both quite good at posing. Here they are doing some high-skill tandem modeling.

7 comments:

  1. I love Robin Robertson! She was the author of the first vegan cookbook I ever bought!
    I always find her recipes easy to follow, budget friendly and she doesn't use a lot of complicated ingredients!
    Gizmo and Sahara do have the art of the pose down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes great cookbooks! Do you have Vegan on the Cheap? That is excellent for budget friendliness as well.

      Delete
  2. I love one dish meals. Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very satisfying about everything in the one dish.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so good! I love vegetable lo mein but haven't thought to include tofu in it, and the mac and queso sounds fun, too! Cute posing kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally put tofu in any sort of Asian style noodle or rice dish. A great way to add some extra protein, and also I just really love tofu.

      Delete
  4. These recipes look really yummy and very different from each other.

    ReplyDelete