Wednesday 13 January 2016

Recipe Round-Up: Oh She Glows

I have been really enjoying Oh She Glows since I bought it, and I have made quite a lot out of it. It is a great book. I have blogged about individual dishes a couple of times, but this is the first full recipe round-up I have done from it. With many more to come!

Cashew Cheese-Quinoa Burrito and Chakra Caesar Salad with Nutty Herb Croutons: I loved these burritos, the cheese sauce is amazing! In fact, I think they could have been saucier! I got 6 using large tortillas, rather than 4. They were so nice! The salad was OK, I wasn't a huge fan of the dressing (though my mum liked it), I found it a bit bitter. The nutty herb croutons were fun. A blended up mix of of nuts, onion, herbs and flaxseed that is then broken into little bits and baked. They didn't really go crunchy, but they tasted good. Though I needed to add extra salt.
Rating: Burritos :D, Salad :|, Croutons :)

Broccoli & Cashew Cheese-Quinoa Burrito; Chakra Caesar Salad with Nutty Herb Croutons


Glowing Strawberry-Mango Guacamole and Life-Affirming Warm Nacho Dip: I made this combination for a movie watching day when I had a friend over. The guacamole is very sweet and refreshing. I originally forgot to add lime, though it was still good, then I added it and it was even better. I used sliced green shallots (scallions) rather than raw onion. The nacho dip lives up to its name, the cheese sauce is AWESOME! I left out the chili and cayenne to make it mild, and I used a mild chunky salsa instead of marinara based on a tip from Cadry. I used panko crumbs for the crunchy topping.
Rating: Guacamole :), Nacho Dip :D

Glowing Strawberry-Mango Guacamole; Life-Affirming Warm Nacho Dip


Grilled Portobello Burger with Sun-Dried Tomato Kale-Hemp Pesto, Lightened-Up Crispy Baked Fries and Perfect Kale Chips: This was a fun dinner. The burgers are made up of marinated and grilled mushrooms topped with pesto and other toppings. The pesto was a bit bitter at first, but mellowed after an hour or two. This recipe makes for two burgers with leftover pesto, so would be easy to increase. These aren't filling burgers, so I was happy for the sides. The fries are amazing, I did need to bake for a bit longer than recommended (45 minutes rather than 35), but they were worth the wait. The kale chips were also fun. I made a small batch using about 3 leaves of kale, which covered two baking trays. There are optional seasonings to add, but I kept it just plain salt and pepper.
Rating: Burgers :), Fries :D, Kale Chips :)

Grilled Portobello Burger with Sun-Dried Tomato Kale-Hemp Pesto; Lightened-Up Crispy Baked Fries; Perfect Kale Chips


Spa-Day Bircher Muesli: I made this to use up some leftover yoghurt, which was sweetened vanilla flavour, so this was sweeter for me than it would be otherwise. It is a nice blend of oats, seeds and fruit. Though I really need to not grate my knuckles every time I try and grate and apple! This was a good breakfast.
Rating: :)

Spa Day Bircher Muesli


Loaded Savoury Oatmeal: This quick and easy recipe combines overnight oats with a savoury blend. According to the recipe it serves two, but truthfully I only got one serving and even that was a little light on for the big day I had. I topped mine with hummus, avocado, tomato, parsley and tortilla chips.
Rating: :)

Loaded Savoury Oatmeal & Lentil Bowl


Classic Green Monster Smoothie: I always enjoy trying new smoothie recipes. This was good, though I prefer my own regular green smoothie recipe and it wasn't very filling. I used baby spinach leaves for the green, and took the options of peanut butter (instead of almond butter) and LSA (instead of chia or flaxseed).
Rating: :)

Classic Green Monster


Flu-Fighter Sunshine Smoothie: I made this when I was starting to feel sickly one day. The next day I was super sick. I don't blame the smoothie though, I am sure it did its best but sometimes lurgies are just going to happen. Still, it was a refreshing citrus blend of orange and lemon, with some ginger and cayenne to spice it up. Nice even if you aren't trying to fend off a bug.
Rating: :)

Flu-Fighter Sunshine Smoothie


Creamy Avocado-Potato Salad: This salad is the bomb. It is so tasty! It has roasted potatoes and asparagus! In a dilly avocado dressing! I must confess that I snacked on the yummy roasted potato cubes quite a bit before putting the salad together. I also added lots more dill because 2 tablespoons is a nothing about. So good.
Rating: :D

Creamy Avocado-Potato Salad


Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew: This is a combination I can never get enough of - sweet potato, tomatoes and peanut butter in a definitely soothing soup/ I left out the capsicum and the jalapeno, and added in 2 scantcups of cooked brown rice, frozen peas and extra spinach.
Rating: :)

Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew


On The Mend Spiced Red Lentil-Kale Soup: I found this to be quite a bland broth, though I had decreased the chili powder by a bunch so probably a lot of the flavour comes from that. I only needed to use the original 5 cups of broth. I also added a 150g bag of baby kale leaves at the end instead of torn regular kale.
Rating: :|

On The Med Spiced Red Lentil-Kale Soup


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Caesar


This handsome fellow is Caesar, and this photo was taken while he was in boarding. Caesar is a kitty from my PhD study, and he is super handsome.

11 comments:

  1. Very handsome kitty. The recipes in this book do tend to be heavy on "superfoods". But yours look tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very handsome kitty. The recipes in this book do tend to be heavy on "superfoods". But yours look tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just got this book too! I made the lentil soup last week and loved it. I also keep making the gym rat smoothie although not after a trip to the gym ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super keen to make the gym rat smoothie, but I am yet to do it. I think because it isn't green and my brain is silly and thinks that smoothies must have green in them.

      Delete
  4. This is a great book. I must make more from it. There is an Orange Miso dressing that is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I've had this cookbook for months and have only made a couple of things from it. How do I always forget about my cookbooks? I'm glad you rated all of these recipes because I'm going to promptly go through the ones with the :D ratings and probably the others as well.
    "I made this when I was starting to feel sickly one day. The next day I was super sick. I don't blame the smoothie though"
    That sucks :( Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made that smoothie quite a while ago, so am feeling better from that time. Unfortunately I am a bit under the weather again right now... probably am not going to make that smoothie again just in case. ;)
      I have really enjoyed this book though, I think you will find nice things in it!
      Oh, make the PB cookie dough bites! I didn't include them in this round up but they are soooooo good.

      Delete
  6. They are delicious! My favourite part about them - the picture in the 'Oh She Glows' recipe book displays the front bite with two kitty hairs on it! I always just tell myself it's extra protein when I find them in mine. ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are delicious! My favourite part about them - the picture in the 'Oh She Glows' recipe book displays the front bite with two kitty hairs on it! I always just tell myself it's extra protein when I find them in mine. ��

    ReplyDelete