Wednesday 10 September 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 #7: Robin Robertson Rocks - 1000 Vegan Recipes


This book is my Everest, though lately there have been so many other new cookbooks crowding my shelves that I have fallen behind in trying to cook everything from it. But I have a lot of photos saved up to share!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus... I know what you are thinking... capsicum? One of the only ways I ever eat capsicum is roasted, skinned and whizzed into something. I made this for a christmas party, so it wasn't strictly for me to eat. But I was surprised that it was actually rather lovely, especially with some refreshing cucumber slices.
Rating: :)

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


White Bean and Dill Hummus is much more my usual style, I can't get enough of dill. This recipe called for 1/4 cup fresh dill, but when it comes to dill I think the more the merrier!
Rating: :)

White Bean and Dill Hummus


Three Bean Dip is made up of white beans, chickpeas and edamame, so has a lovely pale green colour. I found it was a bit too dry and gluggy, so I added in about 1/3 of a cup of water while I was processing and then it turnedout great.
Rating: :)

Three-Bean Dip


Black bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip has a lot of flavour, including beans, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and herbs. The recipe called for the oil-packed kind of sun-dried tomato, but I really don't like how oily they are, so I used the other kind that I soaked in some hot water to get soft.
Rating: :)

Black Bean and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip


Creamy Spinach-Tahini Dip is definitely a crowd pleaser. It uses fresh spinach that is lightly steamed until wilted, so it is a bit more effort than the usual 'throw everything in and blend' recipes, but really not much. Great on crackers with tomato!
Rating: :)

Creamy Spinach-Tahini Dip


White Bean and Artichoke Spread comes together very quickly, and is a great addition for sandwiches. The recipe says to sprinkle to olives on top, but if you are keeping some as a spread just mix them through. It won't look quite as pretty, but then you will get olives in every bite.
Rating: :)

White Bean and Artichoke Spread


Brown Rice and Lentil Pilaf and asparagus dressed in Citrus Vinaigrette makes a lovely, light dinner. The vinaigrette combines lemon, orange and lime juices. I find olive oil can taste quite strong in dressings, so I used a bit more citrus juice and a bit less oil. I only got 1/3 cup out of this recipe, rather than 1/2 cup. The pilaf came together quickly, and bonus points for the rice cooking in the time the recipe said, yay.
Rating: Pilaf :) , Vinaigrette :)

Brown Rice and Lentil Pilaf; Citrus Vinaigrette with asparag


Quinoa and Chickpea Pilaf with Orange and Pistachios, Zucchini Walnut Fritters and Vegan White Sauce made for a fun dinner, fritters are always fun! For the pilaf I only used one tin of chickpeas, rather than two, because I knew I was serving it with other things. The orange and pistachio give the pilaf a really nice flavour and texture. The fritters were a little smooshy, I think maybe I should have tried pressing more moisture out of my zucchini, but they went great with yummy sauce.
Rating: Pilaf :), Fritters :), Sauce :)

Quinoa and Chickpea Pilaf with Orange and Pistachios; Zucchini Walnut Fritters; Vegan White Sauce


Golden Couscous Salad and Orange Dressed Asparagus made a lovely summer dinner. The salad made a large amount, so I had lots left for lunches. In the salad I used corn rather than capsicum, and I also used parsley as I had no coriander. I made a slight adjustment to the asparagus recipe - I roasted, rather than steamed, the asparagus. I can't get enough of roasted asparagus. The dressing for the asparagus made plenty, so it was nice to have some salad to spoon it onto as well!
Rating: Salad :), Asparagus :)

Golden Couscous Salad; Orange-Dressed Asparagus


Johnnycakes, Tempeh Bacon and rockmelon made a great birthday breakfast for myself one year. I found the Jonnycake batter a bit temperamental, if the pan was too hot it splatters and went so thin it almost seemed to scramble, so I found starting on a low heat and then increasing the heat to cook through helped a lot. Johnnycakes are cornmeal pancakes. I've blogged the tempeh bacon before, it is my favourite tempeh bacon recipe.
Rating: Johnnycakes :), Bacon :D

Johnnycakes; Tempeh Bacon; rockmelon


(% 1000 Vegan Recipes blogged: 20.3%)(I keep a running tally of the number of recipes I have blogged from this book)

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Byron


Byron is another one of our adoption cats, he is a year and a half and is a magnificent, fluffy person. He has a very special friend, who I will introduce you to in the next post!

4 comments:

  1. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red34\green34\blue34;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

    \f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 I'd never have thought of putting dill in hummus but can imagine it's great. Your posts are inspiring me to try new things from my books rather than sticking to the same old favourites.}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't cook from this book anywhere near often enough, although it just so happens I did last night! I made the Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup with Baby Spinach and it made a delicious dinner, and lunch today.
    I might try those johnnycakes on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a cookbook champion! My cookbooks are mostly wasted because I only make a very small handful of recipes each time I buy a new one, and then I just keep making the same recipes over and over again. Dummy!

    Byron does look like a magnificent, fluffy person. I hope Byron and Maple get adopted together soon!

    ReplyDelete