Sunday 21 September 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 #14: Robin Robertson Rocks - Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker



I've had a super busy few days at work, too busy to read or post anything for MoFo. So here is my next post, and I am going to go and attack the rather large number of unread posts in my Feedly. Hope everyone is having a great September!

A few years ago I was given a slow cooker, and a year later I bought a second, larger one. I just love the idea of slow cookers and slow cooking, of coming home to delicious, ready cooked meal. Of course that doesn't happen, when I work I am out of the house for twelve hours, and I have no time for prepping anything into a slow cooker before I leave for work!

Wild Mushroom Risotto turns out a bit gluggy, but the taste very nice. This made more like 3 servings rather than four. Leftovers are great made into risotto balls. The photo here is a big batch I made for a Christmas party (serve with cranberry sauce, yum), but if you have more time I highly recommend stuffing with some melty cheese (I love Sheese smoked cheddar here) and made into arancini.
Rating: :)

Wild Mushroom Risotto


Wild Mushroom Risotto Balls


Farmhouse Fricassee gives a choice of seitan or tempeh (I chose seitan) and lots of vegetables. I got three big servings out of this recipe, which was absolutely delicious!
Rating: :D

Farmhouse Fricassee


Miso-Braised Tofu and Shallots only has a few ingredients, but the result is amazing. Succulent, tasty tofu and sweet shallots, I served it with some brown rice and baby pak choy.
Rating: :D

Miso-Braised Tofu and Shallots


Slow-Fashioned Potpie with Biscuit Crust is so damn tasty. The biscuit crust is baked on top of the filling during the last hour of cooking in the slow cooker. The crust had quite a strong olive oil taste, and only just covered the top of my 3.5L oval cooker, but went nice and brown and delicious.
Rating: :D

Slow-Fashioned Potpie with Biscuit Crust


Cornbread-Topper Southwestern Potpie was kind of bland, but in the good sort of way. Adding some spices to the vegetable and bean mixture would add a little bit of extra pop. The recipe instructs you to roll out the topping and lay it over the top to cook for the last hour. However, my topping was too sloppy for rolling, so I just plopped it on top and spread it out and was fine.
Rating: :)

Cornbread-Topped Southwestern Potpie


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sleepy tummy


Sleepy kitten tummy! This little guy is one of our previous adoption kittens, who has since found himself a wonderful home and is now a big handsome man!

1 comment:

  1. Someone gave my partner a slow cooker but we've never used it. We keep saying we will give it a go this winter. The pot pies look really interesting.

    ReplyDelete