Wednesday 17 September 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 #13: Robin Robertson Rocks - More Quick-Fix Vegan


My newest addition to my Robin Robertson collection is More Quick-Fix Vegan (though her newest cookbooks, Vegan Without Borders, is just out, so I will soon have an even newer addition!). I loved Quick-Fix Vegan so much, I couldn't wait to get this cookbook. There are a couple of changes from the layout of the last book, the snacks/appetizer section is gone but there is a new bowl chapter that is great. Let's see what's cooking...

Moroccan Couscous Bowls are a riot of colour and textures. Red onion, carrots, zucchini (instead of capsicum), chickpeas and peas with spiced couscous and topped with delicious crunchy toasted almonds. I served this over some baby spinach for the extra greens.
Rating: :)

Moroccan Couscous Bowls


Chimichurri Quinoa Bowls make use of one of my favourite sauces. I don't know what it is about the herby, vinegary chimichurri that has captured my heart so, but I just love it. White beans and quinoa mean there is plenty of protein. I found the sauce (which is just blended) a bit strong on the garlic if served on top like the recipe suggests, so I mixed it through. I got three servings out of this, rather than 4.
Rating: :)

Chimichurri Quinoa Bowls


Sweet Potato Barbecue Bowls have shredded sweet potato, pinto beans and kale in a great barbecue sauce that you whizz up in no time flat. Because Australian chili powder is a million times hotter than US chili powder, and because I don't like anything above a gentle heat, I used a couple of light shakes of medium-strength Mexican chilli powder. I know it is meant to be an all-inclusive bowl, but I served it over millet because I felt like it.
Rating: :)

Sweet Potato Barbecue Bowls


Quinoa, White Beans, and Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Cranberries attracted my attention because anything with roasted Brussels sprouts is okay by me. I served this with some baby spinach and a sprinkling of nooch.
Rating: :)

Quinoa, White Beans, and Brussels Sprouts with Peacan and Cranberries


Eggplant and Chickpeas Puttanesca is yum, and when served with some brown rice and baby spinach made for a great dinner. I love me some lady of the night tasty sauce.
Rating: :)

Eggplan and Chickpea Puttanesca


Tofu and Green Beans with Hoisin-Almond Sauce contains that magic ingredient, hoisin sauce. Actually, reading back through this post I seem to get excited about many sauces! The title is pretty explanatory, but I can assure you this is great.
Rating: :)

Tofu with Green Beans with Hoison-Almond Sauce


Lemon Pesto Zucchini and White Beans is quick and tasty. I used 3 medium zucchinis because I couldn't find small ones, so I halved them before I sliced them to make up for the size difference. I used a mix of half almonds and half pine nuts for the yummy pesto. This is great with nooch.
Rating: :)

Lemon Pesto Zucchini and White Beans


Sukiyaki Shiitakes and Tofu was not quite as tasty as I had originally hoped, but then I realised it was because I accidentally put the soy sauce in with the vegetables in the pan and then again with the tofu, so I am pretty sure the fault is mine. Don't you hate when you do that?
Rating: :)

Sukiyaki Shiitakes and Tofu


Bulgur Pilaf with Chickpeas and Cranberries was a little bland, even with the cranberries and walnuts, though nooch certainly helped to lift up the flavour. I used fine ground bulgur because that was all I had. I served this with steamed broccoli and green beans.
Rating: :|

Bulgur Pilaf with Chickpeas and Cranberries/


Pan-Seared Portobellos with White Beans and Spinach made three servings for my hungry tummy when served over brown rice. I love anything with mushrooms. There is the option to blend the white beans before adding for a creamier version, but I like it with everything whole.
Rating: :)

Pan-Seared Portobellos with White Beans and Spinach


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kitten tower


My friend Sarah fosters kitties for a local rescue, and she also has four of her own. It is always fun playing with them all when I am over at her place. here is a photo of a kitten tower that happened one evening. How many kitties can you count?

6 comments:

  1. Is that five kittens?! Both of the tofu dishes stand out to me but especially the tofu and green bean - I love hoisin sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tempted to get this book just for the bowl recipes. I don't make them enough at home and these sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "lady of the night tasty sauce" hehehehe.

    the portobello bowl sounds totally up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok something weird happened when I was commenting and then I crashed so you might get this plus 1 other, or 2 others or none others! GAHH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I have this book. That bbq bowl looks great.

    ReplyDelete