Sunday 11 December 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Color Me Vegan

Finishing up my current round-up of Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. You can see other posts about this book here.

Mushroom-Topped Baked Potatoes (Brown) and Onion Gravy (Brown): This seemed like a nice comfort food-style combination. I doubled the amount of mushrooms the recipe called for, which was a good call because they cook down so much, and I used baby spinach instead of capsicum. I decided instead of roasting whole potatoes (too much time I didn't have), I would instead serve these mushrooms over roasted potato chunks. This was a good call as crispy creamy chunks of seasoned potatoes helped the fact that mushrooms themselves ended up being a bit bland, definitely neeed some more punch. However, the onion gravy more than picked up the slack on that account. This recipe is deceptively simple... simmering onions in a mix of stock and white wine and butter. I was a bit skeptical because this doesn't end up looking so much like a gravy as it does some cooked down onions, but oh my gosh it is absolutely delicious!
Rating: Mushroom Potatoes :|, Onion Gravy :D

Mushroom-Topped Baked Potatoes; Onion Gravy


Eggplant with Sweet Miso (Dengaku) Sauce (Blue/Purple): I love dengaku! I can rarely find Japanese eggplants these days, so I did have to make do with regular globe eggplants that I sliced into rounds. The miso sauce is lovely. Excellent with some brown rice and baby spinach.
Rating: :)

Eggplant With Sweet Miso Sauce


Potatoes and Eggplant (Aloo Baingan) (Blue/Purple): This was a simple recipe that includes the titular eggplant and potato, but also some tomatoes and a bunch of spices. I left out the jalapenos. Simple, but absolutely delicious!
Rating: :D

Potatoes and Eggplant (Aloo Baingan)


Salt-and-Pepper Tofu (White/Tan): This is not quite the typical salt and pepper tofu you would see at restaurants. I cut my tofu into cubes rather than slices, so a bit more true to the original, and after pan frying it is tossd in a mix of salt, smoked paprika, and pepper. I went further off the path and used white pepper instead of black pepper. It is also cooked with some scallions and garlic. The book gives a number of sauce options to serve it with, I ended up making a ginger sauce with rice vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Served with rice and broccoli.
Rating: :)

Salt-and-Pepper Tofu


Brazilian Black Bean Stew (Feijoada) (Rainbow): I do enjoy Feijoada, though of course I make it my own by leaving out the capsicum (I used celery instead) and the jalapeno (no subs). This recipe also calls for some Mexican-spiced sausage, but chipotle sausages are too spicy for me so I just used some Vegie Delights BBQ sausages instead. This has some cubed mango added in at the end, which gave a lovely burst of flavour.
Rating: :)

Brazillian Black Bean Stew


Minstrone with Spinach (Rainbow): I made a half recipe of this for two big bowls of soup. I made a couple of changes, the main one being that I used baby spinach instead of the kale that was actually in the recipe title. And even though I halved the recipe, I still used a whole tin of beans. Rather than adding cooked pasta at the end, this recipe was brothy enough that I added some dry macaroni tubes and cooked them right in the pot, which made for less cleaning up!
Rating: :)

Minestrone with Kale


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Mirabelle


Mirabelle had five teeth extracted on Friday! She was such a brave girl, and has bounced back fast to her normal happy little self.



No comments:

Post a Comment