Friday 28 January 2022

Eating Out: Mt Gravatt Showground Events

Again, this was in that brief delightful lull when things in Queensland were safe enough to do things like go to the markets. No more, no more. At least, not for me! This post is a mish mash of a few different events I attended at the Mount Gravatt Showgrounds, which are very close to where I live.

Once a week the showgrounds are home to the Mount Gravatt Street Food Markets on a Saturday evening. Back in October, they had a special Japanese-themed Matsuri festival. Matsuri means festival in Japanese, so I guess they were calling it a festival festival! I was excited at the prospect of some vegan Japanese food, after confirming with the markets that there would be vegan food there. Unfortunately, the vegan offerings were extremely slim, not Japanese, and somewhat meh. I was at least able to find a lovely Tofu Satay Bowl (with tofu puffs, slaw, flatbread, and a delicious peanut sauce), and a grapefruit bubble tea.

Tofu Satay Bowl and Grapefruit Bubble Tea from Mt Gravatt Eat Street


One Friday afternoon a month, they host the Vegan Twighlight Markets there. I arrived a bit after opening, and a lot of places already had huge lines or had sold out of things. I still had some fun options though! I got a lovely Cheeseburger Gyros (with veggie pattie, sweet potato fries, cheese, salad, and sauce) from a place called Cocos. I also had a fun crepe from the crepe stall... I can never remember their name. But if you ever go to a Brisbane Vegan Markets, they are the only crepe stall. I got a classic, lemon and sugar. It was good, but I wish they used regular sugar instead of icing sugar, I love the crunch it gives.

Cheeseburger Gyros from Cocos at Twilight Vegan Markets


Lemon Sugar Crepe at Twilight Vegan Markets


A month later, I was back. But even though the vegan twilight markets were on, I was attending a Drag Bingo Fundraiser for Farm Animal Rescue. It was a lot of fun, though very loud and interactive! It also included dinner. My friend and I both got the roast with beans, potatoes, and gravy, and it was really lovely. They also had a buritto bowl option, and a pesto pasta option.

FAR Drag Bingo


I don't drink, but my friend does and got the special cocktail of the night. It had midori, malibu, and pineapple juice, as was topped with coconut cream. There might have been bacardi in there as well? I don't know. But it reminded me so much of the sorts of cocktails we used to get back in the early 2000s. My friend said it was really nice, like a pina colada but with a bit of melon from the midori.

FAR Drag Bingo


After the Drag Bingo finished, the markets still had a little while to go outside. We hit up I Should Coco for their Christmas Candy Sundae. It had snickerdoodle cookie dough, sprinkles, and a fruity candy cane. It was absurd and far too sweet, but it was fun. This was the last twilight market of the year in December, so there were lots of Christmas themed things going on.

Christmas Candy Sundae from I Should Coco at Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets


I long for a time when I can safely go to the twilight vegan markets there again... Maybe in about four or five years?

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Boo


Boo continues to love her catnip tomato!

6 comments:

  1. Although these are really challenging times--super hard--I hope it's rational to say that it probably won't take five years! Somehow or other we'll find a way to get through these things. Meanwhile, that sundae looks great! It's far too cold here for ice cream but if it was ice cream weather I'd be all over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stubbornly, I actually love eating ice cream even when it is really cold! Granted I am never actually as cold here as you are there. But I do remember many many years ago eating gelato in Venice on a freezing cold day and it being delightful.

      Delete
  2. That sundae looks so good!! And cocktail! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets you in with those cute sprinkles!

      Delete
  3. Wow that sundae looks decadent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not even the most decadent one they have!

      Delete