Thursday 20 May 2021

Midweek Munchies

There's ready made meals and then there's meal components that you can just put together quickly. Eventually, I had to start doing a little bit of cooking because I had these things that were going to go out of date. And I hate food waste. So I started getting back into the kitchen a little bit, with the easiest things I could.

Case in point, this packet of vegan Boston Baked Beans by Maggie Beer. I had bought these a while ago when they were on a super sale, because normally they are like $8 for one serve of beans. Their used by was approaching, so I heated them up on the stove, stired through some baby spinach, and microwave baked a potato. Also a put a blob on hummus on top. I wouldn't bother buying these again, especially for the regular price, but they were good in a pinch.

Maggie's Boston Style Smokey Beans


Maggie's Boston Style Smokey Beans


These four ingredients were the basis of two different meals. One cold, one hot. In both cases, I used the miso soup to serve on the side. I made a salad with some chopped lettuce, cucumber, and grated carrot (all prepped by my mother), the Japanese tofu, and topped with the dressing and the Seaweed and Soy topper. The hot meal was a pot of 40 second microwave brown rice, some microwave wilted baby spinach, microwave heated Japanese tofu (no shame in the microwave, ever) and this time I used the dressing as a sauce and sprinkled the seaweed and soy on top. Easy ways to make some slightly different meals out of the same main ready made ingredients.

Japanese-Flavoured Soup and Salad


Japanese-Flavoured Soup and Salad


Rice, spinach, Japanese Tofu, Japanese dressing, sprinkles


This packet of Alternative Bolognese Sauce was about to expire in the fridge, so I ordered some of these Nature's Kitchen fettuccine noodles. They are a fresh pasta, and only take a few minutes to cook, and the sauce was also easy to heat up. Topped with some FYH parmesan. I don't really remember much about the sauce, so I guess it was fine. I am pretty sure maybe I chopped up that carrot and celery to go in it, so go me for using some effort. But I loved the pasta. It is so nice, and I have bought it again.

Nature's Kitchen Spinach Fettuccine and Alternative Meat Co Bolognese


Finally, a hilarious concoction using these. I decided to make a bolognese potato bake kind of thing, layering bechamel and potato slices and the bolognese sauce. I topped the whole thing with some extra cheese sauce, that was meant to thicken as it was baking but it did not so the whole thing ended up kind of being soupy, but it tasted nice. I topped my serve with some of the Smoky Maple Parm. I was sparing with it, because they use a coconut base instead of nuts, and I was right to do so. Because it is not nice. At least the rest was good!

Potato Bake Lasagne


Potato Bake Lasagne


4 comments:

  1. I just had toast with humus and baked beans this morning! I would have never thought hummus and baked beans compliment each other, but they do!
    I've tried several potato lasagna recipes and most have been total fails, I don't know why it's so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummus and baked beans are a great combination.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes cooking is about doing the easy things, and good for you for finding a way to manage small things. The potato bake sounds great! It would have to be. It's POTATOES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Even these small meals were an effort, but I felt proud of myself for doing it.

      Delete