Saturday 22 May 2021

HerbiDoor

I'd never ordered from a meal delivery service before, mostly because I like to make stuff. But with all that went on after Dim Sim, it seemed like a good time to try some, especially with some discount codes. I have tried two, and I will talk about the first one today (the second one will need to wait until I finally finish the last one I have in the freezer).

HerbiDoor got me with their targeted advertising, which had a 25% off your first order code. The thing I liked about Herbidoor is you do not have to sign up to a recurring plan. You can buy things individually, or get a 10 pack of your choosing for slightly better value. I went with the latter. I got nine meals, and one dessert. My options with any sort of ready meals are limited because I have to filter out anything with chili or coconut cream, but Herbidoor still had a good selection. Most had 8 days until they expired if kept in the fridge, but you could also freeze them. I wasn't eating them all in a row, so I froze a lot of them. They all reheated well. There was not a lot in the way of vegetables though, so you will see I added greens (mostly baby spinach) to them. I'll do my best to remember how things were!

2020-12-21 17.53.09


Creamy Kale Fettuccine: Not as creamy as I would have liked, it had a bit of a vinegar tang to it. I like vinegar, but this was a little out of place.

Herbidoor Creamy Kale Fettuccine


Eggplant Katsu Curry: The ingredient didn't specify chilli, but there was chilli in this. I realised later they just said 'curry powder', and I had been scanning for chilli specifically, so the sauce was too spicy for me. However, I scraped it off and can say that the eggplant cutlets were delicious.

Herbidoor Katsu Curry


Ayuverdic Healing Kitchari: This wasn't anything flash, but it was nice and comforting. Which is what kitchari was supposed to be. It came with the roasted potatoes, I added the spinach and some peas.

Herbidoor Ayuverdic Healing Kitchari


Spinach and Herbi-Cotta Canneloni: This was nice, though was not very filling. More a lunch than a dinner. It had a nice mix of herby tofu-based ricotta, and was topped with some tomato sauce and cashew cream.

Herbidoor Spinach and Herbi-Cotta Canneloni


Sunday Roast Yorkies: For all the appearance of a mediocre reheated frozen roast dinner, this was really yummy! A seitan-based roast, roasted vegetables, peas, gravy, and those great little yorkshire puddings. It was very satisfying.

Herbidoor Sunday Roast Yorkies


Cashew Cream Lentil Lasagne: This was one of the gluten free range, and it was... not good. The pasta had that really heavy, grainy gluten free texture. And the rest of it was just very dry.

Herbidoor Cashew Cream Lentil Lasagne


Lentil Shepherd's Pie: This was nice. I enjoyed that it had a sweet potato mash on top. Nothing special, but nothing bad. The green beans were added by me because I was out of spinach.

Herbidoor Lentil Sherpherd Pie


Bangers and Mash: This meal has been rotated out for some new options (they seem to do this with a handful of meals every few months, keeping things fresh). I didn't add anything extra to this, it came with the peas. And more of their yummy gravy! I don't remember what the sausages were, I recall they were some brand, and they were OK. I guess being microwaved they were a bit smooshier than if you had pan-fried them, but this meal was all about comfort.

Herbidoor Bangers and Mash


BBQ Cottage Pie: I liked the creamy yet crunchy potato topping on this, and the insides were good too. You cannot really tell, but there is a bit of vegan cheese that was included in the topping, it has just melted in the microwave. The filling was lentils and vegetables and apparently silken tofu but maybe that was blended into the BBQ sauce because I couldn't tell. It was a little bit dry, so I did add some more BBQ sauce for eating.

Herbidoor BBQ Cottage Pie


Did I mention dessert? I sure did.

2020-12-21 17.53.22


I got a two pack of sticky date puddings, yum! You can eat them cold or warm, so I ate the first one straight out of the packet with some custard and it was good! The second one is still tightly wrapped in my freezer, waiting for a good cold winter night to heat it up and have it with some ice cream.

Herbidoor Sticky Date Pudding
Would I order from Herbidoor again? Yes!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found ways to take care of yourself! Easy food is important and necessary sometimes. The shepherd's pie sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would get some of these again I think, especially good for days where I have worked late given that I am not cooking as much as I used to so I don't always have leftovers.

      Delete
  2. As soon as I saw the picture of the lasagna, I knew it was gluten free! I'll never, ever forget the horrible texture, taste and everything about gluten free noodles. And baked gluten free pasta dishes are ALWAYS dry, the noodles suck up any moisture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I realised that it was gf when I ordered it, but I won't be making that mistake again.

      Delete