Sunday 12 July 2020

Recipe Round-Up: Baconish

Another newcomer to the blog, with Baconish by Leinana Two Moons making its first appearance. This book is all about vegan bacon. It has recipes for making bacon with all sorts of things (tofu, tempeh, seitan, carrot, mushrooms, chickpeas...), as well as ways to use them. If you like smoky, salty deliciousness you will enjoy this book!

Bacon and Cheddar Scones: I had a little bit of soy creamer to use up, so these seemed to call my name. They use some TVP-based baconish bits, and I used Daiya cheddar for the cheese. The recipe says it makes eight, I made a half batch and made them into three scones so we could each enjoy one fresh out of the oven. I did have to add a little bit of extra flour to the mix, as I found it a bit too sticky and soft to knead and shape.
Rating: Scones :), Baconish Bits :)

Bacon and Cheddar Scones


Cobb Salad with Eggplant Bacon: I love a salad full of lots of different things! The eggplant bacon was easy to make and very tasty, but it didn't really go crispy at all in the oven. Maybe I was playing caution, as I have tried other eggplant bacon recipes where they have burned. The salad also has cos lettuce, avocado, cherry tomatoes, white beans, corn, and I used cucumber in place of watercress. It uses a vegan blue cheese dressing recipe from another salad the book, which was easy to make. I made a half recipe of the dressing, but left out the tofu crumbles in it because the tofu I had in my fridge was being saved for something else. This was an excellent combination, and highly delicious.
Rating: Salad :D, Eggplant Bacon :)

Cobb Salad with Eggplant Bacon


The Famous Coconut BLT: I love me a BLT. This one uses coconut bacon, which was quick and easy and yummy. Though to be honest, I prefer a more substantial bacon in my BLTs. I used baby spinach instead of lettuce, and as well as the mayo I also used some avocado. Because avocado belongs on a BLT in my book.
Rating: Sandwich :), Coconut Bacon :)

The Famous Coconut BLT


Apple, Bacon, and Cheddar Grilled Cheese: This is a lovely combination. Crisp slices of green apple, your choice of tempeh bacon or Sweet and Savoury Bacon Jam, and cheese. I grilled this in my panini press, so I didn't butter the outside of the bread. I used the bacon jam option, which I will talk about further down in this post. I made this twice, once with Daiya American Style cheese slices, and once with some fancier Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse. Both were good! I also added some sauerkraut to the one with the Miyoko's cheese, because it just seemed like the thing to do.
Rating: :)

Apple, Bacon, and Cheddar Grilled Cheese


Apple, Bacon, and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Fancy Version with Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse and Sauerkraut


The More-To-Love Elvis Sandwich: Tempeh bacon, peanut butter, and banana. This was nice, but I just always find warm banana a bit odd unless it is in a pudding situation. I skipped the step of buttering the outsides of the bread again, because I used my non-stick panini press. And I drizzled a little bit of agave as suggested, but I put it in the sandwich rather than over it to minimise sticky fingers. Rating: :)

The More-To-Love Elives Sandwich


Bacon Fried Rice: This was in the Sides section, but I served it as a main. I couldn't get snow peas at the time, so I used some frozen baby peas instead, and it also has chopped carrot. The bacon is the tofu bacon from the book, which was really nice. I did have to bake the tofu bacon an extra 10-15 minutes though, and it didn't get crispy as they always say, but they firmed up a bit when they cooled. This is finished with some sesame oil, which I reduced from 2 TBS to a drizzle. Served over some baby spinach.
Rating: Fried Rice :), Tofu Bacon :)

Bacon Fried Rice


Hawaiian Pizza: I love Hawaiian Pizza! This version has pizza sauce (I used Leggos brand), mozzarella (I used Follow Your Heart), chopped tofu bacon that has been marinated but not cooked yet (it cooks on the pizza so it doesn't dry out too much), fresh pineapple (I thaw frozen pineapple and use that), and a thinly sliced shallot (which I used instead of a red onion so I didn't have leftover onion stinking out the fridge). I also used a pre-made crust to save on energy. The recipe suggests topping with coriander, but mine had gone off so I skipped it. This is an excellent pizza! So excellent that when I went back after eating two slices, I found out that my Dad had gone and scarfed all the leftovers so I cannot report on how it was cold the next day!
Rating: :D

Hawaiian Pizza


Sweet and Savoury Bacon Jam: I mentioned this in one of the sandwiches above. This is a pretty lovely recipe, with tempeh bacon, onion, and shallots all simmered with sweeteners, vinegar, mustard, garlic and ginger. I halved the recipe as that was how much tempeh bacon I had. As well as eating it on the sandwiches, I also enjoyed it as a fancy addition to a little snack plate I made that had green apple slices, cucumber, grape tomatoes, Miyoko's smoked farmhouse, and water crackers.
Rating: :)

Sweet and Savoury Bacon Jam


Sweet and Savoury Bacon Jam Snacky Lunch Plate


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


Dim Sim giving me a suspicious look while I coo over how cute her paw is.

10 comments:

  1. I thought I might be tiring of smoky, mock-bacony things but actually all of these recipes look awesome to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that there are so many different ways to use them.

      Delete
  2. A BLT--especially a vegan one!--needs avocado for sure.

    I've never tried it with bacon, but I love a grilled PBJ with banana, and it definitely needs the butter to bring everything together for me. When I make it, the banana doesn't really get hot, because it's in the middle of everything. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love peanut butter and banana on toaste, with some cinnamon and berries. And I have had PB&J and banana on toast, but I haven't grilled it before. Will have to try.

      Delete
  3. The Cobb salad looks so, so good! I so agree with you, salads with lots of things are the best!!
    I also want all of the sandwiches! We part ways on pineapple on pizza. That is a really hard never for me!
    Ha, Dim Sim does look very suspicious! No one here likes their footsies as I call them messed with either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how divisive pineapple on pizza is! It amuses me no end. Do you eat pineapple on burgers? Or are you a firm no pineapple on anything savoury?

      Delete
  4. I never really got the whole bacon craze. Probably because I am from Germany. Although people here would probanly love this. It's awesome that you are bringing back all these cookbooks, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something I crave, but I do enjoy smoky and salty. And I just love tempeh bacon so much. Going through my cookbooks is really fun, and has been inspiring me to cook a bit more from each of them as their turn at being blogged approaches!

      Delete
  5. Everything looks so good! I would especially love to try the scones and the apple & bacon grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try the grilled cheese, you could do it with any bacon!

      Delete