Tuesday 28 July 2020

Eating In: The V Word

One of the best finds during isolation was finding out through Instagram that The V Word was doing home deliveries of baked goods and freezer-friendly meals. I had initially found them at their stall at the Brisbane Vegan Expo last year, where I discovered the joys of their Chinois. So I was stoked to be able to get a bunch of stuff delivered. As well as tarts, brioche, and chinois they also had some sandwiches, quiches, and ready meals. You could order the meals for two people or four people, so the first time I ordered for four... but they are so big I ended up just ordering for two from them on because that was more than enough to feed three people! Sadly, they are no longer operating in Brisbane, as they have moved to Toowoomba. Woe! I hope that one day when things are safer, I might make the drive there to pick up some more of their amazing food if they start working at markets again.

Strawberry Custard Tarts are a favourite of mine... as in, one of my favourite foods ever, so I of course had to get some. The minimum order was four, and these were not freezer friendly, so I just had to eat them all over a couple of days. Such a tragedy! So good.

Strawberry Tarts from The V Word


The Quiche Lorraine was freezer friendly, with a minimum order of four, so I was able to enjoy these delicious savoury treats for lunches spread out over a couple of weeks. You could eat them cold, zap them in the microwave, or heat them in the oven depending on what you had time for/were feeling like.

Quiche Lorraine from The V Word


Their lasagne was amazing. You could choose from TVP or lentils, and of course I chose TVP. Amazing tomato TVP sauce, bechamel, and cheesy topping. I ended up ordering three of these.

The V Word Lasagne with Pesto salad


Ahhh... the chinois! Sometimes it was still warm from the oven when it arrived. A chinois is like a pull-apart with scrolls of brioche filled with custard and chocolate chips. It is very special.

Chinois from The V Word


Their moussaka was another excellent ready meal, they all just need heating in the oven. I only ordered this on the last order I made, so I am sad that I cannot have it again.

Moussaka from The V Word


The Croque Monsieur was another freezer-friendly lunch option. It was a minimum order of two, so I ate one the next day and froze the other for a future treat. Once thawed, you just pop it in the oven to heat up. It has smokey tofu and cheese inside, and is topped with bechamel and more cheese.

Croque Monsieur from The V Word


Finally, their loaded mac and cheese. It had smoky tofu bacon and sundried tomatoes in it. I'd probably prefer it without the sundried tomatoes, as I have a complex relationship with them. But it was good, thick, creamy, and cheesy mac and cheese.

Loaded Mac and Cheese from The V Word


Sigh, so hungry and so sad looking at all this food I may never eat again! But it was wonderful while I had it, and what a great service to have delicious vegan meals delivered to your door that you could stash in your freezer for the future. Plus the benefit of supporting a local business. I hope our paths cross again one day!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Halloumi


Speaking of adoption kitties, our newest little friend looking for a home is Halloumi. Can you even with that white fluffy face?

7 comments:

  1. You find the best food!
    The strawberry tarts look so pretty and delicious!
    I've always wanted to try to make moussaka, but it seems so difficult I'm afraid I'll spend all day in the kitchen, dirty all my dishes and then have a failure on my hands!
    I am officially in love with Halloumi, what a sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made moussaka a few times and generally had pretty good success, I can send you some recipes if you'd like! But certainly nothing beats a delicious one ready made.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I've never heard of chinois, but now I want some! That sounds and looks amazing. Also, I love those cute little tarts. And I wish I could take Halloumi!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only place I have seen doing vegan chinois, I had never heard of it before either! It is so good, I am sad that I will not get to have it again... maybe ever!

      Delete
  3. These meals all look so good; I'm glad you were able to enjoy a nice variety before The V Word moved!
    P.S. Daisy approves of Halloumi's ear floof!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a spread! I hope they find success in Toowoomba.

    ReplyDelete