Sunday 26 March 2023

Recipe Round-Up: Cook Share Eat Vegan

Hello!!!! I am here!!! And with a cookbook round-up no less. Finishing off sharing some of the things I have made from Cook Share Eat Vegan by Aine Carlin. But before that, how are you? I hope everyone is holding in there. Things are tough, be gentle with yourselves. I have had some pretty big things of late, which I will share once I have made a bit more sense of things in my brain. But I am still here, plugging away at my PhD between working and playing too much Stardew Valley. Anyway, let's get on to the food! You can see the rest of the things I have cooked from Cook Share Eat Vegan here.

Wasabi-Roasted Sprouts: While I can't eat chilli, I love wasabi! I took this into main dish territory by adding some Soyco Japanese marinated tofu in with my Brussels sprouts and baby corn. The veggies are marinated in a orange juice, soy, and wasabi concoction. But I would definitely add in more wasabi because once it was cooked I could hardly tell it was there! This says it serves four, but as a tiny side dish. I ate the whole thing over spinach and brown rice and topped it with a dollop of tahini and black sesame seeds.
Rating: :)

Wasabi-Roasted Sprouts


Fragrant Fried Rice: The rice in this case is cooked with lemon and a variety of spices to give it the some wonderful flavours. Before being added to stir-fried veggies, raisins, and toasted almonds. I left out the chilli. The recipe does not call for the rice to be chilled before using with the rest of the things, so if you want a more traditional fried-rice texture I'd make the rice the day before so you can add it to the pan cold. I served this with some hoisin tofu and some spinach.
Rating: :)

Fragrant Fried Rice


Stir-Fried Broccoli: This calls for sprouting broccoli (aka Broccolini, but apparently Broccolini is a trademarked name!), and is a very simple and quick dish. I added in some tofu to make it into a main course over rice and baby spinach. I left out the raw spring onion garlic, but I did double the sauce because I like my stir-fries saucy.
Rating: :)

Stir-Fried Broccoli


Garlicky Pan-Fried Mushrooms: I increased the recipe a bit, scaling up to use 600g of mushrooms rather than 400g, which gave me three servings that were quite filling! I was boring and just used plain white mushrooms, because that was what I could get easily and without paying $40 for fancy mushrooms for a single dish. Instead of the homemade cashew soured cream option, I used Made With Plants sour cream, and I added some smoked paprika because it called to me. I served this with some toasted olive sourdough with avocado, and some roasted asparagus.
Rating: :)

Garlicky Pan-Fried Mushrooms


TLT Sourdough Sandwich: The star of this sandwich is the tofu bacon, which is easy to make but could be a bit smokier. But then I just love smoky foods. Once that is made, it all comes together with mayo, mustard, tomato and greens (I used baby spinach instead of baby gem lettuce). I also added some avocado, because why wouldn't you?
Rating: :)

TLT Sourdough Sandwich


Mushroom Stroganoff Sauce: This sauce recipe is part of another recipe, as it is meant to be servec over celeriac steaks. But I just made it to serve over pasta. I used the Flora Plant Cream to make this recipe, which is wonderfully thick. I also used some paprika instead of cayenne. This recipe had quite a bit of lemon juice in it, which turned it into more like a lemon cream sauce. It was good! But if you are after a more traditional stroganoff then cut back on the lemon. I served it with peas and spiral pasta, over baby spinach.
Rating: :)

Mushroom Stroganoff Sauce


Pan-Fried Red Cabbage with Herby Tofu Mayo: Cabbage is someting I have really come to love, and this one is a very quick version that has great flavours. You also add some radishes at the end, though I did add mine a little bit earlier because I love cooked radish. The mayo is silken-tofu based, and easy to make. The herbs called for in the recipe are chives, but I used dill instead because dill is the best! I also did not use melted coconut oil in it, I used grapeseed oil, and I used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. I served these with some baked potato wedges, and pan-fried slices of Field Roast apple sage sausage.
Rating: :)

Pan-Fried Red Cabbage with Herby Tofu Mayo


Sweet Potato Pasta Bake: This recipe is actually call sweet potato stuffed shells, and I'd had it marked for ages but the thought of stuffing shells just made me feel so tired. Then I realised I could just make it as a pasta bake, so I did! Skipping the shell stuffing and instead just mixing the sauce with some cooked penne. I also added some chopped up sausage because I had one kicking around in the fridge that needed usin up. The sweet potato sauce has leek and plant-cream and lemon in it. I'm really glad I made the adjustment because the sauce is lovely. I served it with some sauteed kale, for a change in greens!
Rating: :)

Sweet Potato Pasta


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Eloise


Eloise the other night, fast asleep on the guest bed. Her eyes are open a little here because I came in to turn on the light and take a photo, but then she just went right back to sleep.



5 comments:

  1. There are so many of my favorite things here!

    Lately I've just subbed white mushrooms in all the mushroom recipes I've made; inflation will do that and plain white mushrooms are delicious anyway. I rarely notice a difference unless there is some reason the texture of another mushroom is required. Maybe I have an underdeveloped palate.

    Who knew broccolini was trademarked?! Weird!

    And finally, how clever of you to make pasta filling into a sauce! Great round up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can tell the difference with shiitakes, but unless I can make it to an Asian grocery store buying shiitake or other types of mushrooms are so expensive at the regular supermarkets, so white mushrooms it is! All mushrooms are good mushrooms.

      Delete
  2. I’m with you as I feel like most recipes I make provide less serving sizes than listed. I hope your pretty big things turn out to be pretty awesome things 🥰 - Sri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of awesome things in the things!

      Delete
  3. Really cool to see a different way to flavour sprouts!

    ReplyDelete