Monday 11 October 2021

Recipe Round-Up: But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan

The final part of the three part recipe round-up from But My Family Wound Never Eat Vegan, by Kristy Turner. I hope you all at least enjoyed seeing the pictures. These round-ups take a bit of effort, because I have so many recipes to share! And working my way through the books in alphabetical order is slow going. But today we finish the Bs! Next full recipe round-up, we move into the Cs. Very exciting. It will be back to some shorter posts after this one for a bit. As always, you can see previous posts about this book here.

Fruit Pie Oatmeal: A final oatmeal for you, this one has fruit added to the oats while you cook, then they are topped with the same fruit and nuts if you want. I used strawberries, which are my favourite fruit, and used some pepitas rather than nuts.
Rating: :)

Fruit Pie Oatmeal


Roasted Carrot & Wild Mushroom Ragout: These next four meals are all from the comfort food chapter. And it kicks of with this lovely combination. I made a half recipe for two serves. The carrots are lovely and sweet, and pair well with an earthy mixture of mushrooms (portobello, oyster, and rehydrated porcini). Served over some creamy cheesy polenta.
Rating: :)

Roasted Carrot & Wild Mushroom Ragout


Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie: I feel like a lot of vegan cookbooks love using sweet potato for their shepherd's pie. This one was tasty, but I didn't get the typical shepherd's pie flavour from it. The filling of beans, mushrooms, vegetables, sundried tomatoes and green olives is very herby and tangy. The mashed sweet potatoes on top are sprinkled with pepita parmesan. I made a half recipe, and got three serves out of it.
Rating: :)

Sweet otato Shepherd's Pie


Lasagna Soup: This recipe uses that herby macadamia ricotta I mentioned in the last post that I used for the zucchini manicotti. This isn't really lasagne soup, because I used bowtie pasta instead of broken lasagne noodles. Using what I had! It also has chickpeas, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, and basil in the tomato broth. It makes a lot! The ricotta is so good with it.
Rating: :)

Lasagna Soup


Cauliflower Parmigiana: Ding, ding, ding, this is a winner! I loved this seasoned crispy coated cauliflower steak, roasted until crunchy on the outside and wonderful on the inside. It is topped with Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara (remember I mentioned that in the first post? Guess what, this is STILL not the recipe where it is made!), cheese sauce (I used some CFS vegan cheese sauce), and basil. You can serve it over spaghetti, but I had just had a huge lunch so was looking for a lighter dinner, so I just served mine over some wilted baby spinach.
Rating: :D

Cauliflower Parmigiana

Perfect Roasted Potatoes: This is from the picky eater chapter, because I guess everyone loves potato! These are par-boiled, smashed, coated in vegan butter or oil, and seasoned before baking. They go crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside.
Rating: :)

Perfect Roasted Potatoes


Chickpea Croquettes with Dill Yoghurt Sauce: This is from the special meals for fancy get togethers chapter, not to be confused with the previous impressive meals for your in-laws chapter. I guess there is a distinction. The croquettes are made sweet potatoes and chickpeas. I took the baking option, and you can see they didn't quite go golden, but they tasted good. I left out the cayenne. I made some small croquettes and also one larger burger patty size so I could make a leftovers sandwich with it. The dill sauce was wonderful and tangy. In a shocking twist, fresh dill (my favourite herb) was no where to be found, so I had to take the dried dill option. I used a lot.
Rating: :)

Chickpea Croquettes with Dill Yoghurt Sauce


Cheesy Roasted Sweet Potatoes: From the holidays chapter, this is simple and delicious! Just toss sweet potatoes with nutritional yeast, paprika, and garlic and roast. So simple, so delicious. Add extra nooch.
Rating: :D

Cheesy Roasted Sweet Potatoes


Sun-Dried Tomato Linguine: At last, we have arrived at the origin recipe for the Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara you have been hearing about these last few posts. This is from the romantic chapter. Is this a date night mood setter? Beats me. Maybe ask someone who isn't acearo. But it tastes good! The marinara sauce has sun-dried tomatoes, fresh cherry tomatoes, tinned tomato sauce, and tomato paste, so it is all tomatoes all the time. It has a lot of flavour, and also makes a ton. So it is good to make all those other recipes with afterwards, you'll have some leftover! I used half the amount of pasta and made it up with a tin of kidney beans. This also has green olives, as you can see, as well as capers. Are capers romantic? Who's to say. Anyway, this is a good recipe.
Rating: :)

Sun-Dried Tomato Linguine


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Boo


Don't worry, Boo is fine. This is just a flashback photo to her in her cone. She wore it so well! Much fashion. I've scheduled the last couple of posts to be released, so I will update you on the Boo-Abby situation in my next post. Fingers crossed things around going a bit smoother. It is going to be a long, slow process.

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't get shepherd's pie vibes from something with mashed sweet potato, either! But it is true that some vegans are totally obsessed with sweet potatoes, to an annoying degree.

    I don't know if capers are romantic but I LOVE the briny deliciousness they bring to things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love capers too!
      I love sweet potato in it's own right, but I wish cafes would stop having sweet potato fries instead of regular potato fries, they are not as good!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Sometimes I like sweet potato fries but mostly if I'm going to have fries, give me the white potato kind!

      Delete
  2. This is a fun set of recipes! The chickpea croquettes look awesome, and I love a roasted root vege.

    ReplyDelete