Tuesday 20 April 2021

Litha 2020 and Lammas 2021

The summer festival sabbats. That I marked with food, as I tend to.

Litha (aka Summer Solstice) (21st December 2020):

Normally I make a little menu plan to make something special for each sabbat. Litha 2020 I did not. It was less than a month after Dim Sim passed, and I was still deep in the extremely non-functional part of my depression and grief. In fact, I realised I didn't make any recipes for over a month. It was all about eating the easiest thing I could, and when (if?) I was actually hungry. Food for Litha tends to include red and yellow foods, bread, and fruit and vegetables. At that point, one thing I would eat fairy regularly was my 'depression sandwich', which was just bread with mayo, sliced tomato, and turmeric seasoning salt on it. I was also eating some apricots, because I love them and it was the season. And I was drinking a lot of juice, like this carrot, apple, and ginger juice. Turns out that this depression lunch worked out perfectly into Litha themes! How about that.

Litha lunch


Lammas (2nd February 2021):

By Lammas I was starting to cook a bit more regularly again, if only to give me something to do. Lammas is the wheat harvest festival at the peak of summer, and foods typically include corn, grain, breads, seasonal fruits and veggies, and berries.

Quick Herb Bread from 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson: I had briefly planned to spend my day making an elaborate and delicious looking braided yeast bread recipe that I saw on IG. But reality set in and I just did not have the spoons to deal with that. Instead I made this Quick Herb Bread. The original recipe calls for dried basil, thyme, and marjoram but I took the suggested variation of using celery seed and dried dill.... with a lot of extra dried dill. This ended up being a very dense loaf, almost more like damper (as Australian thing). Overall a bit meh. But it did the job.
Rating: :|

Quick Herb Bread


Corn Salad with Basil Pesto Aioli from Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon: This seemed like a nice way to celebrate corn. I made a half recipe, but I still was a little low on corn so I added some white beans as well. A great addition! I also used celery instead of raw red onion. The basil pesto aioli was really lovely.
Rating: :)

Corn Salad with Basil Pesto Aioli


I also served it with some grape tomatoes and sliced cucumber.

Lammas Dinner


I went super easy for dessert, with a Nanna's Vegan Apple and Rhubarb Pie,some fresh blueberries, and some of the Pana Boysenberry Cheezecake ice cream I mentioned in my last post. I was planning on having fresh blackberries rather than blueberries, but just that week suddenly blackberries were no where to be found!

Lammas Dessert


(% 1000 Vegan Recipes blogged: 29.9%)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better!
    I definitely have depression meals too. Sometimes I feel like I live on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate that particular sandwich I don't know how many times over the last few months. Though then all of a sudden I decided I was done with it, and a new depression lunch emerged. It is not every day now, I am much more varied, but whenever I feel like it is all just too much, I go straight back to my trusty whatever it happens to be at the time.

      Delete
    2. I feel that way pretty often, myself. "Okay, I know this is food I can eat, I will eat that."

      The corn salad looks so beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Having an easy go to is so important when days are a struggle. Otherwise I might just sit there and eat nothing.

      Delete