Thursday 13 December 2018

Recipe Round-Up: The New Vegan (breakfast edition)

The New Vegan is the second cookbook by Aine Carlin. While it does have a second in the front targeted to give information to new vegans, it is not your typical basic vegan cookbook. It is full of beautiful recipes of all sorts, as well as some great skin care recipes. This post is full of some of the breakfasts found in there, which includes smoothies, juices, and oats. There are a lot of other sorts of breakfasts in there as well, these are just the ones I have made so far. You can also see some of the other things I've blogged from this book here.

Beetroot and Banana Smoothie: This is so pretty and pink, though tastes more like a sweet milkshake than a smoothie. Banana, cooked beetroot (the vacuum packed kind you get at the supermarket), dates, Maca, and oatmilk. Cashew milk is the recommended, but I always have oat on hand. It is not the most filling starts to the day, I think of this more like a fun snack.
Rating: :)

Beetroot and Banana Smoothie


Bugs Bunny Juice: The book has a couple of blender juice recipes. This is a take on one of my favourites - carrot, apple, and ginger. I only used one and a half cups of water, rather than two, and even though there was a lot of pulp and it was quite thick to drain it still was a bit dilute tasting. But I guess that is the side effect of blending with water!
Rating: :)

Bugs Bunny Juice


Virgin Bloody Mary Juice: I skipped the chili in this, but would have liked to up the tomato. Once again, a but watery tasting. It needed a much strong tomato component. Alternatively, maybe use tomato juice instead of water (leaving out the cherry tomato), and blend the rest into that? This only used 200mL of water, and didn't have much pulp.
Rating: :|

Virgin Bloody Mary Juice


Coconut, Mango, and Spinach Smoothie Bowl: I made some changes to this, leaving out the coconut oil (eww), using soy yoghurt instead of coconut yoghurt, and leaving out the spirulina or hemp powder. Instead I used LSA mix, and I added a touch of coconut essence to give the coconut flavour. This is green thanks to spinach, and creamy thanks to mango and avocado. I only used half the amount of dates called for, as I don't like things super sweet. This was really thick, thicker than a smoothie, so was a good base to put the toppings on.
Rating: :)

Coconut, Mango and Spinach Smoothie Bowl


Carrot Cake Oatmeal: Aine uses 25g of oats for a single serve, but that is not a Susan sized single serve. I tripled the amount of oats. This has a blend of grated carrot, spices, orange juice, oat milk, walnuts, and raisins. I found the orange flavour a bit overpowering, so would use a lot less next time. This made one big hearty serve.
Rating: :)

Carrot Cake Oatmeal


Nutty Chocolate Bowl: This overnight oats bowl looked quite rich, so I doubled rather than tripled the recipe. They only thing I kept the same was the maple syrup, so as not to make it too sweet. I used peanut butter to make a chocolate peanut butter bowl, which was lovely topped with a sliced pear and some chopped hazelnuts. It was very satisfying.
Rating: :)

Nutty Chocolate Bowl


Nutty Chocolate Banana Bowl: This is similar to the above recipe, but with mashed banana in the mix. I did use the full amount of maple syrup for this, and it was a bit sweet. Great topped with fresh strawberries and almonds.
Rating: :)

Nutty Chocolate Banana Bowl


Tropical Oats: I wasn't the biggest fan of this one. Oats are soaked overnight, then mixed with a pineapple, lime, and agave puree. For once in my life, I would have liked a bit more sweetener with it, and maybe a bit of coconut extract as well. The recipe calls for mango, coconut, and kiwi fruit for toppings, but I used blueberries instead of the kiwi. I doubled this recipe to get enough.
Rating: :|

Tropical Oats


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


This was Dim Sim's face after I took the unicorn hoodie off her (see the previous few posts for photos of that if you missed it). Not impressed!

5 comments:

  1. Juice is a little diluted when you use a blender, but I guess I've gotten used to it, it doesn't really bother me.
    OMG I seriously love this picture of Dim Sim. She looks so disgruntled!! I know that look all too well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe some of these juice recipes had too much water. I will try it with less!

      She was so annoyed!

      Delete
    2. It sounds like that is TOO much water for a tomato based blender drink. I feel like you could of used zero water and it would still blend up nicely.

      Delete
  2. The carrot cake oatmeal sounds super fun and delicious! Oh, Dim Sim, what a cute little grump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fun oatmeal combinations.

      It is hard being taken seriously when you are so cute!

      Delete