Tuesday 25 October 2016

Recipe Round-Up: Blissful Bites

Time for another round-up! This time from the wonderful Blissful Bites by Christy Morgan. Within the chapters, recipes are broken up by season (or anytime), so I have listed what season they belong to for each one. To see all my posts about this book, click here.

Hawaiian Tofu and Veggies with Coconut Polenta (Summer): The tofu and vegetables are meant to be made as skewers, but I couldn't be bothered with that so I just sauteed everything. I left out the capsicum from the veggies. The BBQ marinade is a mix of BBQ sauce and pineapple juice, as well as some other tasties. There was some leftover for drizzling over everything, including the polenta. I made a half-batch of the polenta, and got four side servings. I used a mix of light coconut milk and water to keep the coconut fat content low for me.
Rating: Tofu and Veggies :), Polenta :)

Hawaiian Tofu and Veggies; Coconut Polenta


Vegan 'Eggs' Benedict (Anytime): This was a fun brinner for me and my mum one night. The 'eggs' are scrambled tofu, served with tomato and kale on toast and covered in an oil-free hollandaise sauce. The scramble is meant to have some veggies in it, but I left them out for a more classic take. The sauce is based on silken tofu and lots of nooch. My mum is very picky about Hollondaise sauce, and she gave this one a thumbs up. I served this with extra kale and potato gems.
Rating: :)

Vegan 'Eggs' Benedict


Broccoli Salad with Creamy Mustard Dressing (Anytime): I've made this salad a number of times, and it is delicious! It is really easy to make, and also keeps well (so great for potlucks). Broccoli, carrots, radishes and chickpeas are coated in a mayo-based mustard dressing. So good!
Rating: :D

Broccoli Salad with Creamy Mustard Dressing


Blissful Mediterranean Salad (Spring): This Israeli couscous based salad is served just warm, and has zucchini, sun-dried and cherry tomatoes. olives and corn in a vinegar dressing. I was unexpectedly out of balsamic, so I made do with red wine vinegar. It was nice. Made 2 lunch-sized servings over green (the recipe says 4-6 servings, I assume they mean as a side).

Blissful Mediterranean Salad


Not-Your-Usual Pad Thai (Spring): This is a fusion of Thai curry and Pad-Thai sauce, which includes interesting ingredients like almonds, apricot jam, and dulse. It is served over rice noodles (I used a 200g package of pad thai noodles) and lots of veggies. I also served it with some store-bought flavoured tofu.
Rating: :)

Not-Your-Usual Pad Thai


Quinoa Tabouli (Spring): I had leftover quinoa, so this came together very quickly. Tomatoes, cucumber, dried apricot and herbs in a tangy dressing made for a refreshing lunch. It keeps great as well.
Rating: :)

Quinoa Tabouli


Simple Lemon-Scented Basmati Rice (Spring): This was more a faint wiff of lemon, I would definitely add more lemon next time. Peas and parsley add some green colour, and pumpkin seeds give some crunch.
Rating: :)

Simple Lemon-Scented Basmati Rice


Fiesta Quinoa Salad (Summer): This is a great salad to make ahead, to take for lunches or a potluck. As well as quinoa it has corn, black beans and tomato... I left out the yellow capsicum and added corn.
Rating: :)

Fiesta Quinoa Salad


Asian Millet and Quinoa Pilaf (Autumn): Unfortunately yhe asian flavours don't come through strongly, so consider doubling them if you make this recipe. The millet and quinoa mix becomes very creamy, and is studded with zucchini, edamame and corn. I served this with some roasted green beans.
Rating: :)

Asian Millet and Quinoa Pilaf


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Jodi keeping up with the news


Jodi knows it is important to keep up with the local news with the nurses at work!

9 comments:

  1. Gems!!!! It all looks yummy, though obviously it needs more capsicum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gems!!!! It all looks yummy, though obviously it needs more capsicum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to remember that broccoli dish for my next potluck! I have Christy's book, but it's been so long since I've used it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pull i tout periodically, it's such a good book. I highly recommend the broccoli salad.

      Delete
  4. I could nail a plate of eggs benedict right now, that looks so good. I'm also super intrigued by the Pad Thai recipe, it looks super good despite jam and dulse being very non Thai ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very non-traditional ingredients, but they work so well!

      Delete
  5. Ooooh hawaiian tofu and coconut polenta!
    And the eggs benedict sounds great too. I've always enjoyed having that at a restaurant but have never tried making it at home.
    Apricot jam and dulse sounds like a weirdly good combo.
    Sounds like a great cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like this cookbook.

      Delete