Monday 23 May 2016

Recipe Round-Up: Vegan Diner

Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson is a fabulous book, and everyone should get it immediately if you don't already have it! You can see my other posts about it here.

Chocolate Chip Skillet Pie with Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream: I'll be honest, I don't have an oven-proof skillet, so I used a 9-inch round cake tin for this recipe. When the pie first came out of the oven, it was all puffy on top but then collapsed in when I started to cut it. But this is OK, because what you get is wonderfully crunchy on the top and sides but warm and gooey on the bottom - perfect! The ice cream is also a great recipe. I loved the melted chocolate drizzled through the ice cream. It made a bit of work for the machine, but it got spread all the way through in wonderful crunchy chunks.
Rating: Pie :), Ice Cream :)

Chocolate Chip Skillet Pie with Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream


My Big Fat Greek Scramble and Breakfast Potatoes with Peas and Onions: So the potatoes were meant to have capsicum, but I subbed it out for some peas instead. These were nice, with the potatoes going all crispy and brown and the onions being lovely and sweet. I did need to add quite a bit of salt to it though. The scramble was full of onion, olives, garlic, herbs and spinach, and I used chopped tomato rather than capsicum.
Rating: Scramble :), Potatoes :)

My Big Fat Gree Scramble; Breakfast Potatoes with Peas and Onions


Very Sloppy Joes: I always think sloppy joes are fun, and this is a great recipe. Based on TVP and mushrooms, with an amazing blend of spices. I could just eat this mix all on its own.
Rating: :D

Very Sloppy Joes


Jambalaya: This makes up a big pot, which is great for company or for leftovers. It is full of onion, celery, sausages, tomatoes and peas (in place of capsicum). I searched online and found Creole seasoning recipe to make up a little batch of for this, because I've never seen Creole seasoning here. The recipe calls for two sausages to be sliced and added, but I could have done with more. It also got a bit burnt and crunchy on the bottom of the pot, which was pretty delicious.
Rating: :)

Jambalaya


Veggies and Dumplings: When the nights cool down, a big pot of this will be exactly what you need. A cheezy broth with veggies topped with delicious dumplings. The dumpling mixture is quite sticky, but it cooks up well. The recipe says to drop small spoonfuls of dough into the stew, I just kind of pulled bits of and plonked in smallish chunks. It is topped with my favourite herb, dill. So good!
Rating: :D

Veggies and Dumplings


Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies: While I am working through all the chocolate chip cookie recipes I have in all of my cookbooks, this is my favourite. They come together so quickly, and with simple ingredients, and they bake up perfect and delicious.
Rating: :D

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Banana Breakfast Bars: If you have some bananas going soft, Julie has you covered with this super yummy bar recipe. I just made a half batch in an 8x8 inch tin, but I kind of wish that I had made the full amount. They are very good! Truthfully a bit sweet for breakfast if you ask me, more an afternoon snack, but whenever you eat them you will enjoy them.
Rating: :D

Banana Breakfast Bars


Pineapple Coconut Cream Pie: I know, I know. What am I doing making a coconut cream pie given my coconut issues? But this isn't all coconut cream, it is a mix of silken tofu and coconut milk. I also made this about four years ago, according to the date on the photo, which was before my coconut fat issues really took off, but I don't think there would be enough here to really have an effect anyway. I do really love the combination of coconut and pineapple, and this was super excellent! It did set, though was still a bit oozy. We can't get graham crackers here, so I used digestive biscuits for the base.
Rating: :D

Pineapple Coconut Cream Pie


Chocolate Mint Truffle Pie: This is a super rich pie! The base is made out of Oreos, and the filling is a mix of tofu and a lot of melted chocolate. I am often suspicious of chocolate mint things, they generally taste like someone put toothpaste in chocolate, but I am happy to report that this was just right.
Rating: :)

Chocolate Mint Truffle Pie


Chocolate Cherry Cake: It's no secret, I love chocolate and cherry together. This cake is so good! The cake has cherry pie filling mixed though the batter. I couldn't find any tinned, so I made some from Vegan Pie In The Sky to use. I also had some cherry brandy essence that I used in the cake and the topping. The cake is topped with a delicious cherry chocolate ganache. It is so rich, but amazing. It seemed to make a lot of batter, so I used quite a tall sided baking pan (a metal one, even though the recipe says glass). It rose very high, but then sunk in the middle a bit when it cooled. That was OK though, I just filled that little hole up with extra ganache and a pile of cherries. Oh so good.
Rating: :D

Chocolate Cherry Cake


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara trying out biscuits and gravy


I used this photo to end my last Vegan Diner post, and I think I will probably use it again in future posts as well. Sahara snuck up to check out the time I made biscuits and gravy from the book. I thought she was going for the broccoli, which is her favourite of all, but she was quite curious about the gravy! She isn't allowed to have any people food anymore, due to her IBD. Poor girl.

17 comments:

  1. Everything looks so delicious! I think I need this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend it, it's pretty great!

      Delete
  2. How do you fit in All The Cooking! The veggie stew looks so good to my depleted-self right now. I need to make myself some chocolate cake too, I think. This post has firmed up my resolve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a backlog of photos from the past few years that I can dip into. The blog makes it look like I cook way more than I am actually able to. ;)
      I think that veggie stew and chocolate cake would be perfect to make you feel better!

      Delete
  3. Waffle cookies next time? Or Mac and cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to practice more with just regular waffles first. ;)

      Delete
  4. Waffle cookies next time? Or Mac and cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks amazing, especially the veggies & dumplings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, Julie put the dumplings recipe in her vegan casserole cookbook and it is just how my mom use to make them. My husband wasn't into it though which makes me a little sad. It is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not into dumplings? So strange.
      Though at least more for you?

      Delete
  7. I love this book so much, and you've made a lot of recipes that I still haven't tried. I love the chocolate strawberry pie, have you ever tried that? Some of my other favorites are the Homestyle Loaf, the Breakfast Sausages, Mocha Muffins, Smoky Soy Curls, and both of her Cheezes - the smoky mountain and the dill. I haven't made those cheeses for a long time, but just thinking about it makes me want to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wanting to try that chocolate strawberry pie for years, but I always seem to forget about it until after strawberry season has finished. This will be the year! I love the smoky soy curls, but I haven't made any of the others you mentioned. I am pretty keen to get my cheese on, though!

      Delete
  8. I love this book and have made quite a bit from it but somehow none of the things you have made here! I have definitely now got my eye on the dumpling dish and the pineapple, coconut pie! I really like the brownie recipe in this book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made the brownie recipe yet, I will have to try it. It is fun seeing what different people have made from the same book. Amey in the comment above just listed of a whole bunch of her favourites, and I have only made one of them! Need to cook more from it.

      Delete
  9. Wow - this looks like a good cookbook. Everything sounds really delicious. Especially the desserts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cookbook. Though quite gluteny, I'm afraid. Though for quite a few things you could sub into GF options.

      Delete