Tuesday 3 November 2015

Recipe Round-Up: Blissful Bites

After a little break, it is back to some regular programming, which means recipe round-up time is here again! Today I am focusing on some recipes I have made from Blissful Bites by Christy Morgan, which is a great book. Each chapter in the book is broken up into seasons, so I have also mentioned which season each recipe belongs to.

Citrus Herb Cashew Crudites (Winter): This is quite sensational. It is based on cashews and pumpkin seeds, but has a great lemony and cheesy flavour. After soaking time, it all comes together very quickly, and is great served with veggies or bread sticks.
Rating: :D

Citrus Herb Cashew Crudites


Save a Duck Pate (Winter): The base for this recipe is tempeh and roasted almonds, which gives it a great rich taste. It also has a healthy dose of my favourite herb dill. I served this with cucumber slices and also some fresh crusty bread.
Rating: :)

Save A Duck Pate


Quick and Easy Nachos (Anytime): Nachos are always awesome. There is a recipe for oil-free nacho sauce, which was yummy (but gets lumpy quickly when heating, so be sure to whisk a lot!). It is then combined with tortilla chips, chili (I used some leftover chili I had in the freezer), cherry tomatoes, sour cream and salsa.
Rating: :)

Quick and Easy Nachos


Easy Cheezy Broccoli Soup (Anytime): The creaminess comes from potatoes and soy yoghurt, with lots of broccoli and nooch. I found it a little bland on tasting, so I added a bit more nooch and stock powder to get to my desired tastes. My yoghurt also got super lumpy when I added it, so I had to whizz with a stick blender briefly to get it all smooth again.
Rating: :)

Easy Cheezy Broccoli Soup


Lemon-Miso Dressing (Spring): This dressing has a strong flavour and goes great with all kinds of salads, be they grain based, green based or otherwise.
Rating: :)

Lemon-Miso Dressing


Creamy Basil Dressing (Spring): As you can see, this is a very thick dressing (it is almost pesto-like and is based on cashews and pine nuts), so you may want to thin it out a little. I found it to be more tangy, rather than creamy, but it was all tasty.
Rating: :)

Creamy Basil Dressing


Raw Pasta with Almond Sauce (Summer): I picked up some raw kelp noodles to make this recipe, and discovered that I love raw kelp noodles! The sauce was very thick, even with added extra water, and I also found it quite salty, so I upped the vegetables (carrot and cucumber) and it all balanced out nicely. I got two lunch servings out of this (the recipe says serves 4-6).
Rating: :)

Raw Pasta with Almond Sauce


Cilantro-Lime Dressing (Summer): This is made rich by the addition of some soaked pepitas and refreshing by the addition of cucumber. It is a great dressing for summer.
Rating: :)

Cilantro-Lime Dressing


Creamy Dulse Dressing (Winter): This is an unusual but tasty dressing, with a base of pepitas and silken tofu. Capers and lemon juice make it nice and tangy, and the dulse brings a great seaweed flavour.
Rating: :)

Creamy Dulse Dressing


Green Spring Casserole (Spring): The green involved here are kale and green beans, with mushrooms added, but you can use any greens you have available. It has a light and creamy sauce, and comes togehter easily. It says it serves 5-7 as a side, but it would be tiny servings!
Rating: :)

Green Spring Casserole


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim paws


Dim Sim's tiny black princess paws, complete with her favourite toy - the blue ribbon I cut out of a singlet.

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks great, especially the nachos! I love the name of the save a duck pate! Adorable kitty feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You've been busy in the kitchen! YAY! Everything looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. I need to get my copy of Blissful Bites out again. It's been so long! Also, kelp noodles are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh these recipes look so good! I think I have this cookbook... I need to keep better track of what I have ;p
    The nachos look especially good! And I haven't had kelp noodles in ages - yum =)

    ReplyDelete