Sunday 7 November 2021

Eating Out: Grown (Birthday edition)

Hello friends, today is my birthday! I am turning 40, which apparently is a big deal but I am not so much a birthday person. I am not doing anything big for it, rather I am having a few small outings with only one or two people at each. And it started this morning, when my parents and I went to Grown for breakfast! You can see the other times I have been to Grown here. We all ordered the same thing! A mug of soy hot chocolate (their hot chocolate is the best!), and the tofu scramble (roasted mushrooms and silken tofu, with a slice of sourdough spread with sesame cheese) with a side of hashbrown (they make the best and crispiest ones) and seasonal sauteed greens. Everything was delicious, as it always is! But it was HUGE! We were all so full.

Hot Chocolate at Grown


Tofu Scramble, Seasonal Greens, Hashbrown at Grown


Afterwards I went home and made a cake! And while I was waiting for it to cool, we watched Bring It On. Bring It On is my favourite movie, and I will never get tired of watching it. It is iconic, and a classic. But about that cake...

Raspberry & Coconut Polenta Cake from Like A Vegan: I've had this on my too make list for ages, and this seemed like a great time. It is super fast to make! I mixed all the dry ingredients together the day before, so when we got home from breakfast I just pre-heated the over, mixed up the wet, and mixed it all together. So easy. It also fit my other birthday cake brief, because I am not a huge fan of icing. I love that this cake is delicious and gorgeous without needing ice cream! You could sift a bit of icing sugar over the top if you wanted to make it look a bit fancier (I did not do this because I am not an icing sugar fan), or serve it with a scoop of ice cream (definitely going to do this with leftovers). I highly recommend people try this cake out!

Raspberry & Coconut Polenta Cake


A couple of other birthday related photos...

My mum ordered me these beautiful bunch of flowers! She had ordered an arrangement with peonies, which are my favourite flowers, but the florist somehow managed to not actually include any. Good work florist! It is still a lovely bunch of flowers.

Birthday Flowers


I also got some lovely vegan treats. My mum has ordered from this brand before, and she managed to get all of my favourites!

Gifties


In other birthday-related news, two days ago I got my hair dyed pink again. This was my second time going pink, but this was a lot more pink over all of my hair! Here is a rare photo of me.

Pink Hair Don't Care


Stay tuned for more food-related fun times! I'm getting ready to go for dinner with some friends in a couple of hours.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Me and Dim Sim


This time last year, I knew Dim Sim was sick. What I didn't realise was how little time we had left together. Just 20 days. I am forever grateful that I decided to spend my birthday last year home with her rather than going out.

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Delicious looking cake, I will certainly try to make it. That hair really suits you. So sad about Dim Sim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday and welcome to the 40's! LOL! Sidenote...how do you like Flickr? It seems like they have made some changes...I haven't used it in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use it to store my photos online for my blog. I was a pro member, then they went free, then they went pro again and because I have so many photos stored there and linked to my blog, I had no option but to stay and pay the membership. The pro membership is a bit annoying because you get all these discounts for services I well never use. I wish they just had a basic pro, where it was not quite as much and you could just pay for photo storage, not the extra stuff.

      Delete
  3. Sorry - that last comment was from me (Jennifer) I forgot to change my profile before hitting send

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I love the pink hair!!! Looks so perfect on you. Happy bday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I'm so glad you got a delicious cake for your special day. That does sound really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is expected to get some big fancy cake with lots of icing, but this was just perfect for me.

      Delete
  6. Love the pink hair on you! Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pink hair on you! Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! I LOVE your hair! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete