Sunday 24 May 2020

Recipe Round-Up: 1000 Vegan Recipes

1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson is a massive tome full of recipes for everything you can think of. Eventually I hope to cook through the entire thing, though it has been resting on the shelf for a while as I have so many other cookbooks as well to explore. But I have a million photos ready to share from things I have already made! Today I will be sharing some sandwiches and wraps. You can see what else I have posted from this book here.

Tastes Like Tuna Salad Sandwiches: For someone who was never a big fan of tuna salad pre-vegan, I sure do love it now. Because chickpeas are awesome! This is a pretty standard version, with mayo, celery, capers, and mustard. It also has a little kelp powder as well. I got enough for 6 sandwiches out of one recipe, delicious with lettuce, tomato, and some cheese.
Rating: :)

Tastes Like Tuna Salad Sandwiches


Sloppy Bulgur Sandwiches: This variation on the sloppy used bulgur, as opposed to mushrooms or seitan or TVP or whatever. It was fine, but just not very filling, and the bulgur didn't bring the flavour that other versions have. It made enough for a lot of rolls, so I served mine as open sandwiches for extra spreading room. I left out the capsicum and just used more onions in the filling.
Rating: :|

Sloppy Bulgur Sandwiches


Curried Tofu 'Egg Salad' Pitas: Again, tofu revolutionises the egg salad. Tofu is way better than eggs! This spin includes mango chutney and curry powder, as well as the usual suspects you'd expect to find. Stuffed into pitas with some lettuce, it made a good lunch. If you have any coriander (cilantro) hanging around, this is nice to add as well!
Rating: :)

Curried Tofu "Egg Salad" Pitas


Marinated Mushroom Wraps: On thing you will realise during this post, I suck at taking photos of sandwiches and wraps. Anyway, this is a nice wrap for a light lunch, it isn't very filling so you'll want some sides. Portobello mushrooms are marinated in lemon, soy and sesame oil (I just used a splash), and that's it. No cooking required! Drain, slice, and wrap up with what you wish. As suggested, it is avocado, baby spinach, and tomato. I left out the capsicum!
Rating: :)

Marinated Mushroom Wraps


Peanutty Tofu Roll-Ups: Did someone say tofu and peanut? Sign me up! Tofu and peanu tbutter (and some other stuff, obviously) are blended to make a lovely flavoured spread. Wrapped up with lovely fresh carrot, lettuce, and cucumber. Yum!
Rating: :)

Peanutty Tofu Roll-Ups


Garden Salad Wraps: Oh boy, this photo. Oh well. This is full of fresh veggies like cos, tomatoes, carrot, and cucumber (I left out the raw onion) tossed in a vinaigrette, as well as green olives and some sauteed and seasoned tofu.
Rating: :)

Garden Salad Wraps


Avocado and Tempeh Bacon Wraps: These are basically a BLAT in wrap form. Tempeh bacon is my favourite bacon, and this cookbook has an excellent and very easy recipe for it in the breakfast section. Add mayo, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and roll. This is such a good version of an excellent combination.
Rating: :D

Avocado and Tempeh Bacon Wraps


Chickpea-Tomato Wraps: This is another take on a chickpea salad, with sun-dried tomatoes mixed in as well. It is quite a sloppy filling, so a wrap is an excellent choice for transporting it to your mouth. Which you will want to, as it is delicious!
Rating: :D

Chickpea-Tomato Wraps


Tofu-Tahini Veggie Wraps: You can't really tell from this photo, but these have been spread with a lovely blend of tofu, tahini, celery, herbs, and other things. Lettuce and carrot added, and roll up! I used Lavash bread for these, which is why I think they are so flat because they are often more fragile and don't roll nicely. At least the ones I got here.
Rating: :)

Tofu-Tahini Veggie Wraps


(% 1000 Vegan Recipes blogged: 29.4%)

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim SIm


I've mentioned in a number of posts before that Dim Sim has a pinky on the sofa. The pinky started life as an off-brand Snuggie I bought to keep me warm, but was quickly claimed by her. Do not touch the pinky, even if she is no where to be seen, and you are cold. It has been chilly here of late, so I got another blanket to put over me (another one my grandma crocheted years ago). Well, Dim Sim was pretty quick to claim that too! She was delighted. It's fine, I'll be cold.

8 comments:

  1. I love Robin Robertson so much! I don't always feel like she gets enough credit for her work!
    I love sandwiches and wraps, it's been hard not having as many since going gluten free.
    I agree too, taking pictures of sandwiches is so hard! When I see amazing pictures on Instagram I just don't get how they do it!
    My girls claim all the blankets too! Dim Sim looks very pretty on the blanket though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she is under rated considering how much she has contributed to vegan food! She has a new book coming out later this year that I am excited to pre-order.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't get lavash to roll well for me, either. And I think wraps and sandwiches are just universally hard to photograph!

    I, too, am in love with chickpea salad and tofu eggless salad, and I think I'd probably be in love with a tofu-peanut butter spread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send it to you!

      I see people with their amazing wrap shots or perfect burgers and am just like... how... where is that online class for photographing these? But also that only takes twenty seconds because I want to eat, not spend hours food styling... maybe that is the problem. ;)

      Delete
  3. The peanutty tofu roll-ups sound great, and the avocado and tempeh bacon wraps, too!
    Kitties sure love claiming every blanket they can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now hers. And I know that if I get another blanket for myself, it will become hers as well.

      Delete
  4. Wraps are hard to photograph! There's so much beige. I think the hardest things to photograph are quesadillas. Because then you've got beige and flat. Not a good combo!

    That's so cute that Dim Sim took BOTH blankets. Classic cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see which recipes you've liked from this book. I inherited a copy from a friend and still haven't dug into it. It's so big and intimidating to even open!

    ReplyDelete