Thursday 28 May 2020

Midweek Munchies

Let's get munching! We are moving into the period of this year now where things started getting scary, so my munchies definitely take on a certain comforting aspect.

I was so excited when I saw Crum at the Brisbane Vegan Expo last year, I had to snap up a tin. Then I kept it in my cupboard for ages, designated as 'precious'. But when COVID started taking over the world, it became time to crack it open. What is Crum? Crum is a vegan version of Milo. What is Milo? Milo is a chocolate and malt powdered drink that is very famous in Australia. Warm Milo before bed, Milo in cold milk, Milo piled onto vanilla ice cream, Milo off a spoon. Milo was not vegan, so it was a long time since I'd had it, and nothing else really came close. And then there was Crum, and it is amazing! I've enjoyed it in cold milk, and as you can see as a hot drink and over ice cream (So Delicious Cashew Vanilla), and of course off a spoon. I should mention that earlier this year, a vegan version of actual Milo did come out. But as Milo is now owned by Nestle, I will never buy it. Also I have heard that it is bitter and you need to add sugar. Meanwhile, Crum is ethically made (they are approved on the Food Empowerment Project Chocolate List) and is a local small Australian business. It does have a high price point because of this, so I acknowledge my financial priviledge in being able to buy it. It is a very special product.

Muc of hot crum


Crum and So Delicious Cashew Vanilla Ice Cream


If you are feeling stressed because you parents are in Japan and COVID is becoming a bigger concern (this was March, they got home soon after, and they were fine), might I suggest snacking on some some Alter Eco Super Blackout chocolate dipped into some Speculoos spread. It is excellent snackage. I love this Alter Eco Chocolate - it is 90% cocoa, so is definitely dark, angry, and bitter, but it also somehow smoother than other dark chocolates. I have several blocks of this on hand at all times. It is also approved on the FEP Chocolate List!

Excellent Snackage


My friend Leigh got my onto this amazing toasted sandwich combination: Vegemite, tomato, and Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse cheese. This is so savoury and so comforting, and just gooey enough but not sloppy. I have eaten so many of these as they are just the thing for a satisfying lunch.

Vegemite, Tomato, and Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse Toasted Sandwich


What else makes me happy? Silly drinks! This juice sounded intriguing! Though, like so many juices, it didn't live up to the promise. It is mostly pear juice, so that is mostly what I tasted. But it does have some grapefruit juice, strawberry and raspberry puree, and the davidson plum puree, so there was a hint of something there.

Silly Drink


I bought this chickpea pasta and used it in a recipe from a cookbook I will talk about later, but it was basically a pesto pasta. This brand of fresh vegan pasta is available in Woolworths, though is generally pretty pricey, but I got this on a bit of a sale. It was not bad, quite dense because of the chickpea, but nice texture and a fun shape.

Fresh Vegan Chickpea Pasta


In my continuing yoghurt adventures, I tried this Alpro Vanilla Almond yoghurt from Coles. It has a good texture but was a bit too sweet for me. Especially as I normally eat yoghurt with granola in the mornings, and I don't love super sweet stuff first up in my day.

Vanilla Alpro Yoghurt


Finally, a lot of silly drinks. I was stress buying. This was back when I was still going out to grocery stores, the last several weeks it has all been delivery with only one or two trips out. I got the Nudie Glow juice on super sale. I'd had it before, and it is fine. Mostly apple juice, but there is a bit of pomegranate juice and blueberry puree in there. Also a teeny amount of aloe vera and rosehip, I have no idea what that is adding to the taste. Next, the Mango Turmeric Almond Milk. You know I had to get it - turmeric! This was had a lovely flavour, kind of like a thin version of a mango lassi, but it did have that tiny bit of watery sawdust aftertaste from the almond milk. The strawberry soy milk popper was a given, I've had it many times before and I love it. Strawberry milk forever! Finally, the Jamu Jamu Asian Pear and Ginger Joy Tonic, which I also got on super sale. It was very bitter, and extremely fizzy... it bubbled everywhere when I opened it! It didn't bring long lasting joy, but I did get a bit of joy from drinking something so silly.

Silly Drinks


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


It is getting cooler here, and Saturday was a chilly and overcast day. Dim Sim wanted to pass the morning by snuggling on me. So we sat on the sofa, and she slept on me (my bosom is an excellent pillow), and I pilled that crocheted blanket she now loves over us, and I sat there while she slept. So sweet.

6 comments:

  1. Dim Sum looks so cozy!

    I miss malt flavors, even though I rarely had them anyway. I think it's knowing I can't. I haven't really thought of there being a vegan version of it, but now I'm intrigued. What's in it? Maybe I can find a stateside something to try while I'm ordering all my food from whoever will send it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crum's ingredients are coconut sugar, cocoa powder, maple syrup, carob powder, mesquite, salt, and vanilla.

      Milo seems to be a very uniquely Australian thing. But perhaps when things are sensible again I can send you a sachet of crum to try. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, dark chocolate and Speculoos sounds like an amazing combo I've never thought of! Thanks for that. Also, Miyoko cheddar and Vegemite! You're a genius! :-) I've got to try that too. The Crum drink sounds great. I can't recall a malt drink growing up, but I definitely loved mixing hot chocolate powder into cold milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Leigh is the genius, it is such a good combination. You are also a genius, for loving Vegemite so much!

      Delete
  3. Crum sounds great, and that holiday kitty mug is too cute!
    Dim Sim is such an adorable little cuddler, what an absolute sweetheart! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our cuddle time together.

      I used to just use that mug at Christmas, but then my other mug broke so now I just use it year round.

      Delete