Wednesday 8 July 2020

Midweek Munchies

Hello friends! Well, I have had a week. I woke up on Saturday with a yucky cold, and had to call in sick to work and then had to make sure I ad a negative COVID test before I could go back. I got one on Sunday, and got results back yesterday that all negative. Which we'd expect given the state of COVID in my state (only two active cases, both aquired overseas in in quarantine), but safety and caution always first! I'm still a bit snuffly, but will be back to work tomorrow now that I've had the all clear!

Who feels like some munchies?

I loved those Strawberries and Cream lollies before I was vegan, so picked up some Strawberries and Cream jubes from The Red Balloon (along with some chocolate covered jelly) on one of my last trips to The Green Edge. Sadly, the jubes did not hit that childhood craving, they were mostly just strawberry flavoured. But they were still nice. The chocolate over the jelly was way to thick, but they were also very nice. Especially when there was strawberry jelly inside!

The Red Balloon Strawberries and Cream and Jelly Chunks


Some silly drinks. I couldn't say no to these Jamu Jamu tonics, I'd already tried another flavour previously. Some of these are so fizzy that they explode everywhere as soon as you open them, even if you haven't jiggled them, so open slowly over a sink! They were fine, quite bitter with the exception of the red one. I'll stick to my regular kombucha in the long term though.

More Silly Drinks


When I went into isolation, I got myself a good biscuit stash. Behold my biscuit stash! My favourites here are definitely the gingernuts (they are a basic biscuit, but I love them), and the raspberry shortcakes. Though the lemon crisps are quite lovely because the wafers are salted and the lemon is tangy and sweet. I mean, all these biscuits are good. And for my GF friends (I see you Hillary!) those two in the top right corner are gluten free! The Double Choc Biscuits are a vegan and GF version of Tim Tams, a very famous Australian biscuit.

Biscuit Stash


My mum ordered some special flavour Pringles in one of our Coles orders, but they got the flavour wrong and sent these ones instead, that happen to be vegan. I was skeptical because they do have chili in the ingredients, but turns out you cannot taste it. And these are damn delicious!

Satay Chicken Pringles


Another baked potato. This time with some Vegg, I still have some kicking around in my cupboard so I figured I should make an effort to use it. I always add nutritional yeast and black salt to it, because it has very little flavour on its own, and I added some spinach. Topped with some avocado and bacon bits. Meh, Vegg just doesn't do much for me. But I still have a bunch so I am trying to use it up.

Scrambled Vegg on a baked potato


Another Made With Plants ready meal I got on sale. They love their damn coconut cream, so there was a fair bit of that in the stroganoff itself. But I really enjoyed the rice pilaf that came with it, that was really nice. Far too small to be a full meal though!

Made With Plans Stroganoff


Woolworths has some vegan products it sells under the name Plantitude, and this is some of the bolognese sauce that I got on super sale and stuck in my freezer for a while. It has actual TVP in it, which I really like!

Woolworth's Plantitude Vegan Bolognese Sauce


I used it over a baked potato in a very lazy attempt at a lasagne themed baked potato. Bolognese, bechamel, cheese. But the bolognese and bechamel ended up all mixed up together. But it was still damn tasty! I added some spinach to the sauce as well, because greens.

Lasagne-ish Baked Potato with Plantitude Bolognese Sauce, bechamel, spinach, hemp parmesan


Finally, a slightly blurry photo of some vegan cheese biscuits my mum made. The recipe was very simple, some self raising flour, margarine (we used Nuttelex) and grated cheese (we used Daiya with the mixed cheddar and mozzarella in it).

Vegan Cheese Biscuits by mum


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


In case you were worried, Dim Sim still loves sleeping on her new favourite blankie on top of her favourite pinkie on top of a cushion on the sofa.

6 comments:

  1. OMG, I have some vegan Bolognese sauce that I've been wanting to try, but I dread gluten free pasta! The lasagna themed baked potato is such a brilliant idea!!! I will definitely be doing that!
    Are the gluten free biscuits a nice texture? I found some gluten free cookie things awhile ago, and they were so dry and dusty!!
    Dim Sim looks so comfy and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find a lot of GF biscuits here are pretty dusty as well. The shortbread in the chocolate dipped scotch fingers is pretty dry, but the chocolate kind of balances it out. I've had the scotch fingers without the chocolate before, and they were dusty. The gf vegan tim tams are find though, as they are just thin layers of biscuit with chocolate cream sandwiched between them and then all covered in chocolate!

      Delete
  2. I liked those Pringles too! It's hilarious how many of the novelty meat-flavoured chips are actually vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet so many companies can't make a salt and vinegar flavour without milk in it!

      Delete
  3. Baked potato lasagna! You're a genius!

    I am so envious of your biscuit stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will now use baked potatoes for anything and everything! ;)

      I will say, I think Australia has a very awsome selection of vegan friendly biscuits. I am glad to have them!

      Delete