Thursday 2 July 2020

Midweek Munchies

Munch munch munch....

These are some rice paper rolls I made for lunch one day when I was in isolation, using up some random stuff. I used some coconut rice (leftover from a takeaway the night before), leftover hoisin miso tofu, cucumber, and carrot. I rolled them terribly, but they were really yummy. Served with a quick peanut sauce I made with some peanut butter, hoisin sauce, Vegenaise, and a touch of hot water to thin it a little.

Leftovers Rice Paper Rolls (coconut rice, hoisin mizo tofu, veggies) with peanut sauce


The joys of a silly juice! Though the main ingredients in this were pear juice, followed by some pineapple juice and guava puree. It was a bit tangy, I assume from the lime, and maybe the slightest hint of mint, but the flavours were mostly pear.

Silly Juice


I bought these vegan mushroom Tortellini on sale. They were OK. Pretty dense and the mushroom filling didn't have a very strong mushroom flavour. I served them with some bechamel sauce, that you will see turning up in another blog post eventually.

Tortellini


On first glance, and first taste, these crackers seem like a great snack all on their own. But after the first one, it becomes apparent that they need some sort of dip to go along with them as they are quite thick and a little bit dry.

White Sesame Crackers


A jackpot of my favourite chocolates! And both these brands are on the Food Empowerment Project's approved chocolate list, so no child slavery. Win win!

Chocolate Goodness


I had a box of Well & Good Mushroom Mac & Cheese in the cupbord from a CFS Mystery Box. I'd tried them previously and wasn't a big fan, so one day I decided to use this up by doctoring the heck out of it. I added some leftover pesto, peas, grated carrot, sauteed sausage, and baby spinach to make a passable lunch.

Well & Good Mushroom Mac and Cheese with pesto, spinach, sausage, peas, carrots


I will now put anything on a baked potatoes, including these leftovers from a Chinese delivery. I topped it with some fried shallots for crunch. Very good.

Leftover Chinese Tofu and Veggies on baked potato with fried shallots


Finally, some vegan store bought guacamole. Getting avocados in our grocery delivery has proven to be a futile effort. They always come over ripe and have been severely bruised in transit. So sometimes if I am making something that I would normally make guacamole for, I will get this in the order instead. It is really nice! It does have a smidge of chilli in it, but nothing I can taste. I enjoy having a decent vegan-friendly guac to buy, as a lot of the others in the shops have dairy in them.

Obela Guacamole


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Marigold


Marigold is full of goofy faces.

8 comments:

  1. Your rice paper rolls look so much better than anything I can ever make!! I've given up!
    I definitely cannot eat any rice crackers without a dip.
    OOHH, I want to try that Vego bar so badly!! Best vegan chocolate ever!
    Ha, Marigold is clearly full of personality!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark chocolate berries and nuts bar is the only Vego I like, it is so good. I buy so many of them.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love Vego!! I got some in a UK snack box once. Those rice paper rolls look yummy, and so does that baked potato. Weird. But yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things that come out of wanting a potato but having some leftoevers to use up and also just being tired so throwing random stuff together!

      Delete
  3. A lot of pre-made guac in the shops have dairy in them? What a disappointment! It's always a bummer when things that should be 100% vegan aren't. I'm glad you found an easy alternative! And I agree, it's nice to have a pre-made option around for times when the avocados have turned against you. I've started keeping pre-made guac around too since the pandemic has made grocery shopping less frequent or enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoyingly, so many avocado dips and guacs here have dairy in them. Guac should not have dairy! That is just not what guac is. Same at some restaurants, they put sour cream into it and I am horrified at these crimes against guac.

      Delete
  4. Your rice paper rolls look great! I'm planning to get guacamole in my next grocery order, too; I've been having the same problem with over-ripe avocados!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I'd go grocery shopping once or twice a week and carefully pick out all my fresh produce, especially the avocados. But now getting a delivery once a week, the avocados just never work out.

      Delete