Thursday 9 January 2020

Mum's Birthday 2019

My mum is a December baby, earlier in the month so that it doesn't get swallowed up by Christmas. I always make my parents a special dinner for birthdays, and this year was no exception.

Deconstructed Banh Mi Salad from Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson: I have posted about this a couple of times before, because my mum is in love with this salad and no amount of suggesting something new for me to try cooking had any effect. This salad was her birthday wish. I made it as I have before, using cos instead of cabbage, and using some Soyco Japanese Marinated Tofu instead of seitan. I imagine you'll probably be seeing this salad same time next year as well.
Rating: :D

Dceonstructed Bahn Mi Salad


All-Out Chocolate Honeycomb Loaf from Cook Share and Eat Vegan by Aine Carlin: One thing I stand firm on is that birthday dinners must have a cake! Other desserts are for other times, cakes are for birthdays. This is a chocolate cake, topped with chocolate icing and homemade honeycomb. The cake itself has a banana in it, which you could definitely taste. It was meant to be baked i a 450g loaf tin, and when I looked up measurements I realised I didn't have one small enough, so I baked it in am 8x4 inch pan for 30 minutes, which is why it is a bit flat. The icing is really simple, and remarkably not overly sweet. The biggest part of this was the honeycomb - my first attempt at making it. I made a half batch, which was lots for topping the cake with some left over. It didn't really go to plan. I was leaving it to bubble untouched as the recipe instructed, but then it seemed to start burning? Whatever I did, I obviously didn't do it long enough as it ended up being pale and chewy, I couldn't break it into chards well. But it was still tasty. And I made honeycomb!
Rating: :)

All-Out Chocolate Honeycomb Loaf


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim helping me make the bed


Dim Sim 'helping' me make the bed.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you treated your mom to her favorite salad and homemade cake. Very thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking special things for people. :)

      Delete
  2. That salad sounds fantastic!! Banh Mi is one of, if not my favorite sandwich!
    You made honeycomb, that is pretty amazing!!
    Happy birthday to your mom!
    Hi Dim Sim!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it didn't work out perfectly, I still felt like a bit of a kitchen badass for making that honeycomb!

      Delete
  3. The deconstructed Banh Mi salad sounds really fun and the cake looks delicious!
    Dim Sim, you are such a good little helper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to stick with what I know I love sometimes, too. And definitely cake is for birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I love the salad almost as much as she does, so I can't complain too much about having to make it multiple times. ;)

      Delete
  5. I would love both of these dishes! In my limited experience, honeycomb doesn't do well in humid conditions. I've found it tough enough to make in Melbourne, and I imagine it's even more of a challenge in Brisbane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point! Even though we have air con on, it doesn't always keep the humidity at bay.

      Delete