Tuesday 23 October 2018

Recipe Round-Up: The Abundance Diet

I love The Abundance Diet by Somer McCowan. I love the focus on fresh vegetables, and Somer's recipe for gooey melty cheese is so quick and easy and tasty, you will love making it. You can see what else I have blogged from this book here.

Annie's Da Cherry Bomb Smoothie: The book has a lot of green smoothies in it, so I will just highlight a few in each post. This one is a bit more brown than green, thanks to a whole lot of delicious cherries. This also has a hefty dose of cinnamon in it, which I love. Somer suggests using stevia to sweeten in all the smoothies. I rarely use any sweetener, as I find the fruit sweet enough. Also I would never use stevia, as I don't like it. This was lovely without anything added.
Rating: :)

Annie's Da Cherry Bomb Smoothie


Ginger Zinger Smoothie: One of my favourite juices is carrot, ginger, and apple... and this is a green smoothie version of that. It calls for carrot juice, which is super hard to find here, so I did use some bottled carrot/ginger/apple juice instead. But it is also made creamy but adding silken tofu, oat milk, banana, and peaches. Plus a ton of ginger! I left out the flaxseed and the sweetener. This was very filling.
Rating: :)

Ginger Zinger Smoothie


Island Bliss Green Smoothie: This is well named, and is very tropical! Based on coconut water, it is a refreshing drink. I used all spinach for the greens instead of spinach and kale, because I just rarely like kale in smoothies. My mixed frozen tropical fruit blend had mango, honeydew, pineapple, and strawberry in it. Definitely no need to any sweetener with that blend! I used some LSA blend rather than ground flax.
Rating: :)

Island Bliss Green Smoothie


Apple and Chai Spice Muesli: I love chai, though tend to avoid the caffeinated black tea ones. I couldn't find chai spice, so I took the option of simmering some rooibos chai loose leaf in oat milk and then straining. I absolutely hate grating apple, so I just finely chopped it. I quartered this recipe to get one serving, and I used some dark agave to sweeten rather than making date paste. As well as oats and apples, it also has raw almonds in it for a protein boost. I soaked mine overnight for a quick breakfast the next day. I didn't find it too filling at first, but I felt full a bit later.
Rating: :)

Apple Chai Spiced Muesli


Quinoa Berry Banana Bowls: I wasn't the biggest fan of the quinoa in this, it was all just a bit bland. It uses pre-cooked quinoa, that is topped with milk, berries, bananas, and hemp seeds (which I forgot). I think it would be better if you had cooked the quinoa with some spices and sweetener to make it come together a bit more.
Rating: :|

Quinoa Berry Banana Bowls


Cream of Mushroom Soup: This is an old favourite, and a great lunch. I made a half recipe, which gave me one good serve. It is made creamy with cashews, and nutritional yeast gives it a slight cheesy hint. Vegan sherry is very hard to find here, so I used some Chinese cooking wine instead.
Rating: :)

Cream of Mushroom Soup


Tomato Basil Bisque: Another old favourite, but made a little fancy. It makes mug size servings, rather than big bowls, if you are following the four servings guide. It is not that filling, so definitely be sure to make a grilled cheese to go with it.
Rating: :)

Tomato Basil Bisque


Moroccan Lentil Stew: I love lentil stew, but this one needs a few tweaks for my preferences. I found it overwhelmingly lemony, and not many of the other flavours came through. It makes a huge amount, so definitely go easy on the lemon!
Rating: :|

Moroccan Lentil Soup


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Silly adoption kitties


Here's a closer look at one of the kittens from the last post, being a very silly girl but really enjoying a good stretch out!

8 comments:

  1. I need a good cream of mushroom soup recipe! I tried to make one years ago and totally failed! And the tomato bisque looks delicious!
    I agree, stevia is the worst!
    I love the stretchy kitten! What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was stretched out like that for almost an hour! I guess she liked it.

      Delete
  2. The ginger zinger smoothie sounds like a nice combination of ingredients, and the cream of mushroom soup sounds great, too!
    Kitten belly, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am craving the smoothie again just thinking about it. Really nice to have the creaminess in it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have had some good success with a number of recipes! I really love a good museli, especially the ones with a mix of grains that are soaked overnight
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really great book, I have made so many things that I have loved.

      Delete
  4. Wolfie LOVED the berries. lol That mushroom soup looks yummy. It's been forever since I've had a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 36dC here today, soup weather has passed us by. But you should definitely make some, I am sure it must be more like soup weather where you are?

      Delete