Saturday 3 January 2015

New Year shenanigans

Over the last several years, I have embraced life as a New Year Grinch. I like to stay in, watch TV, hug my cats and go to bed way before midnight. Last year I was working on NYE, but got home in time to make pizza. So this year I thought I might make pizza again.

However this year, something surprising happened. I was invited to a New Year's party and I actually went. Because it was with a small group of totally rad people, at someone's house, was going to have vegan hotdogs, and they were totally fine with me leaving early.

We had lots of snacks. Including a bag to Tings I had brought back from the US earlier this year and had been saving for a special occasion. There was also some super garlicky hummus and some tapenade with carrot sticks and breadsticks.

New Year's Eve Snacks


Marion, out hostess, turns out to be a hotdog ninja. Check out these beauties! They had Marion's super special 'slop' on the bottom (onions, mushrooms, BBQ sauce and some other stuff), then a hot dog, kraut and Daiya, melted under the grill, then drizzled all over with sauces. I also love her because when she was making them she said the best words: 'Everyone wants to start with two, right?'. None of this one piddly hot dog business!

New Year's Eve Hotdogs


Marion also made some awesome desserts. These are cute little caramel tarts - gingerbread cookies made into little shells, filled with caramel and a dollop of Soyatoo.

New Year's Eve Caramel Tarts


And she also made these super cute mini-cheesecakes. Peanut butter chocolate and mint and chocolate. Yum!

New Year's Eve Mini-Cheesecakes


I had a lovely time, and when I started getting too sleepy I headed home, later than I expected, but I was still home in time to begin the new year with my cats. In fact, this is the first time in many years I have been awake at midnight for new year!

My decision to party was a last minute, so I had already bought all the pizza stuff. I made these on New Year's Day instead.

Scalloped Potato Pizza from Vegan Pizza by Julie Hasson: This pizza was amazing! First you layer on some easy to make smoky cheddar sauce, then some grated vegan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart mozzarella), then thinly sliced potatoes. It is pretty much like eating potato bake on a pizza. Just think about about.
Rating: :D

Scalloped Potato Pizza


Pepperoni Tempeh Pizza Salad from Salad Samurai by Terry Hope Romero: Instead of making a second pizza, I made this pizza salad. Greens and stuff. This was very satisfying. It involved making a couple of other recipes first - some classic croutons (I used some leftover olive batard for these) and a hemp seed parmesan. Then pepperoni-seasoned tempeh cubes are tossed with greens, olives and a fire-roasted tomato dressing. Yum!
Rating: :)

Pepperoni Tempeh Pizza Salad


Group shot!

New Year's Dinner - Pepperoni Tempeh Pizza Salad and Scalloped Potato Pizza


I hope everyone had a good new year, however you celebrated or slept through it!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Crumpet


Hang on a minute, what is this? THIS IS NOT A CAT! This is Crumpet, Marion's totally sweetheart puppy. She is delightful, and I had some good puppy hug time.

Monster the fluffy


Back on schedule - Marion's kitty Monster is a total delight! So full of purrs and snuggles. He let me rub his tummy! I love him.

3 comments:

  1. Nice pizza! I am in agreement with you re: new years, but I'm glad you had fun with Marion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great way to spend New Year. I used to be into big New Years celebrations but this year did a similar thing to you visiting friends but then back home before midnight. Hope 2015 is a great year for you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a New Year Grinch too! Marion's party looks like it was worth staying up late though. Two hot dogs? Yes, Marion, thankyouverymuch! And you even got to hug a puppy and rub a kitteh's belly! :)

    That pizza looks like a dream: carbs on carbs. WANT!

    ReplyDelete