Sunday 7 December 2014

Recipe Round-Up: One-Dish Vegan

Some more from One Dish Vegan!

Korean Hot Pot: Wombok, carrot, shiitakes, tofu, scallions, enoki mushrooms, bean sprouts and ginger are cooked in a yummy broth and served over hot rice. It is as good as it sounds. Everyone serves themselves from the pot, and the remaining broth can be served in small cups or bowls (though I ended up putting some back over my food in the bowl as well).
Rating: :)

Korean Hot Pot


Korean Hot Pot


Korean Hot Pot


Vegetable Etouffee: Based on a Cajun stew, I shameless ignored the so called 'trinity' of vegetables and ditched the capsicum in favour of extra celery in peas. Kidney beans, tomatoes and seasonings make this a tasty dinner, served over brown rice.
Rating: :)

Vegetable Etouffee


Black Bean and Two-Tomato Stew with Quinoa: Fire-roasted tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes are the two tomatoes here. I left out the red capsicum in favour of some diced carrot. This was yummy, but from a visual perspective next time I would make it with red, rather than white, quinoa. For some reason I was expecting it to look a lot redder! I got 3.5 serves out of this.
Rating: :)

Black Bean and Two-Tomato Stew with Quinoa


Hot Salsa Pinto Beans and Rice: I made these not so hot by decreasing the chili, and I also used peas instead of capsicum. Served over brown rice, this was like a fun burrito bowl. Especially food with the crunchy lettuce and sour cream.
Rating: :)

Hot Salsa Pinto Beans and Rice


Risotto with Artichokes and Mushrooms: I love making risotto, I find the stirring very zen. I used a whole 200g box of mushrooms (rather than 4 ounces) and a whole tin of artichoke hearts (rather than just a cup), so I didn't have left over bits and pieces and because I like a high stuff to rice ratio. The recipe calls for 4 cups of broth, though says you may not need all of it, but I did. I served this over spinach and with some Tofurkey Chicken and Apple Sausages.
Rating: :)

Risotto with Artichokes and Mushrooms


Tunisian Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes and Greens: This is satisfying, and served over brown rice gave four good sized servings. There is an option of the greens to use, and I used chopped English spinach (as opposed to kale or silverbeet).
Rating: :)

Tunisian Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes and Greens


Szechwan Tempeh and Green Beans: This is so delicious, even my tempeh suspicious father enjoyed it. I used a 300g packet of tempeh, rather than 250g, so I used the larger Australian tablespoons to mix up the sauce of the tempeh to make sure there was plenty to go around. The tempeh was salty, but there was also a sweetness and freshness from the beans. Served over rice. I got about three serves out of this, rather than four. You will want to eat it all!
Rating: :D

Szechwan Tempeh and Green Beans


One-Pot Cheesy Mac: This was one very saucy pasta dish! I used 250g of pasta (tube macaroni, I couldn't find elbow macaroni), and I only had enough for 2 cups of broccoli (rather than 3), so I filled it up with peas and spinach. It is a pretty tasty little mac and cheese, with cashews and white beans in the sauce. I used the leftover beans from the tin to add to the rest of the pasta as well.
Rating: :)

One-Pot Cheesy Mac


Ziti with Sicilian-Style Tomato Sauce: Sometimes I can always find ziti in the supermarket, so I use penne instead. This sauce has onion, eggplant, tomatoes, lots of garlic and capers. Also capsicum, but I just left that out. I also added in the option chopped sausages, using the homemade sausages from Isa Does It. I found this was lacking a complex flavour, it just needed a little something extra, but I am not sure what.
Rating: :)

Ziti with Sicilian-Style Tomato Sauce


White Bean Cassoulet: I love cassoulet, and this recipe did not disappoint. Red onion, carrots, parsnips, white beans and sausages (optional, but as if you would leave them out - I used the ones from Isa Does It) make one heck of a delicious dinner, that smells amazing in the oven. The sauce involves some miso, which is always a good thing in my book! I used panko breadcrumbs for topping.
Rating: :D

White Bean Cassoulet


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim posing


Dim Sim is waiting for her water bowl to be filled up (even if I have just filled it, she demands it be filled fresh to the top every time she wants a drink!), and she has posed herself right in front of one of my Maryanne Oliver prints, her little face is actually over the face of the black cat in the print, super cute.

1 comment:

  1. the food makes me hungry! I love it. thank you for sharing! :D I also follow one website which also inspires me. it talks about vegan food and fitness, http://www.bodybyblasian.com/ Goodluck! :)

    ReplyDelete