Thursday 13 November 2014

Recipe Round-Up: La Dolce Vegan

Tomorrow I will start holiday posting, I can't wait for you to see all the food! But for the moment, here is another round-up.

I wasn't initially going to buy this book, but I ended up getting La Dolce Vegan from a bookstore when they had a two for the price of three cookbook deal. I haven't cooked a whole lot from it. A lot of the recipes seem to be contributed by other people, in particular someone called Wolffie.

Pinto Bean Casserole with Tortilla Chip Crust and Sauteed Cauliflower with Cilantro: This is tasty pie topped with crunchy corn chips and melted cheese, which is a good combination. I used zucchini instead of green capsicum. It is especially good with the optional sour cream. The cauliflower recipe made a nice side, and is actually from The Garden of Vegan.
Rating: Casserole :), Cauliflower :)

Pinto Bean Casserole with Tortilla Chip Crust; Sauteed Cauliflower and Cilantro (TGOV); Green Salad


Monday Morning Muesli: I love muesli for an afternoon snack. This one has oats, wheat germ, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and your choice of nuts and dried fruit. I used almonds, cranberries and sultanas, which was a good combination.
Rating: :)

Monday Morning Muesli


Uber Quick Breakfast Oats: This is one of those barely a recipe recipes - oats covered in milk with fruit and syrup. I seemed to have used some sort of stewed fruit here, I can't remember what it is.
Rating: :)

Uber Quick Breakfast Oats


Wolffie's Fiesta Macaroni Bean Salad: Macaroni (I used 250g) with carrot, cucumber, celery (instead of capsicum), beans and sweet pickle relish, doused in a sweetish dressing. This was sweeter than I was expecting, but was still a nice lunch served over some greens.
Rating :)

Wolffie's Fiesta Macaroni Bean Salad


Wolffie's Pasta Salad: This was a pretty classic kind of pasta salad - lots of olives and tomatoes and parsley. Definitely use the option nooch (it says vegan parmesan, but in my book that means nooch) in the dressing.
Rating: :)

Wolffie's Pasta Salad


Claire's Macaroni and Cheese: A very fast mac and cheese, based on melted cheese in the sauce. Of course I added some nooch as well. Very satisfying.
Rating: :)

Claire's Macaroni and Cheeze


Red Lentil Pasta: I always love a red lentil pasta dish, but sadly this was a bit bland. You may also need to add some extra stock while cooking. The sauce is also included as a separate recipe in the sauces chapter, as well as appearing here.
Rating: :|

Red Lentil Pasta


Veggie Goulash: This was pretty tasty, full of veggies. I added some beans for extra protein, and some sour cream on top for extra yummy.
Rating: :)

Veggie Goulash


Cousin Natasha's Everything But The Kitchen Sink Vegetable Curry: Quite a mouthful of a recipe name! While there is a list of vegetables to add, the basic premise is that you can add anything extra that you want. I added some peas and cherry tomatoes as well.
Rating: :)

Cousin Natasha's Everything But The Kitchen Sink Vegetable Curry


Veggie Pot Pie: This was pretty nice on a winter's night. I would have liked more vegetables in the filling, I think mushrooms would be great. The pastry recipe is very easy.
Rating: :)

Veggie Pot Pie


Veggie Pot Pie


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Poppy the Burmese


This message is brought to you by Poppy, a kitty in boarding, who thought it would be fun to try blogging when I left my laptop on the bench at the clinic and went to do a consult:
"ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh b"
As you can see, Poppy is overwhelmed by the exertions of her writing efforts.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    I plan on making the sauteed cauliflower tonight and I was just googling the recipe name and saw your site listed. It was so nice to look at your reviews... and see there were some recipes here I haven't done yet! I love Claire's macaroni and cheese. And the pot pie. And other recipes too :)

    ReplyDelete