Sunday 20 August 2023

Eating Out: Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets July 2023

Hello everyone, how are you? What have you been up to? I have suddenly become deeply into women's soccer in the last week, thanks to the Matildas being incredible in the FIFA World Cup, which was held in Australia this year. I caught their match against France, and it was so intense. And even though they didn't win their next two games, they still made it to fourth place in the world, and incredible achievement! Anyway, I'm a sports gay now, or something. Yay Matildas!

This post is about another visit to the markets! This was my most recent one, I didn't go this month because work got in the way. The July one was very special, because my brother was visiting from Spain! And we went together. Sadly, he had made the cardinal mistake of having a late lunch, which is not what you do when you are going to go to the markets! But some good food was still had.

This market was the week after Taylor Swift tickets went on sale (and swiftly - heh - sold out) in Australia, and a few days after the release of Speak Now (Taylor's Version), so Pippa's Pantry went all out with a Taylor Swift theme! Pippa's Pantry is a cupcake stall where I often buy something for my mum, as I am not a cupcake person. But I couldn't resist getting a Lavender and Earl Grey Haze cupcake: an earl grey cupcake filled with earl grey custard and topped with sparkling lavender icing. And it was really good, miraculously the icing was not super sweet. I also got a Chocolate Goes All Too Well With Caramel Cupcake for my mum, complete with a little red fondant scarf. All the cupcakes had fun names based on Taylor songs, and were decorated beautifully.

Lavender Haze, All To Well, Iced Vovo from Pippa's Pantry (Taylor's Editon) at Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets


I also couldn't resist a 'We Hate Jake' sugar cookie, because it made me laugh.

Sugar Cooking from Pippa's Pantry (Taylor's Editon) at Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets


Cupcakes bought (there was a super long line, so we went there first), next stop was some savouries from Vegetabelle, where we got their new special - potato rosti with smoky beans and cheesy sauce. It was a chilly night, and this was perfect colder weather comfort food. Vegetabelle always hits it out of the park.

Rosti with Smokey Beans and Cheese Sauce from Vegetabelle at Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets


We also go the Potato Crispy Tacos from Holy Taco, which were three crispy rolled tacos filled with mashed potato and topped with assorted things like guac, salsa, and sour cream. Very good.

Potato Crispy Tacos from Holy Taco at Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets


Not pictured, we got some steamed BBQ buns from Oh Mien. And then we were going to finish up by sharing a toasted sandwich from Miso Toasty, but they had just had a huge order and it was going to be a 30 minute wait, so we decided to skip that and head on home. Not before stopping by Vegetabelle again though to pick up my favourite market treats - Lemon Meringue Tart, Apple Crumble Cheesecake, and Rosewater Raspberry Blondie.

Apple Crumble Cheesecake, Lemon Meringue Tart, Rosewater Raspberry Blondie from Vegetabelle at Brisbane Vegan Twilight Markets


Tonight I guess I am staying up to watch the finals of the FIFA Womens World Cup between Spain and England. I am going for Spain, not because England beat Australia but because my brother lives in Spain as his partner and her family are Spanish. Have you discovered something new and unexpected that brings you joy recently?

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Eloise


I went to say goodnight to Eloise the other night and found her sleeping here... on top of one of my bookshelves. I guess she thought she was a nice addition to the display, which she was. Let's be real, she's be best centerpiece I could think of.



4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a potato taco! I must try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice. Crispy taco plus creamy potato mash, excellent together.

      Delete
  2. So excited you don't have to do an oral exam for your PhD!!! Those Taylor Swift sweets are adorable! Every time I read your posts I get hungry from all your delicious food pics. And so glad to see Spain won - they deserved it. - Sri.

    ReplyDelete