Sunday 27 September 2020

Recipe Round-Up: Blissful Bites

Today I am finishing up sharing the recipes I have made from the lovely book Blissful Bites by Christy Morgan. You can see my previous posts on this book here.

Laotian Tofu Larb: Thisis a simple dish made with steamed and crumbled tofu, and then mixed with carrot, wombok, coriander, and sauce. I left out the capsicum. It is eaten chilled, and I served it over some greens. I'd recommend eating this on the first day it is made, it doesn't keep well like other tofu dishes and started smelling a bit funky after 24 hours. But it is nice, so you'll be happy to eat it all up quickly.
Rating: :)

Laotian Tofu Larb


Tropical Three Bean Salad: With mango, tomato and avocado, this salad is a perfect summer-time dish to make. The beans are kidney, white, and chickpeas. Served over greens this is a wonderful filling and refreshing salad.
Rating: :)

Tropical Three-Bean Salad


Pan-Fried Tofu with Carrot-Ginger Sauce: This is easy to make, but put it on a platter and it looks fancy! The tofu is marinated in a OJ-based marinade, pan-fried, and topped with an orange-ginger-carrot sauce. Initially the sauce tastes strongly of organce, but it mellows with cooking into a nice well-rounded flavour. Serve with rice and steamed broccoli.
Rating: :)

Pan-Fried Tofu with Carrot-Ginger Sauce


Tofu with Almond-Coconut Cilantro Sauce: The tofu here is simply sliced and fried until golden, a simple canvas for the remarkable sauce. Seriously, the sauce is amazing! It has almond butter, coconut milk (light if you are me), and loads of fresh coriander (as well as other delicious things of course, like ginger and mirin to name two). You will not regret making this!
Rating: :D

Tofu with Almond-Coconut Cilantro Sauce


Un-Tuna Salad: A classic chickpea tuna-style salad. I made a half recipe of this, which made enough for three thick sandwiches. The ususal suspects are here: mayo, carrot, celery, and pickles. I added the optional kelp grnaules which gave it a nice taste of the sea. Not fishy exactly, which is good as I don't like fishy, but that nice seaweed taste.
Rating: :)

Un-Tuna Salad


Zucchini Bread: This recipe uses a mix of barley and brown rice flours, which resulted in a tasty but quite fragile loaf. I also found that the batter was extremely dry when I first mixed it, so I had to add a splash of soy milk until I got the right consistency. The recipe itself has no liquid except for some vegetable oil, apple sauce and the liquid from the zucchini, so I do wonder if that was an oversight.
Rating: :)

Zucchini Bread


Lemon Meringue Cupcakes: These are made using a mix of all-purpose and kamut flour... very happy to find a way to use some of the kamut flour I have after goign through my 'buy all the fancy weird flours phase'. They have a great lemon flavour. Mine were quite dense, because I realised afterwards the I forgot to add the oil It was written at the top of the recipe because it also had the extra to grease the muffin tin as the first instruction (which I didn't even need as I was using cute wrappers), and then in the instructions later on it says to mix the wet ingredients my eyes didn't wander back up to the top of the list (above the dry ingredients) to remember the oil. Ooops! The recipe also has a lemon and coconut frosting using silken tofu, but it also used 1/2 cup of coconut oil and even though I was making these for a bake sale, I don't keep that sort of Susan-killing coconut oil still around in general. So I made a lemony cream cheese frosing for it instead.
Rating: :)

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes


Strawberry-Mint Limeade: This came out with a very strong, sour lime taste, so I would suggest reducing the amount of lime juice a little, or increasing the amount of maple syrup a little. It may also vary dependingon how sweet your strawberries are. It is a very refreshing drink for hot days.
Rating: :)

Strawberry-Mint Limeade


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Adoption kitten Sweep


Adoption kitten Sweep decided that the way the scratcher was set up was boring and he decided to make his own fun with it.

6 comments:

  1. You gave me pause referring to the fancy flour phase! Right now I get excited about anything out of the ordinary I can get delivered and I've been eyeing the unusual flours. Still lemon meringue cupcakes...that makes me want the kamut flour all the more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy flour is a dangerous path to go down, I have so many collecting dust in my cupboard, but it is also so fun! Perhaps this is a time for experimenting with fancy flours? I can always provide you with some recipes!

      Delete
  2. The tofu dishes all look amazing! I'm kind of in a tofu rut I think!
    Sweep is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any tofu is good tofu! You make so many great sauces, any of them could make a pretty tofu and sauce platter.

      Delete
  3. The tofu with almond-coconut cilantro sauce looks amazing!
    Hello, Sweep!

    ReplyDelete