Saturday 19 September 2020

Father's Day 2020

Hi friends, I had to take a little blogging break because I lost all energy and motivation. Still kind of struggling with that, but trying to get back into regular habits again. I am back at work now as well, which is not helping my energy levels!

But on to happier things. The first Sunday in September is Father's Day in Australia. So, as usual, I made my dad a special dinner of his choosing. He picked Mexican, but then as I dreamed about all sorts of delightful beans and rice and totillas I checked in and he was thinking more along the lines of the cheesy/sour creamy 'Mexican'. But also nothing he had to eat with his hands. So enchiladas it was!

Spinach and Bean Enchiladas with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce from Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever: These hit the spot of cheesy, while also allowing me to use some beans and even some spinach, yay! The enchiladas are filled with a mix of onion, tomatoes, pinto beans, baby spinach, and cheese (I used the Daiya mixed one). For the spices, I left out the chili powder and used a mix of regular andsmoked paprika instead. I have zero luck with corn tortillas, so I used some nice little flour ones and they rolled so nicely. So, technically this says it serves 4-6, but the three of us ate it all! It is served with a lovely cilantro-lime cream sauce, which is cashew based and super easy to make. The lime is not overpowering either. I needed to add an extra splash of soymilk to mine to loosen it up a bit enough for pouring. Because my mum is avoiding citrus, I served it on the side rather than pouring it onto the top of the enchiladas after baking. I also served this with a chopped salad (no green leaves, as per my dad's request), of grated carrot, cucumber, celery, tomato, and corn.
Rating: Enchiladas :), Sauce :)

Spinach and Bean Enchiladas


Cliantro-Lime Cream


Spinach and Bean Enchiladas with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce


Chocolate Mousse from Tofu 1-2-3 by Maribeth Abrams: For dessert he requested a chocolate mousse, which is what my mother wanted for her mother's day dinner as well. I need more adventurous people to make weird desserts for! Anyway, this time I tried a recipe from my Tofu 1-2-3 cookbook, which was that classic combination of silken tofu blended with melted chocolate. This is RICH! I served it topped with a scoop of So Delicious Vanilla Cashew Youghurt, and some sliced strawberries.
Rating: :)

Chocolate Mousse


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


The sun is coming up earlier every day, which makes for a very happy little black cat.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your energy and motivation is lagging. This is a rough year anyway, and then adding surgery recovery to it as well can't be easy. Thinking of you!

    The meal you made your dad looks so good! David isn't into sauce-y or cheese-y things, or pinto beans. So I usually make that kind of stuff when he's not around... Needless to say, I won't be making that for a while! Haha! I think it's sweet you managed to make a salad for your dad without using leaves, which he didn't want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not into cheesy things? I love cheesy things. But each to their own. One day we can eat super cheesy stuff together.

      Delete
    2. I would love that! I'm itching to travel once it's safe to do that again.

      Delete
  2. Though adventurous desserts are great, I don't think you can beat a chocolate tofu mousse! And I always love enchiladas. And often I prefer my salads without leaves. This looks like a pretty ideal meal, to me!

    It's hard to stay motivated. Everyone I know is really struggling. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest the mousse was perfect because it didn't take much effort so I was glad to just have it come together so quickly.

      Delete
  3. This looks like such a lovely meal for your dad!
    Enjoy the sunshine, Dim Sim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is basically here... halfway through the first month of spring... so there will be lots of sun for her to enjoy.

      Delete