Sunday 20 September 2020

Recipe Round-Up: Blissful Bites

Still Blissful, but a different cookbook. No more basil, all bite. This is Blissful Bites, by Christy Morgan. A book I love! I have used it so much, the pages are coming away from the binding. Good times are to be had. I have posted about this book several times before.

Southwest Tofu Scramble: A solid scramble with veggies and spices. I used some paprika instead of the chili powder. It also has cumin and nutritional yeast in it. Veggie-wise, it has carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms, but I also added some baby spinach to wilt into it. I did find that this scramble was a little on the dry side, it could have done with a splash of some sort of extra liquid. I served it with some thinly sliced potato that I roasted, and some store-bought guacamole.
Rating: :)

Southwest Tofu Scramble


Red Quinoa Salad: I made a half recipe of this fun red salad. Despite what you might expect, it does not specify for red quinoa to be used. I used tricolour because that is what I had. It has beetroot and carrot in it, as well as avocado and toasted sunflower seeds. Even though I halved the recipe, I still used the whole amount of beetroot. The basil gives it a lovely fresh flavour, and the salad itself is sweet and earthy. The roasted sunflower seeds are also delicious.
Rating: :)

Red Quinoa Salad


Macro "Mac and Cheeze": This is a delicious mac and cheese recipe that uses silken tofu, miso, butternut pumpkin, and nutritional yeast in the sauce. It is truly wonderful. I just used half the amount of pasta, so 250g, which was just right for my sauce preferences. Served with some steamed broccoli and BBQ sauce-glazed chick'n strips.
Rating: :D

Macro 'Mac and Cheeze'


Macro 'Mac and Cheeze'


Quinoa with Toasted Pecans and Dried Cherries: This is a nice combination that also makes for a good festive kind of salad. The salad is tossed with some Lemon Miso Dressing, which I have spoken about before. A great dressing, but I'd recommend using more of it than the recipe recommends because it doesn't go very far.
Rating: :)
Quinoa with Toasted Pecans and Dried Cherries


Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice: This recipe uses pineapple juice reserved from the tin of pineapple chunks to simmer carrots and asparagus until tender. And interesting technique but I found it had some sort of weird flavour from/in the asparagus. I think asparagus should be either roasted and stir-fried. I also found the flavour of this a little bit lacking, needed more pineapple and tamari flavour. Nothing a little douse of soy sauce wouldn't fix. But all in all, this one was a bit off. I served it with some steamed broccoli and some grilled tofu.
Rating: :)

Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice


Land and Sea Soba Salad: This is a great salad, whish is in the sea vegetables chapter. There are so many fun ways to use seaweed. This salad uses either hijiki or arame, I used arame. This also has carrot, cabbage, broccoli, and tofu. The dressing is easy to make, and tastes fantastic.
Rating: :D

Land and Sea Soba Salad


Tofu Salad (Eggless Egg Salad): This is a pretty classic tofu egg salad recipe, with mayo and carrots and celery. The tofu in this recipe is steamed first before crumbling into the salad, which gave it a nice extra texture. I served this over lettuce for lunch, and got two servings out of it.
Rating: :)

Tofu Salad (Eggless Salad)


Lentil-Coconut Curry: This is a damn delicious curry! I always soak my brown lentils overnight, and then it still took them about 30 minutes to cook through enough. You don't want them to cook too much though, as the do some more simmering in the curry. I ditched the coconut oil for grapeseed oil to sautee the veggies. The recipe has an extra one cup of water reserved to add if you need to thin it out a bit because things are sticking, but I didn't need to use it. The coconut in this does not come from coconut milk, but rather from shredded coconut that is simmered in with it. It is so good! I served it with brown rice and baby spinach.
Rating: :D

Lentil-Coconut Curry


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


The other day she fell asleep holding onto her back paw and it was just so very sweet and cute.

4 comments:

  1. I eat a lot of tofu, but for some reason it's been years since I've made a tofu scramble! I don't know why!
    I like a lot of sauce with my mac and cheese too, really any pasta. I even like extra sauce on pizza!
    The food all looks gorgeous, but Dim Sim really stole this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She always does!
      I love a scramble, they are so easy and so versatile.

      Delete
  2. That mac & cheese looks incredible!
    Every time I think Dim Sim couldn't possibly get any cuter than she already is, she still somehow manages to! <3

    ReplyDelete