Saturday 3 August 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 #3: A is for Appetite For Reduction (Recipe Round-Up)




One of my favourite cookbooks is Appetite For Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I don't subscribe to weight loss or diet culture, but I don't think about this book like that. It is a wonderful book full of lots of great recipes and with loads of flavour. You can see what else I have cooked from this book here.

Pad Thai Salad: I love Pad Thai, and this salad has a lot of the same flavours. In its original form, it is a veggie-full salad with cos, bean sprouts, red onion, carrots, and coriander. I bulked it up a bit by adding some cold cooked brown basmati rice and some chopped radish. I left out the raw onion, and cur way back on the beansprouts (using a tin rather than fresh). The best part is undoubtedly the delicious Peanut-Lime Dragon Dressing, which is less dragon for me because I left out the sriracha. This dressing is drinkable! It also has quite a strong lime flavour, so I didn't bother serving the salad with extra lime wedges for squeezing. I got two serves out of this.
Rating: Salad :), Dressing :D

Pad Thai Salad


Red Lentil & Root Veggie Dal: There is nothing quite like a big bowl of comforting dal. As well as the usual lentils, this one also had parsnip, turnip, and carrots. There are a lot of spices involved as well, giving a nice flavour. I served it over some brown basmati rice, as suggested.
Rating: :)

Red Lentil & Root Veggie Dal


Lentil & Eggplant Chili Mole: A few alterations were made to this - leaving out the capsicum, and dialling the chili waaaaay down. The combination of brown lentils and eggplant made this nice and satisfying. I love mole, the lovely depth that the cocoa brings to the tomato in the sauce. I served this over some rice.
Rating: :)

Lentil and Eggplant Chili Mole


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim's Lazy Sunday Afternoon Snooze


When you are a cat, the world can be your bed. Make a bed wherever you feel like. In a cat bed, on a human bed, in a pile of clothes, in a basket, or on a blanket. Dim Sim isn't a huge fan of cat beds, but I don't want her to miss out on the MoFo fun! So we'll be a little flexible. Dim Sim thought this folded up blanket was just the thing for a little snooze.

12 comments:

  1. Appetite for Reduction is such a great book! I haven't made nearly as many recipes out of it as I have some of Isa's other books, though. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is probably my most used Isa cookbook, I have maybe almost cooked through it!

      Delete
  2. Isa Chandra Moskowitz writes the best cookbooks! I can imagine that Appetite for Reduction is just as lovely as any of her other efforts. That salad looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a great cookbook author. Her Vegan With a Vengeance really changed my vegan world.

      Delete
  3. Appetite for Reduction has such amazing recipes and I never ever use it! I have a feeling you'll be inspiring me to crack open my cookbooks. Everything looks so good and I really need the Pad Thai Salad in my life ASAP! Sweet Dim Sim, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dal looks like perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. So simple and yet so comforting.

      Delete
  5. That lentil eggplant mole chili is my FAVORITE! It got to the point where my husband had to ask for a break from it. I should try it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It is a really good one. You should definitely make it again.

      Delete
  6. One of my favorite cookbooks ever! The pad Thai salad is looking especially appealing right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best thing for a hot summer evening!

      Delete