Wednesday 1 December 2021

Midweek Munchies

How are you all holding up? It is going to be a rainy summer here, so very wet. But also very hot and humid. Gross. Hurrah for air conditioning! Let's see some food.

My beautiful friend Amy gifted me some of her homemade pho broth a while ago, which kept very nicely in the freezer until I was ready to do something with it. It made the whole freezer smell amazing! I loved having it there for some quick and easy dinners, just adding bits of pieces of things I had around the house. The first time I made it I used a whole little cake of rice vermicelli (I know, not traditional noodles for pho, but it was what I had), which ended up making it more like a saucy noodle dish! The second time I halved the noodles, and got a lovely soup. The first time I used cubed Japanese marinated tofu, the second time I used fried tofu puffs. Plus some random veggies I had lying around, as well as some rehydrated shiitake mushrooms. Delicious.

Amy's Pho


Amy's Pho


I did the thing! A while ago Kraft released a vegan (and gluten free) version of their boxed mac and cheese. And I ate it! And it is... really good. I don't remember really eating the original version, so I don't have any nostalgic ties. They only downside is the pasta is just a little bit gluten-free textured. But the sauce is so good!

Kraft Vegan Mac and Cheese


Some fun snacks from the Asian grocery store! Of course I had to get these charcoal peanuts. They look like a sheep poop, but they are nice to eat. The charcoal layer is mostly crunchy sugar, but does have a nice slight charcoal flavour. Just remember, if you are ever eating or drinking anything with charcoal in it, make sure it is at least two hours away from any medications you need to take so it doesn't interfere with absorption.

Charcoal Covered Peanuts


These cute little peanut snacks were fun. The chocolate covered peanuts were as you'd expect, but the real star was the F&Fs. They are are basically vegan peanut M&Ms and I highly recommend them.

Freedom Peanut Treats


Finally for today, these chips. I was intrigued by the flavour. Unfortunately, they were a let down. The texture of the chip was really strange... they were thick like a ruffled chip, but without the ruffles, so it was just a bit odd. And the flavour... eh. I suppose it was a bit bacon-ish if I really thought about it. Oh well, they can't all be winners, and everything else in this post was very much enjoyed.

Crispy Bacon Chips


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara


A Sahara photo, just because.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to find the Kraft Vegan Mac here. I'll continue to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is only in Australia at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Haha, sheep poop peanuts. :-) Also, I'm so jealous of that vegan mac!! I saw it's only in Australia for now, but I hope it comes to the US soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, sheep poop peanuts. :-) Also, I'm so jealous of that vegan mac!! I saw it's only in Australia for now, but I hope it comes to the US soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are nearly all of the vegan macaroni and cheeses also gluten free? I am glad it exists in general, but I loathe gluten free pasta--I know just what you mean about the texture. If I have to give up gluten, I think I would just give up pasta. But I'm glad you liked the Kraft cheese! I don't really think the nostalgia is more than just memories--from what I recall, the "Kraft Dinner" wasn't that flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends said she just buys it for the sauce powder and uses her own pasta, which I think sounds sensible. Though then you end up with a pile of gluten free pasta packets!

      Delete