Monday 2 August 2021

Mooloolaba Part 2

Hello! As I write this, we are in lockdown because there is a Delta outbreak here. And because such a small percent of our population is vaccinated, we are in a precarious position. Thankfully me and my parents are all fully vaccinated! Of course, lockdown doesn't change the fact I still need to go to work and interact with staff and public. Big shout out to essential workers, there is a special kind of lockdown stress that comes from having to still go to work and be around people coming and going.

So let's cast our minds back to happier times, with the conclusion of my Mooloolaba trip earlier this year! You can see part one here. We left of having just had a lovely brunch and visit to a pretty park. After that, my parents headed home and I had some time to spend on my own up there. That brunch was pretty big, so I wasn't hungry for a while. But I started getting a bit peckish in the afternoon.

A lot of restaurants are closed between lunch and dinner. But fancy pants vegan restaurant Elixaba was not one of them. So I was able to stop in to sample a few small bites on the menu for a late lunch.They have several fancy cocktails on the menu, and a couple of mocktails. I got the Blessed Bird, which is the mocktail version of their Pink Flamingo. It is basically grapefruit and cranberry juice (no fizzy, yay!) with a salt and hibiscus rim. It was very pretty and refreshing.

Blessed Bird at Elixaba


For food I had Loaded Hemp Chips (spiced chips with aioli, hemp seeds, and coconut bacon) and their Tea Smoked Mushrooms (with herbal pesto, napoli sauce, and pickled carrot). I was really excited about the mushrooms, but to be honest they were not all I was hoping. Still good, but I was expecting a bit more from their signature starter.

Hemp Loaded Fries and Tea Smoked Mushrooms at Elixaba


All their desserts have coconut oil in them, so I finished with a sweet Moontime Latte. It is a rose and maca latte, and it was DELICIOUS!

Moontime Latte at Elixaba


I went back to the hotel afterwards and spent some time reading. In the evening, I heading down to the beach for some dog spotting. But I was feeling suddenly very invigorated, and took a really long evening walk. Not on the beach, but on the boardwalk around the beach. It has been a while since I have walked so much. My feet were screaming at me, but the fresh sea air with the wind and the beautiful full moon kept me going. (My body punished me afterwards.)

Evening beach walk


Evening beach walk


After my walk, I was starving again! But what to eat? I spent some time Googling. And ended up choosing a place called El Bigaton, a Latin Street Food restaurant that had several vegan options. Sadly, their delivery part of the website wasn't working. So I hoisted onto my feet and walked down. It wasn't a long walk, and it took me down to The Wharf Mooloolabah, which I hadn't been to. The Wharf is a place you can rent assorted water activity things, but it also has a lot of restaurants (a few with vegan options). This was a Tuesday, which meant they had a special on tacos! I got two vegan tacos (grilled veggies, slaw, beans, guac, salsa), a vegan arepa (cornmeal flatbread with grilled veggies, beans, sweet plantains, and salsa) and the patacones con guacamole (fried green plantains with guac). OMG. Everything was INCREDIBLE! Like, I could cry incredible. Even with having to pick out a bit of capsicum. So fresh, so good, I had to stop on the way back to complement them. And since I have been, they have released even more vegan options! I had never heard of this place before, but this should be a must visit for any vegan in the area.

Plantains and guac, vegan tacos, vegan arepas at El Bigaton


One thing I did struggle with during my stay there was finding any kombucha that didn't have stevia. The places I went, or the 7-11 near the hotel, even the Coles I went to after Elixaba, only seemed to have Remedy Kombucha, which is full of stevia. I did find these two little digestive shots at a Coles. The Mojo I have had before, in fact normally I drink Mojo ginger kombucha out of big bottles. But this little gut health shot was new. And let us never speak of it again, because it was like a sludgy gross pear juice. And I like pear juice! But they ruined it.

Silly drinks


Before bed, I took a final visit to the frozen yoghurt place. I got American Cream and Green Apple Sorbet (so it was kind of like an apple pie), with raspberry syrup and maple nut granola. Eaten while looking at the beach at night.

Green Apple and American Cream with raspberry syrup and maple nut granola from Yoghurt and Gelato World


Night Beach


The final morning, I went back to The Nectar Bar for another smoothie. This time I had the Cyclops (carrot cake), which had carrots, oats, baobab, dates, cinnamon and almond milk. No photo, because it looks just like the last one... in a cup you cannot see through.

I headed out to try a new place for brunch. Cafe Nurcha at Maroochydore. This place is a cafe attached to a vegan food/new agey shop. The cafe has a huge menu for breakfast and lunch. I got the Brekkie Bagle, which was a charcoal (yes!) infused with garlic butter, smashed avocado, potato rosti, smoked tofu, tomato, spinach, and hollandaise sauce (hold the chili jam). It was big and messy, but very nice. I also had their Jaffa Surprise hot chocolate.

Breakfast Bagel at Nurcha


Jaffa Surprise Hot Chocolate at Nurcha


I now know that this is the place to go first on any visit. Because there are loads of fun things in that shop, and it is also right next to an IGA that has a load of other fun things. Things I have never seen! Fun frozen and chilled things I could not buy because I sadly didn't have any ice packs to transport them home to Brisbane in. Things I will definitely return for. And also, so many different types of stevia-free kombucha! I only bought a few things, very restrained of me. I got some chocolate covered seeds and blueberries, as well as some tumeric ginger chews from Nurcha. And from the IGA I got some nice looking cashew butter, and some raspberry chocolate. Also included is some vegan shrimp paste I bought from Cafe Vie.

Things I bought


Then it was time to farewell the far too sunny for me beach, and head home.

Daytime beach


I did not return home empty handed though. I realised I forgot to mention that the day before I left, I paid a visit to Roots Cafe and Bakery, which has a bunch of vegan options. I bought these to take home. As well as a couple of take away treats I got from Cafe Vie as well. On the savoury side, there was the vegan quiche and pastie from Roots, and a ham and cheese croissant from Cafe Vie. For sweets, there was a peanut butter cookie, cornbread cookie, and banana bread from Roots, and another Lamington cookie that I got from Cafe Vie. Everything was very good, but my favourite as the pastie!

Pastie and quiche from Roots Bakery and Cafe, Ham and Cheese Croissant from Cafe Vie


Peanut Butter Cookie, Cornflake Cookie, Banana Bread from Roots Bakery and Cafe, Lamington Cookie by Black Lemonade Bakery


Thus ends my little two day trip away! Thanks for reading this far. I do hope one day to be able to go back and buy more fun stuff and eat more fun food! For now though, I will get ready to go to work, and otherwise I'll be hermetically sealed in my house.

4 comments:

  1. That Blessed Bird mocktail looks delicious. I am going to try to recreate it. What is the white creamy looking topping? Sounds like you had a good time on your trip. Sorry to hear that the lockdown is back. I so wish everything would be back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was more froth than anything creamy, maybe just from blending up the juices? You know sometimes orange juice gets a bit of a froth on top. But it does seem to be particularly thick, so I am not sure what their secret is.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you have to bear the anxiety of all this. But it seems like you have some nice memories of the ocean and some delicious food. The plantains look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I got to have this time away. Hard to believe it was only two and a half months ago.

      And plaintains are so rarely seen on menus here, it was so delightful to find a place that serves them and makes them so well.

      Delete