Friday 7 May 2021

Eating Out: U-Tong Thai

I'm jumping all over my timeline here. My last post was about some of the food I ate in the worst times after Dim Sim. This post is from food a few months later, when I went out to lunch with my friend Diana. She played a huge roll on the day of Dim Sim's passing, that I am forever grateful for. I was just starting back at work a bit, and finished at midday on her day off, so we met half-way at U-Tong Thai, a vegan Thai place in Clayfield. I've been to U-Tong in its current state once before, but before it was U-Tong it was PingAn Veggie Time Thai, which I went to several times.

I got a Rosella Iced Tea to drink, which is such a wonderful and refreshing drink. I don't know how to really describe it if you haven't had it before, but it is sweet and sort of floral.

Rosella Iced Tea at U-Tong Thai


Diana and I shared some starters. The Hoisin Duck Bao were wonderful, with fluffy bao buns and a great filling. We also got the Roti and Peanut Sauce, which I had previously enjoyed when it was PingAn. The roti is still amazing, so flaky and savoury and warm. Unfortunately they had changed the peanut sauce, so it was thinner and more a curry-style peanut sauce.

Hoisin Duck Bao at U-Tong Thai


Roti and Peanut Sauce at U-Tong Thai


For our mains we went pretty typical. Diana got the Pad Thai, and I of course got the Pad See Ew. Pad See Ew is one of my favourite foods ever, so I have a hard time saying no to it on a menu, even though I've had it at this location a few times before!

Pad Thai at U-Tong Thai


Pad See Ew at U-Tong Thai


6 comments:

  1. I miss Thai food--I should try to cook some for myself. Yours looks great! That tea is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thai food is definitely one of my favourites. I just wish this place was a little closer to me. There are some other Thai places that say they have vegetarian options, but I always get conflicting information as to if the actual sauces are vegan or if they have fish sauce/shrimp paste.

      Delete
  2. I think rosella is hibiscus elsewhere! It's delicious in iced tea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know they were the same thing! I know two places here that sell it as rosella ice tea, but other places I think do have hibiscus tea on the menu, I've just never ordered it there. It's so lovely.

      Delete
  3. I've said it a million times, but you really find the most fun drinks!
    All the food looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a place with fun drink options! I consider the drinks part of the menu to be very important.

      Delete