Sunday 15 November 2020

Recipe Round-Up: Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking

It's been a while, but time to get back to rounding up recipes, and finishing off Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking. You can see my other posts about this book here. As I write this I have an awful head cold, and am home awaiting results of a COVID test. It won't be COVID, we haven't had community transmission here for almost two months, but it still is yucky. Blerh. But now, food.

Hash and Spice: This is a mix of wonderfully seasoned roast potatoes topped with sauteed vegetables (I used a mix of celery, carrot, and zucchini instead of capsicum and peppers, as well as the called for onion and mushrooms) and beans, I left the chili powder out of the vegetables as well. I topped it off with some avocado as well. This is delicious! I got three serves out of it, rather than four. Definitely no not skip the Hash Spice for serving. It is a blend of almonds and spices, leave out the chili powder to make it mild.
Rating: :D

Hash and Spice


Harissa Sprouts and Chickpeas: I scaled down the heat on this big time by leaving out the Harissa Paste all together and just using the teeniest sprinkle of Harissa spice mix (store bought, though there is a recipe for making your own in the book). This is done entirely on the stove-top, sauteed in the Brussels sprouts and chickpeas in a lovely sauce thatis both a little bit sweet and a little bit tangy.
Rating: :)

Harissa Sprouts and 'Peas


Red Curry Scramble with Lime-y Broccoli: I think this was the first thing I made during testing for this book. There is a recipe for Red Curry Paste in the book, or you can use a store-bought one like I did. Of course I decreased the amount of curry paste I used as well. The scramble also has nutritional yeast in it, and that gives a really good flavour with the red curry. The lime broccoli makes a nice side to go with it. Lots of flavours.
Rating: :)

Red Curry Scramble with Limey-Broccoli


Harissa Citrus Veggies: I halved the amount of Harissa spice mix in this, but still found it a touch spicy, so I would suggest just a sprinkle if I was making it again. The Harissa is also in both the roasted potatoes and the sauteed vegie mix, so I'd probably skip it on the potatoes as well. The sauteed veggies are a mix of zucchini, onion, and I used carrot and celery instead of capiscum and jalapenos. They also have black eyed peas in the saute, and use the citrus sauce recipe from the book to give a citrus kick
Rating: :)

Harissa Citrus Veggies and Potatoes


Mango Papaya Smoothie Bowl: Moving into the sweet section of the cookbook now, and boy does my sore throat crave this sweet and ice smoothie bowl right now. I used frozen mango and frozen banana to make sure it was nice and thick, and just cold papaya that had been in the fridge. I used a mix of light coconut milk and plain soy Greek yoghurt instead of 1/2 cup of coconut cream. The bowl is topped with a lovely lemon, ginger, and turmeric syrup that is not too sweet, just nice and tangy. The fun part about smoothie bowls is you can put whatever you want on them to make them pretty, so for this one I used cocoa nibs, slivered almonds, and some fancy Maple Rose Cinnamon coconut flakes that I had bought on super sale. This said it was two serves, but I ate it all as one.
Rating: :)

Mango Papaya Smoothie Bowl


Miso Sweet Cookies: These cookies are SO GOOD! The use white miso and orange juice/zest for a really unique flavour. I found that the orange flavour was stronger on the first day, but on the second the miso really shines through. They are an oat-based cookie, with rolled oats, nuts, and shredded coconut in them. Definitely something to make immediately.
Rating: :D

Miso Sweet Cookies


Pomegranate Sumac Berries: This is another great dessert. Strawberries are roasted with pomegranate molasses and sumac, and then served over ice cream with fresh berries and pomegranate arils. The recipe called for fresh raspberries, but at the time they were super expensive so I used fresh blueberries instead.
Rating: :D

Pomegranate Sumac Berries


Pomegranate Strawberry Granita: This gives an intense flavour! All the recipes in the book that call for pomegranate molasses have the option to make some from another recipe in the book, which I highly recommend as it blows the store bought ones out of the water. This refreshing granita doesn't need any sort of fancy ice cream maker, but does require some time as you need to stir it every hour for four hours once it is in the freezer. But while it takes time, it is not labour intesive.
Rating: :)

Pomegranate Strawberry Granita


Marmite Peanut Butter Halva: Of course the only mite I will use is Vegemite, so that is what I used here. This is SO GOOD! The bonus of the Vegemite is that it is not too sweet, and the flavour gets stronger over time. The recipe calls for a candy thermometer, but mine didn't really seem to work so I just had to eyeball it to guess when it was done. The recipe calls for coconut cream, but I used light coconut milk and it was fine. I spread it a bit thin by accident, but a little goes a long way so that is fine.
Rating: :D

Marmite Peanut Halva


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kittens


What's that you say? You want more kitten content? Happy to oblige. Amazingly, in the space of three days we rehomed six kittens!! So now we just have... seven to go. Hah. Though five of those are too small to be ready yet, but hopefully we will have all of them rehomed as soon as they are able to.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're sick! A smoothie bowl sounds like just the thing in hot weather with a sore throat (or for me any time I'm sick because icy things are easier to swallow with my other issues). I hope you're right about not having COVID and that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Test is back negative! I made a lovely icy green smoothie for breakfast this morning, with a lot of ginger, and my throat also appreciated that.

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! The hash and spice dish looks great, and I'm really intrigued by the miso cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hash and spice looks so good! And I bet the avocado was a nice sub for an egg that is usually on top of hash.
    The miso sweet cookies sound really interesting in a good way!
    Kittens!!!!!
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avocado is so good in so many ways!
      And thank you, I am feeling a bit better now.

      Delete
  4. That's a really interesting set of dishes.... predictably I especially drawn to the sweets! The hash up top is definitely my style too.

    ReplyDelete