Thursday 18 June 2020

Midweek Munchies

Hello friends! I've been back at work for two weeks now, and it is an adjustment. Though it also feels like I was never gone. I am still being very strict about distancing as much as possible, and lots of cleaning. Even though thankfully the situation in Queensland is pretty good. We haven't had any community transmitted cases for a long time (and only had a low number as it is), and the few new cases over the past couple have weeks have all been people who acquired it overseas (and are in strict quarantine until they are recovered). We only have five active cases right now. But still, I remain ever vigilant and on alert! Anyway, it's time to look at some snicky snacks!

A while ago I posted about the vegan friendly Nanna's Apple and Sticky Toffee pies. Well, they have come out with some Apple and Rhubarb ones! I will always choose fruit over toffee, and I am happy to report that these are really good. I still haven't gotten around to baking them in the oven, the convenience of being able to microwave them is just too good when you decide you want a pie on a moment's notice. But one day I shall!

Nannas Vegan Pies


On a trip through The Green Edge pre-isolation, I was happy to find a few exciting new vegan dairy options that did not have coconut oil in them! So far I have only tried the Laud's Oat Melt, which I will post about later so I can show you the stuff I did with it. But I am excited to try the others as well.

Non-Coconut Oil Vegan Dairy from The Green Edge


I got the Made With Plants ready meal on sale - Meatballs and Mash. I had it one night for dinner when I had zero energy and was not very hungry (these ready meals are never enough for me normally). Sadly, from first bite I realised that I hadn't really checked the ingredients - both the sauce and the potatoes had coconut cream in it. Boo! Not enough to make me sick, thankfully, but the flavour really overpowered everything else. STOP PUTTING COCONUT IN EVERYTHING PLEASE.

Made With Plants Meatballs and Mash


This was a super random lunch that I named 'Depression Lunch' because at this time I also had zero energy and my appetite was zilch. This was back when I was on leave. As I didn't really care what I was going to eat, I just took random bits that needed eating. Some leftover congee, a sliced cucumber, some grape tomatoes, and some Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse.

Depression Lunch - Congee, Miyokos, Veggies


I picked up these Vegan Rob's Turmeric Crisps from The Green Edge and let me just say, they are AMAZING! I love the flavour, the pepper in them gives them a bit of bite, the are so savoury and so good, and like all Pringles-style chips, you just can't stop eating them.

Vegan Rob's Turmeric Crisps


Another favourite toasted sandwich combination of mine lately - Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse, BBQ sauce, sauerkraut, and bacon bits. It is goooood.

Miyoko's Smoked Farmhouse, Sauerkraut, BBQ sauce, bacon bits


I was stoked to find cashew So Delicious tubs and sticks at Woolworths pre-quaranting! I grabbed a packet of these and they were quickly devoured. They only had a few flavours, but it was still great to see them becoming more available! Though I just went and looked and couldn't see them in the WW online shopping store, so maybe they are not available any more. I will keep an eye out the next time I brave a supermarket trip there.

So Delicious at Woolworths


I posted about this roast duck a while ago when I used it in a recipe from 350 Best Vegan Recipes to make some Korean BBQ (see that post here). This is the product! They have a range of different vegan meats, found in the cold veggie meats section in Woolworths. You can see here what it looks likes sliced pre-cooking. It already had a lot of flavour in it, so you don't need to do a lot to it to use it!

Plantasia Roast Duck


Plantasia Roast Duck


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim and me


Dim Sim is super into sitting on my lap at least once a day, which I love. And sometimes I just pick her up and hug her into my chest. Last night she just lay like this on my chest for ages, until eventually I had to move her because it was already past our bedtime. It was very very very sweet though, I love us lying like this, hearts beating together.

4 comments:

  1. Cases are up in Utah!! I feel like it's never going to be safe again!!
    I love Vegan Rob;s so much, and dangit I haven't been able to find those crisps anywhere, and I need them!!!
    I'm sure Dim Sim misses you being home all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few times I had to go to work she would want to sit with me as soon as I got home, but on Tuesday I got home and she wasn't bothered. Ha! But we have been having so many snuggle times.

      Delete
  2. The turmeric crisps sound delicious, and I am intrigued by your toasted sandwich!
    Hooray for Dim Sim cuddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I made the sandwich combination by just looking in the fridge for random things that needed using, but it turned out to be something worth repeating!

      Delete