Thursday 16 August 2018

Recipe Round-Up: The Oh She Glows Cookbook

I had a passing familiarity with Angela Liddon's Oh She Glows blog, but being that I prefer to cook from cookbooks, I hadn't made anything from it. Then The Oh She Glows Cookbook came out, and I was finally introduced to Angela's amazing recipes, right on my table. I really like this book, and you can see some of the other things I have made from it here.

Apple Pie Oatmeal: This recipe says it serves one, and one serve is actually quite a filling amount. The apple flavour comes from chopped apple and unsweetened apple sauce (I used slightly less applesauce because that was all I had). The recipe says to cut the apple into 1 inch pieces, but that seemed too big for me, so I cut it into 1 cm pieces, which worked great. I also used almonds instead of walnuts for garnish, because I am not a huge walnut fan. This was a satisfying, not too sweet start to the day.
Rating: :)

Apple Pie Oatmeal


Glowing Mojo-ito Green Monster: This book has several smoothie recipes. This is a refreshing drink, excellent for post-bikram yoga hydration. It uses frozen watermelon, coconut water, apple, avocado, lime, mint, and spinach. It also calls for some ice cubes, but I just used extra frozen watermelon. I also always make sure to chill my apples before adding them to a smoothie, I like everything nice and cold!
Rating; :)

Glowing Mojo-ito Green Monster


Cheerful Chocolate Smoothie: This really is more like a chocolate milkshake in flavour, which makes it a fun start to the day or any time snack. The original recipe uses avocado for the creaminess, though I took the option to use a frozen banana.
Rating: :)

Cheerful Chocolate Smoothie


Velvety Pumpkin Pie Smoothie: I had some leftover tinned pumpkin kicking about, so I took the chance to make this. Tinned pumpkin is not something that you can just buy in the grocery store here, I have to get it from specialty shops. To be honest, I prefer the flavour of butternut to the flavour of the pumpkin in the cans, but this had a nice mix of spices and sweeteners, as well as a frozen banana and some oats, which helped smooth out the taste. I got one large glass from this smoothie. I did not take the option to top it with whipped coconut cream, for obvious reasons, but you could if you were into that sort of thing.
Rating: :)

Velvety Pumpkin Pie Smoothie


Perfected Chickpea Salad Sandwich: I love a chickpea salad, I want to make them all! This one was nice and creamy (you can make your own mayo, but I used Vegenaise), with celery, green onion (I just used one small one, rather than three), and dill pickle (though I used a scoop of gerkhin relish, which was what I had on hand). I left out the capsicum. It says that you can add dill as option, but for me dill is never optional. I enjoyed this two ways - one as a salad, but also in a salad bowl with some leafy greens, celery sticks, tomato, cucumber, and an extra dollop of mayo.
Rating: :)

Perfected Chickpea Salad Sandwich


Perfected Chickpea Salad Sandwich


Indian Lentil-Cauliflower Soup: This book has some lovely soup recipes. This one is packed full of red lentils, cauliflower, spinach, and sweet potato, and I added some peas as well. It comes together easily, and we got three big servings out of it.
Rating: :)

Indian Lentil-Cauliflower Soup


10-Spice Vegetable Soup with Cashew Cream: This makes a lot of soup! It is full of onion, carrots, sweet potato, celery, tomatoes, spinach, and chickpeas. The 10-spice blend is another recipe in the book, which is easy to make. Though technically mine is 9-spice as I left out the cayenne. The cashew cream is mixed into it before simmering.
Rating: :)

10-Spice Vegetable Soup with Cashew Cream


Eat Your Greens Detox Soup: I didn't make this for any sort of detox purposes, I have a liver for that. But after a heavy week of eating out, I was craving something a little lighter and full of vegetables. Onion, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, and kale are the vegetables (I know, only two of them are green), with some lovely spices as well. I topped mine with some shredded nori as suggested, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Rating: :)

Eat Your Greens Detox Soup


Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas with Avocado-Cilantro Cream Sauce: I had a hodgepodge of leftover tortillas and wraps of different sizes, so my enchiladas were a little eccentric, but they worked well. This recipe makes enough to fill five regular sized enchiladas, which is an odd number, but so be it. I left out the capsicum and the chili in this recipe, using a little bit extra sweet potato (about 600g). The enchilada sauce is a 5-minute recipe also from the book that comes together very easily, though actually took me about 10 minutes to make. I cut down the chili in that as well. The avocado cream is lovely, I love all things avocado! I served it with some baby spinach and cauliflower on the side.
Rating: Enchiladas :), Enchilada Sauce :)

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas with Avocado-Cilantro Cream Sauce


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Floofer


Behold the magnificent belleh floof!

13 comments:

  1. I so agree with you, smoothies must be COLD!
    I like that there are a lot of soups in the book because soup is life!!
    That is a magnificent floofy belly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A warm or even cool smoothie is just not pleasant to me!

      Delete
  2. Apple pie oatmeal sounds awesome, and the chickpea salad looks great both ways!
    Kitty belly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of apples on their own, but I love it when they are cooked into things like this.

      Delete
  3. i have been curious about her book, because i have it, but haven't really used it much, i never seem to pay attention to smoothie recipes in cookbooks, but the Glowing Mojo-ito Green Monster sounds/looks like something i would really like. great (and helpful) review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped! I have both her books (round up on that one will be coming soon), but this one is definitely my favourite.

      Delete
  4. When I was first transitioning to veganism, I checked that cookbook out of the public library, and one of the first things I made was that chickpea salad. It was one of the things that made me believe I was going to be okay and this life was going to be possible for me. (And dill is ALWAYS a good idea.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, never say no to dill. ;) I am so glad that this book was able to help!

      Delete
  5. Great round up. I have this book but haven't made any of these! I've made some of the thing in your other posts though. You've made me want to revisit this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to revisit it as well! Doing this round up reminded me of all the unmade recipes I have marked that look great.

      Delete
  6. Everything looks and sounds wonderful but I could really go for a sandwich right now! teeheee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandwiches are amazing! I could really go a sandwich any time. ;)

      Delete
  7. "This recipe says it serves one, and one serve is actually quite a filling amount"
    That is one thing that I like about Angela- reasonable sizes for "healthy" foods. I remember she posted a "pregnancy" smoothie packed with buttloads of veggies, and man, she wasn't messing around 500 calories, for one serving of a smoothie. I mean, that might not seem too big of a deal, but she has a very "health food" based fanbase. So I like how she eats like a normal human being.

    Funny thing is that I think you made everything different than I did. I think I made those enchiladas, but I changed so much with them aside from the sauce. And I used her sauce as the base for making some at home with fresh tomatoes, I froze it and used it up over time. I should do that again this summer before all the tomatoes are gone.

    ReplyDelete