Monday 24 July 2017

Recipe Round-Up: Chloe's Kitchen

Time for another recipe round up! This time we are heading back to Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarella. You can see what else I have cooked from this book here.

Chloe's Favourite Five-Minute Salad Chloe uses a combination of mashed avocado and sushi vinegar as the dressing, which was delicious! The salad itself had mixed greens and tomato in it, I left out the scallions, but you could really add anything into it. Chloe said it served 6, which I guess if you served it in a thimble would be true. I got two side serves out of this (served with some boxed vegan lasagna), but really you could eat the whole thing on your own.
Rating: :D

Chloe's Favourite Five-Minute Salad


Classic Roasted Vegetables: This is a fairly straight forward recipe, using cauliflower, broccoli and carrots as the vegetables. She calls for 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil, though I used a lot less - just enough to lightly coat the vegetables. Using that much seems like it would have just been drowning in oil.
Rating: :)

Classic Roasted Vegetables


Teriyaki Wok Vegetables: Chloe provides a simple teriyaki sauce recipe to mix up for these veggies. Chloe suggests using carrot, bok choy, onion, mushrooms, zucchini and snow peas, though you could really use anything you fancied. I didn't have any onion so I left that out, and I also added some dry roasted cashews at the end. I only needed to add about half the amount of sauce for the veggies. This served three over rice.
Rating: :)

Teriyaki Wok Vegetables


LA-Style Chimichurri Tacos: I could only seem to get terrible photos of this yummy dinner. It has three components for the filling - tomato rice (which I adapted to make in the rice cooker), a chimichurri sauce, and a mushroom and black bean filling. The sauce was a bit runny, though I used a mix of pasta water and oil rather than the full 1/2 cup of olive oil (I don't have anything against oil in general, but personally things that have a lot of oil in them tend to make me feel sick). I topped them with some Sour Cream, also from the book. It is a tofu based sour cream, and at first had quite a strong soy taste. However it mellowed quickly.
Rating: Tacos :), Sour Cream :)

LA-Style Chimichurri Tacos


Baked Sprinkle Doughnuts: Confession: deep frying terrifies me, so I have only ever made baked doughnuts. These ones are delicious! There is an option between making a chocolate glaze or an old fashioned glaze, and you can see I have tried both (I coloured the old fashioned one pink), and I have topped them with all sorts of things. The recipe calls for piping the doughnuts into the doughnut pan, and while this does give a nice smooth all over appearance, sometimes I skip the step and just spoon it into the pan. I've made these a few times for bake sales, and they are definitely popular. I generally do a triple dip of the glaze to ensure a nice, thick, smooth covering.
Rating: :D

Baked Sprinkle Doughnuts


Baked Sprinkle Doughnuts


Iced Apple Cake Squares: These are so delicious! It rises quite high in the pan, giving the squares a definite cake vibe rather than a slice. They have a great flavour, and are wonderfully moist (sorry if that word creeps you out). They are topped with a simple icing. As always, I would have preferred it without the icing. Though I was making them for a bake sale and I know how people like their sugar!
Rating: :D

Iced Apple Cake Squares


Sea Salt Toffee Bars: I thought these were just OK (though disclaimer, toffee and caramel aren't my favourites, I was making these for a bake sale). The base is quick to make, but I found needed an extra 10 minutes to go golden in the oven. I had some issues making the caramel following the instructions as written, it didn't almost burnt and then ended up quite thick and hard to spread. Granted I haven't made many caramels, so if I had more experience I would have had a better intuition about how to handle it, but the instructions for a novice may not end up well. As always, be sure to put on lots of salt!
Rating: :|

Sea Salt Toffee Bars


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara's 7th Birthday


Last week was five months since Sahara passed away. Time goes too fast.

8 comments:

  1. Those desserts look delicious! I could go for a couple of doughnuts (baked doughnuts are my favourite!), a square of apple cake, and a sea salt toffee bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a gift with desserts! I love baked doughnuts as well.

      Delete
  2. I love baked donuts too but I tried to make them once and they were such a fail haha. Yours look great.

    I think i have this book but haven't made anything from it. Will have to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had success with her baked doughnut recipes, and also with the ones from Bake and Destroy.

      Delete
  3. I really need to try making baked donuts someday; yours look perfect! Aww, that is so cute how Sahara had her tail wrapped around her toy! Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sahara's tail was very good and wrapping around things. <3

      Delete
  4. Oh man, those baked doughnuts are gorgeous!!! I also always cut oil back. I feel like 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp is all most recipes need, and so many call for, like, triple that! Sahara was sooooooo beautiful. :-( <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was beautiful. <3
      A lot of cookbooks do seem to get over excited with the oil!

      Delete