Wednesday 7 December 2016

ALQ December Bake Sale at The Green Edge

Over the weekend I organised another bake sale for Animal Liberation QLD. Once again it was held at the wonderful The Green Edge. Buckle in, because there are a lot of photos! First up, the new things that I made for the bake sale.

Cranberry and Almond Cookies: This is actually the Soulhaus cookies I make all the time from Great Gluten Free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer, but as my chocolate chip stash was low I swapped them out for cranberries and almonds for yummy variation.
Rating: :)

Cranberry and Almond Cookies


Chocolate Cherry Slice from Vegan Indulgence by Leigh Drew. One of my favourite recipes ever, I love the chocolate cherry combination. Plus they are topped with a cream cheese based icing, so they are basically chocolate cherry cheesecake bars. I have made this recipe before, but not for a while and not for a bake sale.
Rating: :D

Chocolate Cherry Slice


Chocolate Orange Gluten Freedom Cupcake are a variation I made from the chocolate GF cupcakes in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. I added one and a half teaspoons of orange essence to the batter, which results in a very chocolate orange kind of taste. I glazed the top with some chocolate glaze (see below) and some leftover orange buttercream that I had hanging around in the freezer.
Rating: :)

Chocolate Orange GF Cupcakes


Chocolate Brownie Slice topped with Oh-So-Rich Chocolate Glaze from Naturally Lean by Allyson Kramer. The cake is an oil free cake, with banana and applesauce in the batter. I could taste the banana in the cake, but most other people couldn't. I liked the flavour, but I did find the cake a touch dry. But the glaze... oh, the glaze. It is so quick, so simple, firms up so nicely, and is perfectly rich and chocolatey without being too sweet. I will be using this a lot, like when I made another batch to put on the cupcakes above.
Rating: Cake :), Glaze :D

Chocolate Brownie Cake


Carrot Applesauce Muffins from Naturally Lean by Allyson Kramer. These were OK, but a little bland. They were crying out for some sultanas and nuts to make it a bit more like a carrot cake. My muffin cases were quite large, so I got nine rather that 12, and baked them for 30 minutes rather than 25.
Rating: :|

Carrot Applesauce Muffins


Nut and Fruit Granola Bars from Oatrageous Oatmeals by Kathy Hester. I really liked these. They are held together by tinned pumpkin and flaxseeds and are oil free, with oats and nuts and fruit mixed through. They are also sugar free, but I added a bit of maple syrup. I used a mix of cranberries, sultanas, almonds, walnuts and pepitas for my mix. They are a bit gummy right after baking, but the texture improves with a day or two in the fridge. There were some of these left over, and they have made great snacks to have on hand.
Rating: :)

Nut and Fruit Granola Bars


Pistachio Rosewater Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. These re very sweet and delicate cupcakes. I love rosewater, so I used the full amount. The recipe calls for chopped pistachios, and talks about chopped nuts in the cupcakes in the description, but the instructions don't seem to mention adding the nuts, so I just stirred them through at the end before putting into the liners. These cupcakes rose quite nicely. The glaze ended up being more like an icing, quite thick. I tinted it pink as well for fun. The recipe calls for pink decorating sugar crystals, which I could never find, but I did get some pink sprinkles. But I didn't end up using them as I made the glaze quite pink.
Rating: :)

Pistachio Rosewater Cupcakes


Elvis Cupcakes from The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. These are banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, coconut bacon and a caramelised banana slice. I will do a full write up of these when I get to doing my Superfun Times recipe round up. I changed the icing around so that I could leave out the coconut oil, so stay tuned for that.

Elvis Cupcakes


And of course I made some Berry Patch Brownies.

Berry Patch Brownies


And now, on to the other things that were there!

Gluten Free Lamingtons.

GF Lamingtons


Vanilla Oreo Cakes.

Vanilla Oreo Cakes


Chocolate Caramel Tarts.

Caramel Tarts with Ganache


Cookie Dough Doughnuts.

Cookie Dough Doughnuts


GF Gingerbread Cookies.

Gingerbread Cookies


GF Lemon, Macadamia and Apricot Fudge Slice.

GF Lemon Macadamia Apricot Fudge Slice


Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Cookies.

Blueberry Pecan Breakfast Cookies


Jam Drops.

Jam Drops


Shortbread and Peanut Butter Fudge.

Shortbread and PB Fudge


Lemon Curd Cupcakes. The lemon curd is based on sweet potato. I bought one of these and it was delicious!

Lemon Curd Cupcakes


Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes.

Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes


Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cupcakes


Walnut Brownies.

Walnut Brownies


GF Fluffernutters. Peanut Butter Cookies with Marshmallow filling.

GF Fluffernutters


Chocolate Covered Meringes.

Chocolate Covered Meringues


Mini Scones with Jam and Cream.

Mini Scones with Jam and Cream


Mini Pavlovas.

Mini Pavlova


Table shot.

Bake sale


Gluten Free Table Shot.

GF table


It ended up being a pretty slow day, not quite as successful as our previous bake sales. Perhaps the heat of the day or the fact that it is December meant there weren't as many people who could come along. Still, we made over $700 for ALQ, which isn't too shabby. I am so thankful to everyone who baked, helped on the stalls, came along, and of course to The Green Edge

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Shari Rose


This little girl is called Shari Rose, and she is looking for her forever home! She is one of the adoption kitties at our Clayfield clinic. She is very cheeky and very cute, so if you are in the area and thinking about adopting a special friend, why not check her out?

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks great (as always!); the pistachio rosewater cupcakes look especially pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I want one of each! I've always wanted to try the rosewater cupcakes from VCTOTW, but I never have had rosewater handy. The PB fluffernutter cookies sound amazing. And omg that fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bianca, I want one of everything!! That's an amzing thing to do having that delicious bake sale!
    Shari Rose looks like she could be Kanye's sister!!! I hope she finds her perfect human!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your bakesale posts. Well done on raising so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness so much baked deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete