Monday 27 July 2015

USA 2015 Part 5: Austin After VVC

Just because VVC was over didn't mean that everything was. The next day I met up with a group of people for brunch at the famous Bouldin Creek Cafe.

vvc-goodbye-breakfast


I couldn't say no to the famous Rennedict, which I had with a side of very juicy grapefruit. This was AMAZING! This place has the best tofu scramble in the world, each bit was coated in delicious noochy goodness. I still dream of this.

Rennedict with Grapefruit from Bouldin Creek


I also tried a little bit of delicious potato and leak scramble.

Potato and Leek Scramble from Bouldin Creek


Bouldin Creek is very close to Rabbit Food Grocery, which is such an awesome place, and is probably my favourite vegan store ever! I didn't have much room to buy all the wonderful things I could have, given that I had all my swag bag goodies to pack and flight baggage limits to stay under. But I bought a few fun things.

Rabbit Food Grocery purchases


Afterwards we went to Thai Fresh to check out their vegan ice cream options. Unfortunately their ice creams had a very heavy coconut base, and after a sample I could tell it would be too much coconut fat for me. They had a lot of fun flavours that other people tried, and the tamarind flavour I sampled was pretty great. Luckily they also had a case full of vegan desserts. I had a a lovely blueberry crumble slice with an iced chai. Jojo ordered a peanut butter caramel chocolate pie, which seems to be similar to the Smlove pie from VWAV. I tried a tiny bit, it was great but so rich!

Blueberry Crumble Slice from Thai Fresh


Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Pie from Thai Fresh


I had a free afternoon then, so I decided to get some culture at the Bullock Texas State History Museum, turns out that Texas has quite the history! It was a Republic briefly! Lots of people killed each other! There is a really big star there! There was also a pretty cool little exhibit about Roller Derby, which was fun.

Texas State History Museum


I was craving some vegetables for dinner, and Christy recommended Koriente. It was just what I needed! Especially after a bit of a walk to get there. Through a field of SQUIRRELS! (More ont hat ina later post.) I started with a hummus roll that came with some peanut sauce, and a miso soup. Then moved on to a Shiitake Tofu Bowl with brown rice and broccoli, because I love tofu and mushrooms. I also had an iced red tea, yum.

Hummus Roll (with peanut sauce_ and Miso Soup from Koriente


Shiitake Tofu Bowl with Broccoli and Iced Tea from Koriente


After dinner I met up with some vegans at Rattle Inn for a Two-Step lesson as a Texas experience. It was fun, though I felt a bit awkward to after the lesson I was happy to watch.

The next morning, my last day in Austin, I went out to Biscuits and Groovy for part one of breakfast. I had the MC Hammer (scrambled tofu, maple bacon, cheese and chives) with home fries. I only realised later I should have also have asked for a side of gravy so that I actually had biscuits and gravy!

MC Hammer with Home Fries from Biscuits and Groovy


Breakfast part two found me back at The Steeping Room for the Vegan Breakfast Bowl with a side of Tempeh Bacon, and an Iced Spring Bud Chai (nutmeg and vanilla) on soy. The bowl had black beans, potatoes, greens and cashew sauce, and was nice. The tempeh bacon was good, but at $3 for three tiny strips of bacon was a bit steep!

Vegan Breakfast Bowl with Tempeh Bacon and Iced Spring Bud Chai from Steeping Room


On my way back to the AirBnB, I stopped by Central Market, which is a pretty nifty grocery store with a lot of vegan things. And then I went back to pack, as I was getting up at stupid o'clock the next morning to leave Austin. And also to hang out in the aircon, because it was hot!

My plan was to catch a bus to meet Kelly at Cherrywood Coffeehouse for afternoon tacos (it's a thing). However I accidentally waited at the slightly wrong corner and watched the bus go right by me. The next one didn't come for 40 minutes, so I power walked there instead. Hot!! Anyway, it was worth it to see Kelly and to enjoy a yummy tofu, avocado and potato taco. When they say potato, what they mean is shoe string fries! Yes please! I also had a hibiscus iced mint tea, because I was super hot after my walk!

Taco with avocado, tofu and potato and Iced Tea from Cherrywood


Kelly headed off to the airport, and I successfully managed to wait at the right stop to catch a bus back to my AirBnB and finish getting ready for the morning. Then I headed out for pre-dinner ice cream (this is also a thing) at Sweet Ritual.

Sweet Ritual


This time I was going for some fancy flavours. I had the Cinnamonkey Elephantastic, which is peanut butter, cinnamon and banana, with peanut shell. I also had a scoop of watermelon sorbet, which didn't scoop well at all but was so sweet and refreshing and delicious!

Watermelon Sorbet and Cinnamonkey Elephantastic with peanut shell from Sweet Ritual


For dinner I tried out Love Balls, a vegan-friendly Japanese street food truck at Spider House. I got the Vegan Side Set, which had miso, grilled onigiri, seaweed salad and bean sprout salad. It was delicious!

Side Set from Love Balls: Miso Soup, onigiri, seaweed salad, bean sprout salad.


Austin (Spider House)


Then it was back home to try and get an early night for my super early morning!



Sahara with her Panda With Cookie Pirate Carrot


Sahara with the Panda With Cookie pirate carrot cat toy I bought for the girls from Rabbit Food.

2 comments:

  1. Yuuuuuuuum. Sahara looks very pleased at the offering you have bestowed upon her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jojo's peanut butter caramel chocolate pie looks insanely delicious! Your restaurant food posts always make me wish I weren't such a silly germaphobe.

    Mr. Wing-It would be all over that watermelon sorbet! I should try to make him some. That would score me some major points.

    I had to chuckle when I read about you waiting at the slightly wrong corner and watching the bus go right by you. Not because I was laughing at you, but because that is totally something I would do! :)

    ReplyDelete