Saturday 25 April 2015

Recipe Round-Up: Veganomicon

All hail the mighty Vcon!

Beanball Sub and salad with Mediterranean Olive Oil and Lemon Vinaigrette: This recipe is a conglomeration of a few others - beanballs (based on kidney beans), marinara sauce and pine nut cream. Unfortunately I could only get some standard soft white rolls, which ended up going a bit smooshy. But it was still pretty amazing! I just made a half quantity of the balls, sauce and cream which was enough for four rolls. The dressing for the salad has a very strong taste, and was a bit gritty due to the dried herbs.
Rating: Sub :), Dressing :)

Beanball Sub with salad with Mediterranean Olive Oil and Lemon Vinaigrette


Beanball Sub


Blue Flannel Hash: a fun and simple brunch dish using blue potatoes (though mine were more purple), tempeh, onion and seasonings. It goes nicely with a salad for brinner! Served here with a Caesar from How It All Vegan.
Rating: :)

Blue Flannel Hash; Caesar Salad (HIAV)


Pumpkin Saag and Poppy-Seed Cornmeal Roti: This saag has a subtle flavour but it is really lovely. It makes fairly small serves, however it was a nicely rounded out meal with some carby sides. The poppy seed-cornmeal roti is a bit rough to look at, I haven't had much experience making them, but they were fun and yummy! Also served with some basmati rice and some homemade chutney (from Vegan Planet).
Rating: Saag :). Roti :)

Pumpkin Saag; Basmati Rice; Poppy-Seed Cornmeal Roti; Five-Spice Pear Chutney (VP)


Manzana Chili Verde and Jalapeno-Onion Skillet Corn Bread: This is a great tangy chili, filled with potatoes, tomatillos, beans and apple! I made it also be nice and mild by only using one jalapeno and no poblano. I also can't find fresh tomatillos here so I used tinned ones. The cornbread is great, I particularly love the way the onions and chiles on top go so sweet. I don't have a cast-iron skillet to bake in, so I just used a baking pan.
Rating: Chili :), Corn Bread :)

Manzana Chili Verde; Jalapeno-Onion Skillet Corn Bread


Grilled Yuca Tortillas, Guacamole and Tropical Avocado Salsa Fresca: This fun combination makes great party food or a first course. The yuca tortillas (I had to use frozen yuca as I can't find fresh) were a little bland on their own, but with the guac and salsa become amazing! The guacamole is a fairly basic recipe, with a series of optional add-ins. I liked to add chopped tomato. The tropical avocado salsa fresca is amazing! Tomato, paw paw (you can also use pineapple or mango), avocado and cilantro. Yum! My mum is avocado allergic (tragedy), so I made some for her with cucumber instead of the avocado.
Rating: Tortillas :), Guac :), Salsa :D

Grilled Yuca Tortillas; Guacamole; Tropical Avocado Salsa Fresca


Grilled Yuca Tortillas


Sun-Dried Tomato Dip: This dip is based on lots of sun-dried tomatoes, almonds and white beans. I found it a bit too strong in the sun-dried tomato flavour on it's own, but when served with some cream cheese or cheese I preferred it.
Rating: :|

Sun-Dried Tomato Dip


A Hummus Recipe: Straight forward hummus, this is a good recipe with a lovely texture. The recipe calls for using a blender for a really creamy texture, but unless you have a super power blender I recommend just some extra time in the food processor as it is very thick.
Rating: :)

A Hummus Recipe


Snobby Joes: This sloppy recipe is lentil based, and makes four satisfying sandwiches. Skip the capsicum, add some chopped celery.
Rating: :)

Snobby Joes


Escarole with Capers and White Beans: This is a simple dinner served over brown rice. I used two heads of baby endive and a whole tin of white beans (rather than just one cup). It made two servings. And is excellent with nooch!
Rating: :)

Escarole with Capers and White Beans


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim is alert


Dim Sim is eyeing me off from the desk in my room. I was in bed and reading, she was PAYING ATTENTION and wondering if I might want to play with her ribbon. She got what she wanted.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm, Veganomicon! Another favourite cookbook I have been neglecting for some time. I have recently finished recipe testing for Vegan Richa so no excuse for not using some of my older books. I haven't tried those Snobby Joes yet - they look great especially with those, are they Potato Gems?, peeking through - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you've been eating very well! I keep toying with the idea of reaching back into my beloved but neglected cookbooks once a week. V'con is huge, and I'm sure I barely scratched the surface on the recipes in it, even though I cooked from it a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia - They are indeed potato gems. I LOVE potato gems!

    Cadry - My poor Vcon hasn't seen that much action lately. But because I have been taking photos of every recipe I've made for the last 8 years or so but have not been blogging at a fast enough rate for that, I have huge backlogs of old photos to share. But these posts do inspire me to pull out these books and try some more things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another classic! I believe Veganomicon was my first vegan cookbook. Unless it was VCTOTW? Can't remember!

    That beanball sub looks so messy in the best possible way! *drool*

    I have never made that cornbread, but I love things with onions on top so I should make it. Plus it looks so pretty!

    Who could say no to that sweet little kitteh face?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How have I never made any of these recipes? Ridiculous! The beanball sub is the one I'm most surprised that I've skipped, that's my kinda food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the first vegan cookbook I bought, and I think I've only used it twice! Your pictures have motivated me to have another look and bookmark some recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!
    You won a copy of Annie's e-book! Please email me, as I can't find a better way to contact you anywhere!!
    kittee68 at gmail dot com.

    Congrats!
    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete