Sunday 14 June 2009

Recipe Round-Up: Vegan Planet #2

I'm currently on call at the clinic, however this week I had the foresight to bring along Vegan Planet with me so I can do another recipe round up post at least! I am a pretty big fan of Vegan Planet, it has many great recipes in it and generally I am always happy with what I make from it. Last time I did Vegan Planet round up it focused on Asian-themed dishes. Today I am doing a bit of a round up on some pasta dishes with a couple of extras as well. So, let us get on with the photos.


Tuscan-Style Pasta with Chickpeas, Zucchini and Rosemary. Served with roasted asparagus, my favourite way to eat asparagus! I added some mushrooms to it, just because I could. It is really quick to make, and a great option for a day when you get home from work late and want something easy and yummy to eat.


Spring Vegetable Gratin. I am sad I don't also have an inside shot of this, because it is fabulous! The vegetables involved are potatoes, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and asparagus. It is wonderful, and develops this buttery flavour even though there is nothing remotely buttery in it! It's not filling enough on it's own. I cannot remember what I served with it but I think it may have been vegan sausages and bread roll. The book suggests a bruschetta for a side with a garlicky bean topping, which I think would be great.


Mac and 'Cheese'. I am on a mission to try every single vegan mac and cheese recipe in the world. There is something I just love about it. It is real comfort food for me. This was an excellent representation of this beloved dish. It is quite saucy. I also increased the amount of nooch the recipe called for, because I am addicted to the stuff. I served it with some sauteed broccolini (which I saute with some Maggi seasoning, nom).


Linguine Tetrazzini. I haven't written anything in my notes section on this, except a smiley face. It was pretty nummy. The recipe suggested serving with a bread roll and steamed green beans. I made it roasted green beans because they are awesome.


'Sausage' and Fennel Cannelloni. I haven't done much cannelloni before. I buy the standard dry cannelloni rolls from the supermarket, which may be smaller than the ones you can get in America because I had a lot of mixture left over, even with downgrading the 2 medium-sized fennel bulbs to one small fennel bulb. Be sure to chop your fennel finely otherwise it is too chunky to fit in your tubes! Also I used reconstituted TVP mince instead of crumbled soy sausage. It was not bad overall. I served it with a rocket and corn salad with balsamic vinegar.


Linguine with Sage and White Bean Sauce. I found the sauce a bit dry in this recipe, though overall it was still fairly nice. Not protein-y enough or vegetable-y enough to make a full meal on its own, I served it with a Fry's Schnitzel and a green salad.


Mushroom-Soy Pastitsio. I ended up increasing the amount of tomato paste and seasoning for this because otherwise it might be a bit bland. I also decreased the amount of pasta by half from 500g to 250g because I generally find that 500g of pasta makes a way too huge amount and I prefer to have more of the rest of the meal and a bit less of the pasta. I tend to always do this with all pasta recipes calling for 500g! Served with baby spinach leaves.


Brown Rice and Chickpeas with Broccoli Rabe. And last but not least for this post is this tasty dish. It makes you feel really warm and healthy and satisfied when you eat it. It doesn't have a strong flavour, so it lends itself to a variety of sauces. Here it is modeling some Apricot BBQ Sauce from Veganomicon. I also served it with some vegan sausages, but baked tofu would be awesome as well. And, of course, a green salad.

3 comments:

  1. ooh it all looks yummy, especially the gratin! yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "Kittens Gone Lentil: Recipe Round-Up" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


    Warm Regards

    foodnrecipes.info Team

    http://www.foodnrecipes.info

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow as a pasta lover this post's just perfect. I think I'm going to buy vegan planet right now!

    ReplyDelete