Sunday 5 November 2023

Recipe Round-Up: Cookin' Crunk

Finally finishing my current round-up from Cookin' Crunk by Bianca Phillips. You can see my other posts about this book here.

Brown-Sugar Baked Ham with Caramelised Cabbage and Onion: I have made this ham recipe twice, because the first time I realised that I only put in 1 tsp of brown sugar instead of 1 TBS! Ooops. Definitely make sure to get that right. The marinade is very easy to make. The actual recipe in the book uses leftover marinade to make a coffee gravy, but as I am coffe adverse I skipped this and used a normal gravy. I also served it with the cabbage and onion dish. This one is quite sweet (it does have sugar in it) but very nice. Excellent with some roasted potatoes and the salty gravy.
Rating: Tofu Ham :), Cabbage and Onion :)

Caramlised Cabbage and Onion; Brown Sugar-Baked Tofu Ham


Chocolate Gravy: This is easy to make and sort of a cross between a chocolate sauce and a chocolate pudding. The book suggests serving it over some buttermilk biscuits (recipe also in the book), but I took an easier route and served it over some pancakes (purchased ready made and heated in the oven), vanilla yoghurt, and berries.
Rating: :)

Chocolate Gravy


Bringing Home the Tempeh Bacon: This bacon has a lovely marinade that includes hoisin sauce (yum) and is very easy to put together. There is heaps of marinade, so I froze the leftovers to make future batches. I served this bacon so many ways. Over some mac and cheese, in a BLT, and snacked right on its own.
Rating: :)

Bringin' Home the Tempeh Bacon


Bringin' Home the Tempeh Bacon


No-Tell Ro*Tel Cheese Dip: I've never had the original before, but this is a vegan silken tofu based version. I love a silken tofu based dip or sauce. I did use plain tomatoes instead of tomatoes with green chiles. It came together super fast, and thickens up very well on the stove. Instead of serving it as a dip, I used it to make nachos.
Rating: :)

No-Tell Ro*Tel Cheese Dip


BBQ 'Pulled' Tempeh and Carrot: This is meant to be made as a sandwich filling, alongside some crunchy coleslaw. But I switched it up and turned it into a bowl instead. It is really easy to make, with crumbled tempeh, grated carrots, and BBQ sauce the main features. I served it over some rice, spinach, and roasted carrots and drizzled with some more BBQ sauce and a creamy bottled dressing.
Rating: :)

BBQ Pulled Tempeh and Carrot


And there ends this current go through of Cookin' Crunk! I really wanted to get it wrapped up today, because I have an exciting week coming up. Tomorrow my friends Molly and Helen (and Molly's friend Sharnette) are arriving from the US to come and visit me for a a week! I haven't seen Molly in 6 years since she was last here, and it has been even longer since I visited Helen in Seattle. I had a longstanding plan that after Dim Sim passed, I was going to drop everything and take off to Seattle to cry on Helen's couch for a few months, but COVID ruined that coping strategy. I will of course share our adventures on the blog.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Eloise


Eloise, lying on her back, looking at the ceiling fan.



4 comments:

  1. Wow your cheese dip looks so yummy that I am going to have to make that recipe soon! Based on your last post, I picked up some Netflix and Chill'd ice cream. Very tasty. - Sri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never think to put chocolate gravy on pancakes. Honestly, never thought to put it on literally ANYTHING else but biscuits, never heard of it, never saw such a thing, but seemingly obviously to me now it would be good on pancakes! I just wouldn't say you've had the chocolate gravy experience, yet, until you've had it on a biscuit. So please do try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete